Just back from Anthem 12N (Dec 12-24) - long

TOCruisers

Appreciated receiving valuable info before I left, so I share what I experienced.

When my son’s family booked this cruise more than a year’s ago, I thought he was too optimistic.  We were back and forth of going not going and although we booked ours when he paid the final (knowing we could cancel last minutes for a full refund), he and I were still changing our minds almost every few days as COVID situation and rules were changing.  He was going to drive to minimize the risks to two young unvaccinated kids (later managed to get the first jab before cruise) and we were flying a day early from YTZ (Billy Bishop Airport) because the original cruise departure time was 3 pm, later changed to 5 pm.  Both of us and DIL were boostered but my son was not eligible for booster before he left. 

Booked a hotel near EWR with a cancellation option prior to 3 days, as hotels were filling up or sold out.

Bought air tickets 3 days before departure, my first, ending up paying almost double of fares in Sept.

This was one cruise I did not feel fun or exciting to prepare.  Worrying too much, what if.  Packed the day before departure, another first.

Booked antigen tests at a Rexall @$30 in the morning so if cancelled for any reason, we could find another option in the afternoon.

Did not know that the EWR hotel was Mask Optional.  Went to a nearby shopping mall to get a few things.  It was packed, I meant PACKED, did I say PACKED with less than 50% masked.  Went out right away and prayed that we were there less than 15 mins.

Our 12:30 pm check in was quick and easy.

iMessage worked to my son (12:00 check in time) without Internet 😊, but not to the DIL (both iPhones).  Unfortunately my free wifi dropped often.  

His family was stuck at the PCR test facility at Check In area because the grand daughter’s first result was “in conclusive.”  She ended up doing  2 more times as the 2nd was also “in conclusive.”    It took more than 2.5 hours. They were old that morning so far 6 kids had to repeat because of  “in conclusive.”

There was a QR code in the Cruise Compass mid cruise.  Using the code, you could book your COVID tests.  A confirmation of booking was sent to your email.  More info such as test location (Deck 2) was delivered to our cabin a few days later.

Chic - Unvaccinated main dining at 5:30

Lucky to have a corner table, but on the second night another group with kids were seated right behind us although more spaces were available somewhere else.  At least 3 couples unvaxxed adults in the unvaccinated dining area.

The wait staff started to wear KN95 underneath of their regular black masks mid cruise.   We were told later by Solarium Bistro staff that “one of us” was positive.

D lounge and drink benefits

We had 10 drinks daily between us.  Including my son, DIL and sometimes g kids, we only maxed out a couple of days, by dinner wine, frozen drinks, kid's cocktails, or bottle/can water.  We are very happy with this arrangement.  Don't know what to do if kids are not with us.  D lounge at 5 pm was always packed. 

Elevators

No observation of max 6 people (not same group) or mask wearing by many passengers.  Even when someone pointed this out, they thought the rule was STUPID.  I had to get off when 6 more people came in on top of existing 6.  

4th deck Theatre - Unvaccinated Section

Every other row, seats were covered by RESERVED covers.  But many vaccinated passengers ignored them and sat on them.  Came in after ushers left and took off masks.  Made a mistake of sitting on 3rd deck, vaccinated section.  We were with masks on without kids once on the 3rd deck and felt SO UNSAFE as deck 3 was “mask free” and no social distancing was observed until Dec 20 when the protocols changed to masks indoor at all times except actively eating or drinking.  Even after this, not all were masked on deck 3 theatre.  No active monitoring by RCL anywhere.

Other venues

After the first several days, reservations were easily obtained for free iFly, North Star, Rock Climbing, bump car spots.  Sport deck staff said they had a lot of free time as only few people a day last several days. 

Kid Club

Again it was not crowded after the first few days when we went.  Most often, 3-5 age group had only two including our grand kid when parents wanted to exercise.

Disembarking PCR tests on ship – Day 11 morning

Our appointments were around the same time.  My result came first by email in about 1 ¼ hours and two others in less than 2 hours.  But you guess it, nothing for my grand daughter.  We were all stressed out, not again !!  After lunch,  over 4 hours of waiting , a very patient parent finally called. It seems somehow hers was misplaced.  This COVID tests are so stressful till the end.  No paper results were delivered to our cabin.  Went to D lounge and printed test results and the ArriveCan receipt.

