Euro Travellers Cheques

celmed

For those of you who've traveled HAL in Europe (or if you just happen to know!):

What is HAL's policy on cashing Euro traveler's checks (not US dollar, but Euro to Euro)? Do they do it? Is there a fee? I can't find any info specifically on the Euro versions.

Thanks for your help!

HAL's "Know before you go" booklet says that US dollars are the only currency accepted.

I would not take Euro traveler's checks. My last half dozen trips I have relied on ATM machines. My wife takes an ATM card for her bank account. We each take a credit card for back up and I take no fee US travelers checks for a back up back up. I have not used a check for years. For good information on foreign currency exchange read this: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/moneytip.htm

Holland America's currency exchange service was expensive on my 1999 trip. I assume it still is.

If you are not comfortable using an ATM you will pay through the nose.

HAL's currency exchange is expensive so we also try to use ATMs in Europe.

HAL only accepts payment in US dollars but will convert many currencies.

Before we knew better we exchanged Icelandic and Norwegian kroner, British pounds and Euros on board. I think they would cash a euro traveler's check for euros.

I just wonder about the exchange rate for buying the checks in advance. You would be locked into the rate at which you purchased. If the rate goes down while you're away you'll lose money. That's why we use the ATMs. The rate is applied when your card goes through. We always check with our bank and make sure the network is available for where we are going.

GN

Also, at least in some areas of Europe, the bank charges a fee to cash the traveller's check. A few years back, the vendors would not take them, looked like funny money to them. They are a big hassle. We just use the ATM machines.

There is a charge to use them ($3 or so), so take out as much as you will need at one time. Many machines also has a limit in how much they will let you take out, so if you are denied, keep reducing the amount.

Credit cards are widely accepted as well. We charge everything that we can and use the cash only for such purchases where CC are not accepted.

Yes, I know the ship only accepts US dollars -- I want the Euros for use in ports. I'm not comfortable relying on an ATM card to work. I've heard stories about people who thought theirs would work, and their banks assured them they would, then they got there and the cards did not work, or they spent valuable port time hassling with machines.

And I like to shop and eat in places that don't always accept C/Cs (smaller places).

So...I'll ask again: does anyone know for sure if the ship will exchange a Euro traveler's check for Euros and if there is a fee?

Thanks!

I agree with you, celmd, that having some traveler's checks as a back-up to the ATM or credit card is a good idea.

Don't know about HAL, but when I was aboard Royal Princess in Europe, they could give one Euros for Euro traveler checks. There was no fee to do so.

Caution: I was using American Express Euro Travelers Checks. At one hotel, the cashier saw "American Express" and assumed that they were US dollar traveler checks. When she gave me much less money than I expected, I questioned the transaction. That is when she took a closer look at the check and realized her error.

Archived