Test for US flights/cruise

Waynetor

Please help – I’m confused. 

I have a cruise starting from Florida Jan 9 and am flying there early on Jan 8.  My understanding has been I need a negative test done on Jan 7 to meet the air entry to US and same day for meeting the 2 day requirement for boarding the ship (Princess).

I went to my local Shoppers Drug Mart a couple weeks ago and asked about a test for a flight to the US.  I was told it would be $40 but they were not taking appointments that early.

Looking at Shoppers web site now I see they do viral test for international flights with results typically within 48 hours for $149.  I also see they Asymptomatic Rapid Antigen Screening for COVID-19 including for travel for $40.

Looking at the Dec 19 CDC update I “need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States.”

If Shoppers and Life Lab can’t guarantee same day test results, how does one get a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of their embarkation and the same for prior day flight?

• Like 1

Sun is correct. Both types of tests are viral tests, since the coronavirus-covid-19 is a virus. The more expensive, longer report time test is a PCR, and isn't necessary for travel to the US. The faster, less expensive test is the rapid antigen test, and is all you need, both for entry to the US and for embarkation.

40 minutes ago, CKCruising said:

Note that the Rapid test is $40 at SDM, $30 at Rexall, and $20 at Walmart. 

At SDM/Rexall, you can book one appt. for multiple people (We were 3).  At Walmart, we had to book 3 appointments in a row, but all went at the earliest time.

thanks for this info. I will book at Walmart next time. It’s even closer to me!

I have one test booked  (shoppers) two days before Celebrity's  'cruise with confidence' cancel for any reason/48 hrs prior.' policy....to make sure we are NEGATIVE, if positive we would still have time to cancel for a full FCC.

second test booked morning of flight (local rexall much closer to home) to a) allow us to fly that afternoon and b) allow us to board (we are flying out 2 days pre-cruise)....hoping all goes well.....

Edited by Froufie
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CKCruising said:

Note that the Rapid test is $40 at SDM, $30 at Rexall, and $20 at Walmart. 

At SDM/Rexall, you can book one appt. for multiple people (We were 3).  At Walmart, we had to book 3 appointments in a row, but all went at the earliest time.

You forgot Costco at $16.99 but not all Costco's and like Walmart, hard to book.

There are some independent pharmacies that might do it, like Pharmasave but you will have to walk in and ask (they do not have a booking system).

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 1:42 PM, waiting2retire said:

thanks for this info. I will book at Walmart next time. It’s even closer to me!

You have to check if your local Walmart offers it.  Neither Costco nor Walmart offer it in London, Ontario.  Seems like mainly just the ones in Toronto and Ottawa.

Yesterday (Dec 27) I tried to book at local Walmart and Rexall and there were no openings until around the 4th day of my cruise.  I was able to pick anytime I wanted at SDM for the needed Jan 7.  Looks like lots of people know about the cheaper options. 

I would love to find a place to test in my town in N.B besides horizon health.

That's where my local drugstore(Jean Coute) told me to book an appointment for travel.

The funniest thing is our town's logo is" We are the Middle of Everywhere" because we have three border crossing to the states here. But no testing for travel other than the hospital they say is backed up for 4 days isn't going to work.

We are driving into Maine, USA to fly American Airlines to Miami. It would of be nice to have the results in our own Country before crossing that bridge. lol

Not seeing a thing on needing to prove anything to a airline but need a acceptable Antigen test is all that is required for Carnival no more than two days prior.  It's kind of got me going bananas mostly because we have two short cruises making up for a 9 day cancelled ended up on two different ships and lines to make one with different protocol. Ncl is the second cruise and they provide Canadians the pcr test required to get home.

So Glad When We are normal again. 

40 minutes ago, katiecat said:

I would love to find a place to test in my town in N.B besides horizon health.

That's where my local drugstore(Jean Coute) told me to book an appointment for travel.

The funniest thing is our town's logo is" We are the Middle of Everywhere" because we have three border crossing to the states here. But no testing for travel other than the hospital they say is backed up for 4 days isn't going to work.

We are driving into Maine, USA to fly American Airlines to Miami. It would of be nice to have the results in our own Country before crossing that bridge. lol

Not seeing a thing on needing to prove anything to a airline but need a acceptable Antigen test is all that is required for Carnival no more than two days prior.  It's kind of got me going bananas mostly because we have two short cruises making up for a 9 day cancelled ended up on two different ships and lines to make one with different protocol. Ncl is the second cruise and they provide Canadians the pcr test required to get home.

So Glad When We are normal again. 

You may want to try to purchase the Switch antigen test - available thru Air canada at a discount or possibly through the Switch Health website?  This is a proctored test you do at home and is acceptable for travel. You might also be able to get the test in Maine or en route at a US pharmacy?

• Like 1