Final

Custom/Immigration at YTZ.  Green stickers !!  Nobody checked PCR test results except the Porter agent at EWR check in.  Nobody looked at the ArriveCan receipt.  Guessed that info showed up via passports.  At the land border, DIL got a red sticker !!

Happy that we went and everyone came back in one piece before the sky was falling, but the next cruise for me will be a long away.  We could only go to the "gated" shopping area for some ports.  We could not go to a nearby beach with kids without taking a RCL excursion.  My son says he was so spoiled it would be difficult for him to cruise with a full capacity again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

When you received your PCR results, was it on Royal Caribbean letterhead or on a partner lab letterhead?  I am curious since our Government says the test has  to be done by an accredited lab and I am wondering how the cruise lines handle this.  Thanks.

7 minutes ago, netpj said:

When you received your PCR results, was it on Royal Caribbean letterhead or on a partner lab letterhead?  I am curious since our Government says the test has  to be done by an accredited lab and I am wondering how the cruise lines handle this.  Thanks.

As an FYI, as of January 5th, Royal will no longer be offering the free PCR test for those who need it to return home from US ports. You will have to now make your own arrangements after you disembark. As far as I can tell they will still provide from international ports but have to assume they will stop doing this at some point as well.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. WE booked the Anthem for March break about a month ago when things were looking better. 

Not so sure now between the spectre of Omicron and Royal no longer providing the PCR test that we are going to proceed. We are going to watch and see over the next month before final payment is due and decide. Hate to disappoint the kids.... this is a make up for a cancelled March break 2020 cruise. Hard to believe two year later we are likely going to cancel for the same reason. 

23 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Is Anthem Royal Caribbean?  They accept unvaccinated passengers?

Yes, sorry should have mentioned that.

Apparently, I have read a report from an adult who was not vaccinated in RCL forum.  But seeing at least 3 couples were rather surprising.  Of course unvaccinated kids under 11 are still accepted.

Edited by TOCruisers
missed the second question
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, netpj said:

Sorry I don't know how to post a photo.

It is on letterhead of eurofins  Clinical Enterprise

with my birth date, gender, passport No., address and phone No. in Toronto with Physician name,  (this could not be the tester as there were four testers)

Test type, Specimen Kid ID, sample type and the result with collection date & time and looked very official with disclaimer 😀

Address at the bottom is Framingham, MA 0172 with a phone No.1-833- xxx I assume the US No.  Also it states:  Ernst Schaefer, MD, Laboratory Director/Chief Medical Officer with printed time.  Address is the second thing I checked, after "negative" as I read that it had to be "done in U.S.A."

Edited by TOCruisers

14 hours ago, JillK said:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. WE booked the Anthem for March break about a month ago when things were looking better. 

Not so sure now between the spectre of Omicron and Royal no longer providing the PCR test that we are going to proceed. We are going to watch and see over the next month before final payment is due and decide. Hate to disappoint the kids.... this is a make up for a cancelled March break 2020 cruise. Hard to believe two year later we are likely going to cancel for the same reason. 

You are welcome.  Although we had the fiasco for both tests, we were lucky that they still did them on the ship.  I do not know your kids' ages but you may be able to do two jabs before cruise, then it will eliminate at least the first PCR tests (antigen tests are faster and cheaper)?  We were on Anthem in Feb-March, 2020.  They were younger and could not enjoy many of activities such as ifly, bumper car, North Star as much as this time.  Ironically, the day care they go to had positive kid(s) while they were away.  It turned out that the cruise was safer.

9 hours ago, TOCruisers said:

You are welcome.  Although we had the fiasco for both tests, we were lucky that they still did them on the ship.  I do not know your kids' ages but you may be able to do two jabs before cruise, then it will eliminate at least the first PCR tests (antigen tests are faster and cheaper)?  We were on Anthem in Feb-March, 2020.  They were younger and could not enjoy many of activities such as ifly, bumper car, North Star as much as this time.  Ironically, the day care they go to had positive kid(s) while they were away.  It turned out that the cruise was safer.

Oh wow - sounds like you just made in in 2020. We were supposed to sail on Sunday, March 15th...but then the world fell apart.

Our teens have been fully vaxxed since the summer... waiting now to see when/if they will be eligible for the booster. Our younger kids have had their first doses earlier this month and are scheduled for their second at the end of January so we are ok with the rapid antigen tests for boarding. 

