Luggage Direct - flight to western Canada from Fort Lauderdale

CalgaryJill

Since Port Everglades/FLL has become a topic just a reminder.  Last week we disembarked at Port Everglades and needed to make our way to FLL for a 1pm flight.  I believe Princess was charging $18 pp for a bus transfer which generally means you are dropped at a common spot which can be some distance from your airline/terminal.  We simply took a taxi and the metered fare was about $12 (for the entire taxi) plus tip.  Since we used a taxi we were likely at the airport while transfer folks were still waiting for their bus to be loaded plus our taxi could drop us right at our airline's curbside service.

I did not notice anyone using Luggage Direct on our cruise although there may have been some folks.  We have always preferred to pick up our own luggage (at the port) to better make sure that pieces are not lost or there has been any tampering (we secure our luggage with simple cable ties).  

Hank

I am currently on Rotterdam returning to Ft Lauderdale 1/2/22

Looking at the signup form for Luggage Direct

International and Domestic Flights accepted. If flying Delta Air Lines, only Domestic flights accepted

You must disembark between 7:45am and 8:00 am

Your flight departs on Sunday, Jan 2nd between 11:30 am and 11:59pm. If flying Southwest Airlines only flights between 11:30 and 6:00 pm.

Your flight must depart from Fort Lauderdale / Hollywood International Airport FLL, Service is currently not available for flights departing from MIami

Participation Airlines:

Alaska

American

Delta (domestic only)

Jet Blue

Southwest (flights 11:30 to 6:00pm)

United

luggage.thumb.png.cd19c9567fb0be9b5afd6408bc2d2c9b.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Since Port Everglades/FLL has become a topic just a reminder.  Last week we disembarked at Port Everglades and needed to make our way to FLL for a 1pm flight.  I believe Princess was charging $18 pp for a bus transfer which generally means you are dropped at a common spot which can be some distance from your airline/terminal.  We simply took a taxi and the metered fare was about $12 (for the entire taxi) plus tip.  Since we used a taxi we were likely at the airport while transfer folks were still waiting for their bus to be loaded plus our taxi could drop us right at our airline's curbside service.

I did not notice anyone using Luggage Direct on our cruise although there may have been some folks.  We have always preferred to pick up our own luggage (at the port) to better make sure that pieces are not lost or there has been any tampering (we secure our luggage with simple cable ties).  

Hank

Thanks for the tip about the taxi! We will definitely go that route!

2 hours ago, Prairiegurl said:

Thanks for the tip about the taxi! We will definitely go that route!

The only warning is that there will likely be a taxi queue and you may need to wait a few minutes.  During our most recent disembarkation (last Monday) we waited less than 10 minutes but it does vary.

Hank

• Like 1

We used the luggage direct option upon our return form 7-day on Nieuw Statendam on Dec. 19th. It went very smoothly. We set the bags outside our door the night before, as usual, and didn't see them until we arrived at our home airport JAX. It was nice not to have to haul them around.  I'll do that every time now, whenever it's available. 

Could someone explain the why behind the "You must disembark between 7:45am and 8:00am" requirement?  I seem to recall pax using LD could disembark early but doesn't "must" just guarantee you will be waiting around FLL for at least 3 hours (e.g. your flight departs at 11:30). And a 15 minute window for XXX passengers to get ashore seems odd.

A great service (and reasonable priced at $25 per person (not bag) - hope to use when next I sail on HAL. 

27 minutes ago, LBCABob said:

Could someone explain the why behind the "You must disembark between 7:45am and 8:00am" requirement?  I seem to recall pax using LD could disembark early

Not so sure about the "enforcement" of the "Must Depart 7:45am to 8am"

We used Luggage Direct for our mid-December return. We had a 3:30 flight out of FLL so we used Luggage Direct to get rid of most of our bags. 

Left the cabin at about 8:30,  Lallygagged about in the Ocean Bar chit-chatting and doing email till they had called everybody in all groups about 9:30 or so. Got up - walked out (no-line), walked straight to Customs (no-line), then to the Taxi line (no-line) and got a Taxi to our favorite restaurant (Coconuts). Had to wait till they opened at 11am but we sat on their veranda and watched the boats (and more e-mail). Had a delicious, leisurely, lunch then Uber'd to FLL. 

Bags appeared magically in DFW without issue. 

6 hours ago, LBCABob said:

Could someone explain the why behind the "You must disembark between 7:45am and 8:00am" requirement?  I seem to recall pax using LD could disembark early but doesn't "must" just guarantee you will be waiting around FLL for at least 3 hours (e.g. your flight departs at 11:30). And a 15 minute window for XXX passengers to get ashore seems odd.

A great service (and reasonable priced at $25 per person (not bag) - hope to use when next I sail on HAL. 

The 'why' is because the passengers who own the luggage are supposed to be available to the Customs officers if their luggage has to be opened and inspected; they are supposed to be present when it is. If they all disembark early, in one narrow time frame, it makes it easier. 
The luggage is not supposed to be sent on to the airport until this is done. 

That's the rationale I was given. It may or may not actually work that way in real life.