Help please, pre-test Covid test clarification

FBegg

Hi all, your help is appreciated.  

I'm a bit confused with the Covid pre-test issue. I called NCL a couple of times and got conflicting info.

I purchased the NCL insurance and will be driving to the port, I only live an hour away.

If I were to test Covid positive at the port,  I would just drive home and quarantine, so I wouldn't need help from NCL with quarantine.

Is it required that I do Covid pretest on my own thru a 3rd party to be eligable for a FCC or a cash refund?  

I do see that NCL "recommends," but doesn't appear to "require?"  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the pre-test seems like it applies to people who are flying in 

for their cruises as opposed to someone like me who is just driving in for their cruise?

I am fine with a FCC or a refund, doesn't matter to me. 

Thank you.

31 minutes ago, FBegg said:

Is it required that I do Covid pretest on my own thru a 3rd party to be eligable for a FCC or a cash refund?  

Not as I understand it.  The recommended pre-test is just to make you eligible for NCL's financial assistance in quarantining if you test positive at the pier and your travel insurance doesn't cover you.  (So if you can drive home, you would not need that assistance.)  It has nothing to do with eligibility for an FCC or refund if you test positive at the pier and are denied boarding.   Here's the language from NCL's web site:

"Please note for cruises with embarkation dates through January 31, 2022: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by their travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of their travel date. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within 96-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance.

• Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible."

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC

See also: https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

It's still not a bad idea to get a test before the cruise, for your own peace of mind.

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, FBegg said:

Hi all, your help is appreciated.  

I'm a bit confused with the Covid pre-test issue. I called NCL a couple of times and got conflicting info.

I purchased the NCL insurance and will be driving to the port, I only live an hour away.

If I were to test Covid positive at the port,  I would just drive home and quarantine, so I wouldn't need help from NCL with quarantine.

I do see that NCL "recommends," but doesn't appear to "require?"  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the pre-test seems like it applies to people who are flying in 

for their cruises as opposed to someone like me who is just driving in for their cruise?

I am fine with a FCC or a refund, doesn't matter to me. 

Thank you.

Your interpretation is correct. 

However, NCL strongly recommends that all passengers pre test to help minimize anyone arriving at the terminal with COVID and infect cruising passengers. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

However, NCL strongly recommends that all passengers pre test to help minimize anyone arriving at the terminal with COVID and infect cruising passengers. 

You're correct.  Moreover, there's a certain level of hassle -- even if you're not flying -- in getting to the port.  OP is going to drive an hour and will probably spend a couple hours more packing and making other arrangements for the trip. 

Even if you take a self-test that wouldn't otherwise qualify for quarantine assistance, it's worthwhile.  It's going to be a long drive home after a positive test at the pier.

Yes, I will try to get an appointment for a test (appointments are filling up fast), plus I have Binax home tests for backup.

Always had planned to use the Binax, nice to keep on hand, easy.  Just had been wondering if an official 3rd party test was "required" in my particular case.

Thanks for your help, Cruise Critic is a tremendous resource. I just wanted to make sure I was interpreting the rules correctly.  It had been bugging me that I'd gotten conflicting and vague info from the cruise line.