Do the room stewards hide under the bed???

bjkTX

A post in one of the threads I just read reminded me - where do the stewards hide? On our two Princess cruises we saw our steward when we first got on the ship, whenever we needed something he was always there, otherwise we never saw him - yet no matter when we left the room (even for a short period of time) when we got back everything had been put back in ship shape order. I guess this is just my way of commenting on what a fabulous job they do for what is probably a shockingingly small amount of money.

They have cameras in the staff area and can see you leave. On the Adventure, DS called our steward "Mr. Deeds" ... sometimes he snuck up on us and it was hilarious! EVERY time we left our cabin, even if only for a short while, he tidied up.

A post in one of the threads I just read reminded me - where do the stewards hide? On our two Princess cruises we saw our steward when we first got on the ship, whenever we needed something he was always there, otherwise we never saw him - yet no matter when we left the room (even for a short period of time) when we got back everything had been put back in ship shape order. I guess this is just my way of commenting on what a fabulous job they do for what is probably a shockingingly small amount of money.

I'll check next time we go. Good to see somene speaking good about anything on this forum. "Whoops", I identified myself as a "Princess Cheerleader". But the staff and personnel of all the Cruise lines never get the respect they deserve. +++Sets Pom-Poms down and walks away+++

I read so much about great room stewards and I have to admit, it has been years since we had one we would call great, on any cruise line. Normally, we are hunting them down as they forgot the ice, or forgot this or forgot that (just normal stuff, nothing we asked for extra).

Maybe it is time for us to have one that visits us more than the normal twice a day and doesn't forget anything. LOL

We've been sailing Royal Caribbean lately and can not say enuf about our outstanding cabin crews. They seem to sense our needs and are always available when needed. And the bar staff and dining room staff are the same. Something has gone on recently with RCL, the staff's are wonderful!

They hide in the pull down beds. That's why most stewards you see aren't very large in stature. :)

Good one! :D

I really have had such good luck with stewards that I'm almost afraid I will get the steward from HE** on my next cruise. I did have one that wasn't "great" but all she did was forget the ice a few times-not much to complain about.

Our steward on Sapphire was decent, but we weren't blown away. We'd come back a few times around noon, and the bed was still unmade. Come to find out he was sick in the middle of the cruise for a couple days, so that probably explained the slower service. He was a nice friendly guy though, and was helpful with some advice in the ports.

I think the old joke about getting up to use the washroom in the middle of the night, and coming back to find your bed made was about the stewards on Holland America though. It's been 10 years, and they were our first cruise, so I'll have to go back and see how they rate now.

I think they really do have eyes in the back of their heads (just like your Momma had) and know exactly what you're doing and when. :)

We always try to let our steward know our general schedule when we first meet them so that they know we're going to sleep late, go to dinner late, etc.

They have cameras in the staff area and can see you leave. On the Adventure, DS called our steward "Mr. Deeds" ... sometimes he snuck up on us and it was hilarious! EVERY time we left our cabin, even if only for a short while, he tidied up.

You mean they have cams in the cabins? LOL

They have a light in their room for each cabin that shows when the door is opened (meaning when you leave).

Wow! I'd better stop opening the door just to look out...it may confuse the steward.:rolleyes:

There are cameras in the hallways and they can see you leave. Once on the AOS we left, forgot something after getting halfway down the hallway from aft, went back to get it, and our steward was already tidying up in the room! It was almost like you would glance one direction and he wasn't there, turn your head and turn it back, and poof, he was there! Just like Mr. Deeds!

I have often wondered about how the "psychic steward" thing worked.

Our first cruise was with Princess five years ago. We had no idea what to expect, or the level of service we were about to be treated to. I must admit I was amazed and a more than little embarrassed the first day when we left the room looking like a tornado hit it, then came back to find it tidy and clean, with our shoes lined up at the foot of the bed. I was a lot more careful about leaving my undergarments on the floor after that! :) The way he kept our cabin clean constantly-without our seeing him-it was nothing short of miraculous.

We recently went on a short Disney cruise and had a very different experience. Our cabin steward was nice enough but he seemed to be so busy all the time and stressed out. Sometimes it wasn't until 2:00 in the afternoon before our beds would even be made up. He showed up twice a day, once to make the beds, and once to turn them down. Towel animals are a cute touch but it only goes so far. Also, there was no stealth about it. There were CONSTANTLY cleaning staff and towel carts in the halls. It really felt more like we were at a Best Western than on a cruise ship.

:D

On one cruise, after the steward was in the cabin, he put little piece of paper betwen the door and the frame, so he could see if it was still there (and know we hadn't been back) when he walked by. It reminded me of something I saw in a spy movie.

If I went back to the room in the middle of the day, and maybe laid down for a while or something and messed the bed up, I'd put that piece of paper back in the door just to mess with the guy's head when he came back to turn the bed down LOL.

Archived