Air Canada - Upgrade Process and Using a Buddy Pass

K_e_short

I was wondering if anyone has any tips, tricks, or information about the upgrade process with Air Canada?

I have flex fare seats booked round trip. I used a buddy pass (which meant I only paid taxes on the 2nd ticket).

I was not allowed to buy business class as the buddy pass only allows for economy class tickets.

So my question is has anyone bid and gotten an upgrade? How much did you bid? 

RIght now my flights are super cheap (I wonder why)

Could I call and ask to move to business class for the price difference even though I used a buddy pass?

Thank you 🙂

12 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I was wondering if anyone has any tips, tricks, or information about the upgrade process with Air Canada?

Have done this a few times, usually last minute. I think that AC's guide is a very good start: 

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/upgrades.html#/

And I agree with the earlier poster -- doesn't hurt to call and ask. 

In my experience (and YMMV), the best pricing is last minute (not through the earlier bidding offer) when AC sets an upgrade price (and takes away the bidding option) to make last minute sales $$$ if its business class cabin isn't full.   AC considers "last minute" as < 24 hours before the flight.  

Note that upgrades like this won't earn you any extra Aeroplan points on the flight (yeah, bummer). But you have a nice experience onboard. 🙂

20 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I have flex fare seats booked round trip. I used a buddy pass (which meant I only paid taxes on the 2nd ticket).

I was not allowed to buy business class as the buddy pass only allows for economy class tickets.

So my question is has anyone bid and gotten an upgrade? How much did you bid? 

RIght now my flights are super cheap (I wonder why)

Could I call and ask to move to business class for the price difference even though I used a buddy pass?

Thank you 🙂

If your fare is eligible for an upgrade , you'll have to check your booking on the Air Canada Website.

With AC you actually bid for the upgrade . I usually get my bid to go from Economy to Business class for somewhere between 50 and 75% of the difference between the two class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kamloops50 said:

If your fare is eligible for an upgrade , you'll have to check your booking on the Air Canada Website.

With AC you actually bid for the upgrade . I usually get my bid to go from Economy to Business class for somewhere between 50 and 75% of the difference between the two class.

I put a bid on an unpgrade for $195 per person per way.

The issue is that when I go and do a mock booking the price difference between my fare and business class is less then $195, so actually it's more then 100% of the difference.

7 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

The issue is that when I go and do a mock booking the price difference between my fare and business class is less then $195, so actually it's more then 100% of the difference.

I look at what I paid versus what AC is charging . I've picked up business upgrades for as low as $50 .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kamloops50 said:

With AC you actually bid for the upgrade

Only > 24 hours before the flight. 

Once check-in begins, there's no more bidding for upgrades.  AC sells the remaining seats off for a fixed price, which tends to be cheaper than what they are trying to obtain during the bidding process. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

If there are a lot of business class seats still unfilled, it's quite possible that your bids could be accepted.   If you're sure that you can get each of the seats cheaper than $195 by speaking to an agent, you might want to cancel your bid a.s.a.p. 

AC says:  

You can cancel your offer at any time up to 48 hours prior to the flight's scheduled departure time, provided your offer has not yet been accepted by Air Canada. To do so, simply click on the “Cancel” link in the “Upgrade requested” email you received when you submitted your offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lots-of-km2 said:

If there are a lot of business class seats still unfilled, it's quite possible that your bids could be accepted.   If you're sure that you can get each of the seats cheaper than $195 by speaking to an agent, you might want to cancel your bid a.s.a.p. 

AC says:  

You can cancel your offer at any time up to 48 hours prior to the flight's scheduled departure time, provided your offer has not yet been accepted by Air Canada. To do so, simply click on the “Cancel” link in the “Upgrade requested” email you received when you submitted your offer.

Out of 14 seats only 2 are taken on the way there. On the way back there are 11/14 taken.

Thank you for that advice. I will sit on hold tomorrow. I mean I don't mind paying $195 but if I can get it for cheaper.

I doubt brand new people are going to wake up and say "hey lets fly to Orlando on Boxing Day when we needed to get a test on Christmas Day 🙂

Well to update I decided to stop worrying about prices. I left the $195 per seat bid and this morning got an email that it was accepted.

That was exactly 48 hours before my flight.

I will say that I am super excited to fly business class. I have never flown business class before. My husband had, he used to fly with his Dad all the time. My mom and on flew home from Orlando one year in business when Delta made a mistake and were able to upgrade 2/4 of us.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Well to update I decided to stop worrying about prices. I left the $195 per seat bid and this morning got an email that it was accepted.

That was exactly 48 hours before my flight.

I will say that I am super excited to fly business class. I have never flown business class before. My husband had, he used to fly with his Dad all the time. My mom and on flew home from Orlando one year in business when Delta made a mistake and were able to upgrade 2/4 of us.

Air Canada is nice for business class and the food is pretty decent.  I’ve flown American Airlines a few times in business.  That’s not the best.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, K_e_short said:

That's great! It's a really nice experience -- adds to the overall trip.  And don't forget to check out the Maple Leaf Lounge, which you have guest access to as part of your ticket.  

Have a safe and fun time on the cruise!

• Like 2