Live from the Legend!! December 19-26, 2021 with Kmom.

KmomChicago

One more coffee and some gluten to revv things up for the day. A2CB640F-34EA-4313-B845-BC544F8EB117.thumb.jpeg.acfa3aedf5a082f4844d38e7e1f9df11.jpeg

That’s a bold word. Challenge accepted.

2E3679A3-DE5A-4F40-99DE-93CB15D670BD.thumb.jpeg.d3b8512384f7e35a3d86336c0f696d40.jpeg

Gotta prime the digestion for the sea day vittles.

The muffin is fine, moist and cinnamon-y which I always like but “glorious” is a little overly ambitious branding.

On the other hand, Barry White just came on over the PA which certainly adds a little glory to any experience. I can’t get enough of your love either, Babe!

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

Signing off for a bit now as the fam is getting moving. But first I bring tea to my mom in our grand suite from up in the Unicorn.

Check out our sweet in-room original artwork!!24E52FD7-4B02-4A6E-9885-853928B8BBBE.thumb.jpeg.a8d63ae238cafdaa1410930d7eee1145.jpeg

4C6CD4FF-CD32-4FA4-9C0E-77BD16FD417D.thumb.jpeg.7dfd5b0d2dda4620f5703d7119ee6697.jpeg

BF4E9058-BD7B-4A61-B4A1-B38FBC22EBD4.thumb.jpeg.df9cf6f1e9c42b82dfdcd6feb735463b.jpeg

4F56CF1A-5DCD-40C3-B968-04301F661208.thumb.jpeg.4b611e587852403a71d74eca6cf44273.jpeg

Do not leave home without an insulated cup of some kind.

Also ship is really rocking which is fine but you have to have decent balance. And the ship is creaking with the movement but prolly won’t snap in half like the Titanic after proving herself seaworthy for twenty some years before today.

And the Scootaround is borderline worthless between the heavy room doors, twisty hallways and tight spaces in pubic rooms. Didn’t expect that after it worked out very nicely in a Jr. Suite in Adventure of the Seas back in The Before, circa August 2019. We’ll manage okay and mom is hobbling around all right with her cane so far.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

here. We’ll be enjoying my least favorite holiday here facing the opposite direction in a few days

Feel like you are a kindred spirit! Great pictures too. At least the “old” designs have personality & uniqueness.  Now everything is the same blah bland. 
great start to vacation so far!

• Thanks 1

I appreciate your great attitude about the decor and so glad to know they're doing the individual muster drills. Your posts are wildly entertaining and informative, and so much more. Reading about your mom's scooter issues, as well as the motion of the ship,  I want to pick your brain a bit. My husband uses a walker for short distances, but has a wheelchair for anything more than a few hundred steps. We had already agreed that we need the wheelchair for the cruise, because there is so much walking on a ship, and because balance becomes such an issue when she starts wobbling. I have trouble staying upright on a ship under the calmest of seas! We already thought about getting in and out of the cabin  - I'll hold the door, he'll use his walker to get in and out. I'll fold up the chair and move that in and out. But now I'm wondering, will we have trouble navigating hallways and other public spaces? When we contacted Carnival's special needs handicapped accessibility people they didn't mention that at all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dcwalker said:

I appreciate your great attitude about the decor and so glad to know they're doing the individual muster drills. Your posts are wildly entertaining and informative, and so much more. Reading about your mom's scooter issues, as well as the motion of the ship,  I want to pick your brain a bit. My husband uses a walker for short distances, but has a wheelchair for anything more than a few hundred steps. We had already agreed that we need the wheelchair for the cruise, because there is so much walking on a ship, and because balance becomes such an issue when she starts wobbling. I have trouble staying upright on a ship under the calmest of seas! We already thought about getting in and out of the cabin  - I'll hold the door, he'll use his walker to get in and out. I'll fold up the chair and move that in and out. But now I'm wondering, will we have trouble navigating hallways and other public spaces? When we contacted Carnival's special needs handicapped accessibility people they didn't mention that at all.

