Any recent experiences with early MIA departures?

Sosai X

DW and I will have our two sons with us (ages 10 and 5) on the 1/29 sailing of Jewel of the Seas, and have a 10:20am flight home from MIA.   We've had success in the past with self-assist debarkation, but that was pre-COVID.   Has anyone else dealt with early debarkation in MIA lately?  If so, what was your experience?

Walked off Symphony on Saturday at 830am, hopped in an almost full $10 van, and was through security at 9am. No bags checked. I came off Jewel last month and self-assist was 715-730ish. Definitely doable, but be ready early.

Getting off Oasis yesterday in MIA was easily the fastest cabin-to-taxi self-debarkation I've ever had.  Had a 7:30 (group 2) time, they actually opened up the 7:15 and 7:30 times a few minutes early.  We were off the ship, through customs in a flash (one picture scan), and in a cab in less than 10 minutes.

32 minutes ago, ssb said:

With facial recognition and new Royal disembarkations process all are easy . 

You mean the photo taken at check-in, or are you talking about the option to upload a photo during online check-in?  Last cruise was June 2019 on Harmony and we did not take photos ahead of time.

24 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

We were off the ship, through customs in a flash (one picture scan), and in a cab in less than 10 minutes.

Ok, so it's customs that does a photo scan of you; facial rec, or passports, etc?

Just got off of Jewel of the Seas on Saturday. First group left the ship right at 7:30. I was in the group scheduled to depart the ship at 9:40 to catch the later Miami airport shuttle, however, they actually were ahead of schedule and called for us to disembark at around 8:40.  Getting out of the cruise terminal was a breeze; I did not need to collect luggage and there was a quick passport check by customs. By far the quickest trip out of the cruise terminal ever ... with no wait anywhere. At the airport, I did mobile check in and was through the TSA checkpoint by 10:00. If there is no delay in self departure at the ship and you are able to disembark at 7:30, you should make the early flight. Good luck! 

Edited by patrioticgirl

1 hour ago, Sosai X said:

You mean the photo taken at check-in, or are you talking about the option to upload a photo during online check-in?  Last cruise was June 2019 on Harmony and we did not take photos ahead of time.

Your passport photo. If you don't have a passport you will have to stand in line as before.

7 hours ago, patrioticgirl said:

I was in the group scheduled to depart the ship at 9:40 to catch the later Miami airport shuttle, however, they actually were ahead of schedule and called for us to disembark at around 8:40.  

Were you self-assist?  Just wondering why you weren't scheduled until 9:40am. 

6 hours ago, Sosai X said:

Were you self-assist?  Just wondering why you weren't scheduled until 9:40am. 

I was not in the early self assist group. There were 2 airport shuttles to MIA. The first was scheduled to leave around 7:45. Originally I was told I would be on the 7:45 shuttle when I called to make the reservation mid week.  However,  when luggage tags were distributed, I had been assigned a later shuttle time, probably because my flight was not scheduled to depart until 3:45 PM. The late shuttle was completely full;  I suspect the plan was originally to have one shuttle but when a large number of requests for shuttle transportation started coming in, they ended up having the bus do a second later run.