Splash Academy

Lauranicole1

We are going to sail on the Epic 12/26/21 with two 11 years old's and was just told the kids clubs are closed...not sure how closing the kids clubs helps with being safe....seems like another way for NCL to save some money with having less staff...

I see that you are inquiring about our Splash Academy. As of November 24th, Our Kids clubs and drop-off services are not available until further notice on all ships/sailings. Activities for youth and families will be provided onboard including movie nights, game shows, and other activities. There will not be a drop-off service and parents must attend the session with their children. Times and locations will be noted in the Freestyle Daily and on the NCL app when you board the ship.

Thought I would share the entire conversation for some context....

• Hello laura. Thank you for chatting with Norwegian Cruise Line. My name is Luis. I would be happy to assist you today.

•  
    I see that you are inquiring about our Splash Academy. As of November 24th, Our Kids clubs and drop-off services are not available until further notice on all ships/sailings. Activities for youth and families will be provided onboard including movie nights, game shows, and other activities. There will not be a drop-off service and parents must attend the session with their children. Times and locations will be noted in the Freestyle Daily and on the NCL app when you board the ship.
    Luis

•  
    My kids are 11 can they go to the Entourage lounge?
    2:53 PM
  •  
    Unfortunately, The Entourage lounge is only for children 13 to 17 years old.
    Luis

2:55 PM
  •  
    Please explain to me how closing the kids clubs is part of safety when they all have to be vaccinated??????
    2:57 PM
  •  
    Unfortunately, Our Kid's clubs are closed until as they are working on new protocols for these services. There are no other options or updates at this time. If something is to change and your sailing is affected you will be notified via email. This is the most up to date information that I have been provided.
    Luis

2:59 PM
  •  
    This clearly seems like a way for NCL to save money with less staff... and lessen the experience for all that have decided to go back to cruising and support NCL. This is very disappointing. Please share this with your CEO.
    3:00 PM
  •  
    I will pass this information to our Team of Supervisors, however, I have advised you of the information I have available. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
    Luis

•  
    Thank you

•  
    You are welcome. If there is nothing else that I can assist you with at this time, but you think of something else later, you are more than welcome to reach back out to us. Thank you for using Norwegian Cruise Line Chat. Have a great day! Please don't forget to close our chat by clicking on the "X" on the top right of the chat window.
    Luis

18 minutes ago, Lauranicole1 said:

We are going to sail on the Epic 12/26/21 with two 11 years old's and was just told the kids clubs are closed...not sure how closing the kids clubs helps with being safe....seems like another way for NCL to save some money with having less staff...

Really? You are not sure?

I give you a little help: It is called avoiding social contacts/close contacts.

In kids club many people are in close proximity for quite some time. This helps the virus to spread around.

thats the main reason why there is in general a reduced capacity on all ships.

Although on the other hand they could open it with mandatory reservations and reduced capacity

• Like 1

We’re you told splash academy was open before you paid?  I am not surprised since under 12’s could not  get vaxxed before final payment was due on this cruise. They have been closed for 21 months. They have to train and quarantine that staff and until recently, the were not needed on board. 

Oh well I call before booking and was ensured there would be one. I even called today because I had received a letter yet for our Bliss 26th cruise and we are 5 days out. The cruise that left on the 19th received their letters 10 days out. As of early this afternoon I was told there would be a Spalsh Academy. 

I did chat and call when I heard the early rumblings at that time I was told what the OP was told. I also dealt with a very rude chat that I wish I kept. 

@CruiseMHKids are good about social distancing when told they need too, much better than adults. Kids have been in Schools and camps in most parts of US for over a year. All them are 100% vaccinated on the ship, and kids under 12 have all been recently vaccinated. I don't see how Splash Academy is unsafe compared to going to school or camp. 

To me this is purely a cost saving issue. The other major cruise lines have their version of Splash Academy open and they have been taking unvaccinated children for quite sometime. I chose NCL because of the vaccinated policy plus I called about this topic prior to booking. 

@jesstree That is terrible. I know there was no way to prepare all of the crew needed to operate Splash Academy before these sailings BUT I didn't know all of you were told it would be operational. That really limits what you can do with your children. We had discussed with a friend with a 12 YO to come with us and when we found out they wouldn't allow her in the teen club, we told them we would do another one later because she would have been bored. 

We have 4 sleeps to go. We are on the Bliss with you.  See you Sunday. :)

@KAYKAY121Yeah communication within the company is bad right now. I'm not going to get on the phone and yell and scream, it is what is and we will still have a blast. I'm going to ask her 16 year old cousin to watch her a night or two. I really want to go see Prohibition and have a date night. Sorry in advance if you experience a hyperactive little girl running around the dining rooms, I'm not going to yell at her. I hope everyone actually complains to NCL to open up the Splash Academy, it's good for everyone. See you at the sail away or meet and greet?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jesstree said:

@CruiseMHKids are good about social distancing when told they need too, much better than adults. Kids have been in Schools and camps in most parts of US for over a year. All them are 100% vaccinated on the ship, and kids under 12 have all been recently vaccinated. I don't see how Splash Academy is unsafe compared to going to school or camp. 

the comparison between school and cruising is a bit weird. Cause school has a reason and is mandatory,cruising is not. 😉

I have no doubt that splash academy is safer than school.(or at least not unsafer)

I just said that the risk of virus spreading with open Splash Academy is higher than with closed splash academy. If the difference in risk is significant...i don`t know.

And yes, they are operating with reduced crew and so have to decide in which department they can save staff without having too much influence on the satisfaction of the guests.

And i guess that a closed splash academy affects much fewer guests than e.g. closed bars or significantly reduced staff in bars,cabin service or restaurants.

6 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

I just said that the risk of virus spreading with open Splash Academy is higher than with closed splash academy.

This is true.  Also cruising has a higher risk than staying home.  The only safe thing to do is lock yourself in a room for the next two years and not come out.

I say open the Splash Academy and like the original poster says it is probably an expense saver keeping it closed.  Surely a reason for cruisers with kids to reconsider going. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

the comparison between school and cruising is a bit weird. Cause school has a reason and is mandatory,cruising is not. 😉

I have no doubt that splash academy is safer than school.(or at least not unsafer)

I just said that the risk of virus spreading with open Splash Academy is higher than with closed splash academy. If the difference in risk is significant...i don`t know.

And yes, they are operating with reduced crew and so have to decide in which department they can save staff without having too much influence on the satisfaction of the guests.

And i guess that a closed splash academy affects much fewer guests than e.g. closed bars or significantly reduced staff in bars,cabin service or restaurants.

Well kids should be welcome to all parts of the ship then. 🙂  At least don't be surprised if my child is dancing or doing Karaoke (which she loves to do). We have a family friendly Karaoke bar here, although with COVID we have not been since they closed 😞 .

• 3 weeks later...