The last few times my late husband and I cruised or went to hotels where he used a scooter or wheelchair we used a little device called a Wedge-It. You put it between door and frame and it props the door open. Learned about it through a bellhop who was using one.

Hope the link comes through @KmomChicago.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wedge-It-The-Ultimate-Door-Stop-Orange/688260556?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101025743&&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=aud-1025716567856:pla-51320962143&wl5=9009667&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=238465767&wl11=online&wl12=688260556&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8ICOBhDmARIsAEGI6o3I0R_V0ODxcrUeA_vA1vv9zIGW7wzG9U3rHqDAqbs23cCpzUpTzgQaAhzxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dcwalker said:

I’ll get back to you on this.

We eked out a win at the last trivia of the day and actually one of the few trophies. There’s a shortage, y’all!! They are giving loathesome medallions instead! Inconceivable!

Next up, slightly less sloppy evening wear so they let us into the dining room for the fancy food. Mom wants lobster, DH wants that or prime rib, I’m thinking root vegetables in pie crust. Living large all right!

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, HeyJut said:

The last few times my late husband and I cruised or went to hotels where he used a scooter or wheelchair we used a little device called a Wedge-It. You put it between door and frame and it props the door open. Learned about it through a bellhop who was using one.

Hope the link comes through @KmomChicago.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wedge-It-The-Ultimate-Door-Stop-Orange/688260556?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101025743&&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=aud-1025716567856:pla-51320962143&wl5=9009667&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=238465767&wl11=online&wl12=688260556&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8ICOBhDmARIsAEGI6o3I0R_V0ODxcrUeA_vA1vv9zIGW7wzG9U3rHqDAqbs23cCpzUpTzgQaAhzxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks, this is something I’d recommend for sure. 

Our suite after the bed was separated. We do prepaid grats but I handed our guy some sort of currency today as well to thank him. 

The carpet is in good enough shape that it might be new from the recent dry dock. Smells clean in the room, no sign of any damage anywhere on the carpet.

D3A36081-347E-4C21-BFB0-1B6BCF9509D9.thumb.jpeg.b3956d4cbcc9c1605a192f334b4a5d36.jpeg

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I am having intermittent trouble logging into CC but this was happening before the cruise as well so I’m not sure of the issue. All was fine back in August.

Yep, CC was even worse than normal today trying to navigate or even log in to the site. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dcwalker said:

If I may interject here. We were on the Legend last week. I am slightly handicapped in that I walk with a cane. As far as the stateroom doors are concerned, it could definitely be an issue. They are hard to open and trying to walk thru with just my cane proved challenging at times. Lucky my DW was there to hold it open for me at times.

The main areas of the ship are fine but the hallways towards the cabins are winding in spots and pretty narrow. There were many scooters and wheelchairs on board. Elevators are also fairly narrow but deep.

They did allow people with scooters on the tender to Ocean Cay.

Cheers

Len

• Like 4

I love your comments about the decor. My first ever cruise was on The Fantasy. I loved how whimsical and fun it was. Then I became a mainstay on NCL. Over the years so much of their decor has changed to neutral colors. I miss the wow factor and checking out the cool unique details of every venue.

Edited by AKR2011
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Our suite after the bed was separated. We do prepaid grats but I handed our guy some sort of currency today as well to thank him. 

The carpet is in good enough shape that it might be new from the recent dry dock. Smells clean in the room, no sign of any damage anywhere on the carpet.

D3A36081-347E-4C21-BFB0-1B6BCF9509D9.thumb.jpeg.b3956d4cbcc9c1605a192f334b4a5d36.jpeg

Was on the December 5 sailing and can confirm that the carpet in the stateroom and the hallways seemed to be new. I believe the bedding was new as well. Curtains and upholstery on the sofa were definitely not new, and the sofa definitely needed some love...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I see at least 3 trivias this morning in which I may have a hope of victory and the elusive ship on a stick, which the teen says is silly clutter unworthy of desire! Humph 😤 I must say to that!! 

Better watch it or mebbe Dad and I leave you ashore next time!!1100099F-01CF-4A9A-8213-F679DC40155B.thumb.png.1d553e04ee3ef211b861166eb25725bb.png

Have they updated the Carnival trivia yet? Two weeks ago it was prefaced with the fact that it hadn't been updated since 2019 and we should account for the four Fantasy class ships still sailing and no Mardi Gras. Despite the outdated questions, I won the coveted ship on a stick! My knowledge is likely from too much time on CC!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Medieval castle motif. A569AFD9-160A-422A-9660-7AAF05F18417.thumb.jpeg.31d22d7e816ec8cbaaae0b718d3942f6.jpeg

By way of the 1990’s courtesy of one Joe Farcas, often imitated-but only by himself. Seriously no other cruise designer ever had the freedom and nerve to do stuff like this.556DCF77-81F9-4BD7-B651-A47038972945.thumb.jpeg.cff1652ada99cbe3498e7ea125d1b738.jpeg

Honestly you either love, hate or just tolerate these designs because you want a cruise so bad. 0C6EB26E-A11A-4340-AD90-B5D9A81B19D4.thumb.jpeg.393665534eefec1a81a064274155b00a.jpeg

My take is: you could only get away with this if you catered to working and middle class families, even 20-30 years ago. So that gives you the 3 big lines plus Disney that ever had a prayer of so much over the top themery. Little kids have gotta love this craziness. It’s also why Vegas has Excalibur and the Luxor, a brief era of fantasy-inspired getaways beyond almost any imagining. 

I get why the garishness annoys people, plus it’s all showing age in other ways, dinged up furniture and mismatched lightbulb colors being just a couple of examples. But I also miss this what-will-they-dream-up-next creativity. Also the one of a kind nature of it. Ya ain’t a-gonna ever see another boat that looks like this one, folks. (Boat-ship police cringe now on cue). Just go with it. You WILL miss it later.

4290E05B-678C-4892-8B2C-0C8D19FC9C26.thumb.jpeg.bf1b3c47eba2d5fcb29f2a3832bc40ec.jpeg

I tolerate the Farcus ships. They look okay when they are fresh from drydock, but the second they start to age, it feels like leftover 1990s Las Vegas.

5735F9B5-B982-4855-8128-58C4BBF73F6D.thumb.jpeg.bd9e18a61b9a8f47ff9137d92f6e1deb.jpegBre

Have you noticed the three different styles of "coffee" machines on Lido Deck yet?

The "Americano" machine, pictured here, brews the strongest coffee. I believe NCL Escape had this type of machine in the Studio Lounge on my 2020 sailing? The older style that use the fine grind/powdered coffee taste the same as the coffee in the dining room, and the one out by the pool across from Blue Iguana is yet another style of machine and has a completely different taste. 

I found the "Americano" machine to be a bit too bitter for me, and I drink black coffee. The older style machine, of which seem to be the most plentiful on Legend, produced the best tasting "free" black coffee, in my opinion. 

Which is your preference?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, brilliantseas said:

I tolerate the Farcus ships. They look okay when they are fresh from drydock, but the second they start to age, it feels like leftover 1990s Las Vegas.

5735F9B5-B982-4855-8128-58C4BBF73F6D.thumb.jpeg.bd9e18a61b9a8f47ff9137d92f6e1deb.jpegBre

Have you noticed the three different styles of "coffee" machines on Lido Deck yet?

The "Americano" machine, pictured here, brews the strongest coffee. I believe NCL Escape had this type of machine in the Studio Lounge on my 2020 sailing? The older style that use the fine grind/powdered coffee taste the same as the coffee in the dining room, and the one out by the pool across from Blue Iguana is yet another style of machine and has a completely different taste. 

I found the "Americano" machine to be a bit too bitter for me, and I drink black coffee. The older style machine, of which seem to be the most plentiful on Legend, produced the best tasting "free" black coffee, in my opinion. 

Which is your preference?

Yes I have noticed and I like this one the best because it’s strong and fresh. I think we had these on Mardi Gras. I’m not actually real picky about coffee as it’s more of a minor addiction than a pleasure and I basically HAVE to have it in order to function-though I never drink it or any caffeinated beverage after 9 am.

I used a different dispenser that was a different type and it was reasonably okay too.