Had a long chat with hubby about this cruise yesterday and we are still going to stick with the wait and see what develops over the next month. We agree it is not worth it to pay half the cruise fare on testing - especially when so many have reported that no one appears to actually look at those results when coming home. Hubby is hopeful the testing requirement will be dropped but I can't see that happening. 

I'm perplexed as to why Canada is still requiring the PCR for entry - seems to me it's unsuccessful at stopping COVID from coming into the country. Omicron came from someone coming in who in theory had a negative PCR test result. It would be far less onerous in terms of expense, availability and time required for turnaround if we only needed a rapid antigen test which would likely be just as "effective" as the current requirements. 

I really hate to disappoint the kids again. It's our last chance at a March Break cruise for our family as our eldest is off to university next fall and her break will no longer align with the rest of the kids. 

Hard to believe it was little more than a month ago that we deposited and I thought I was so clever to "surprise" the kids with this trip as a Christmas gift (gave them a puzzle to put together on Christmas morning to figure it out). Things sure can change quick! 

IMG_2169.jpg

TOCruisers, thanks for your review.  We also had one of the EWR hotels booked next to that mall.  Scary that masks aren't required.  Good to know for our rebook.  And annoying with the elevators on Anthem...people are so inconsiderate.  Things sound a bit stressful but glad things worked out. We are also from Toronto. Originally we had flights booked but cancelled and decided to drive (for Anthem cruise that didn't end up happening).  Did you feel safe at Newark side in the airport?  We were a bit worried of crowds at customs.

JillK, we are similar situation.  We also were on the Anthem Mar 15, 2020 cruise that didn't happen and are booked for this upcoming March break.  We were supposed to be on the Anthem xmas cruise but had to cancel a few days before.  Not sure about this March but also waiting it out.  As a backup we have Dec 2022 booked, but note that this cruise is literally 2x the amount of March (so paying for PCR test in March it's still much cheaper).  And same with our kids are getting older and not many March breaks together.  Hopefully things will calm down in the next month or so.  PS - What an amazing way to tell your kids!

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, LuCruise said:

TOCruisers, thanks for your review.  We also had one of the EWR hotels booked next to that mall.  Scary that masks aren't required.  Good to know for our rebook.  And annoying with the elevators on Anthem...people are so inconsiderate.  Things sound a bit stressful but glad things worked out. We are also from Toronto. Originally we had flights booked but cancelled and decided to drive (for Anthem cruise that didn't end up happening).  Did you feel safe at Newark side in the airport?  We were a bit worried of crowds at customs.

JillK, we are similar situation.  We also were on the Anthem Mar 15, 2020 cruise that didn't happen and are booked for this upcoming March break.  We were supposed to be on the Anthem xmas cruise but had to cancel a few days before.  Not sure about this March but also waiting it out.  As a backup we have Dec 2022 booked, but note that this cruise is literally 2x the amount of March (so paying for PCR test in March it's still much cheaper).  And same with our kids are getting older and not many March breaks together.  Hopefully things will calm down in the next month or so.  PS - What an amazing way to tell your kids!

Hi LuCruise,  You are welcome.

At the EWR airport, everyone was wearing mask so we did not feel any different from home.  And definitely not crowded.  So the shock was stronger at the hotel’s sign and the mall.  To be fair, we had breakfast at the hotel, and tables were placed with enough social distancing to feel comfortable.  We now use YTZ to go to EWR because it is much easier for immigration which is done at the EWR.  We also do not have to get up at 4 am.   After we moved to downtown, we used YTZ three times to fly to EWR.  Very easy each time. This time, however, US ESTA (e-US Visa) system went down, apparently country wide, just before I used my Nexus card.  I was luckily cleared manually through Americans/Canadians immigration booth.  Not sure what happened to people who piled up in the “other” nationality immigration booths without Nexus cards, American or Canadian passports.  They were definitely crowded.

My husband did not want to drive to CL. Otherwise, under the current circumstances, the driving to Cape Liberty is a very reasonable and safe alternative.  My son stopped for gas and drive thru meals only.

13 hours ago, JillK said:

Oh wow - sounds like you just made in in 2020. We were supposed to sail on Sunday, March 15th...but then the world fell apart.

Our teens have been fully vaxxed since the summer... waiting now to see when/if they will be eligible for the booster. Our younger kids have had their first doses earlier this month and are scheduled for their second at the end of January so we are ok with the rapid antigen tests for boarding. 

Had a long chat with hubby about this cruise yesterday and we are still going to stick with the wait and see what develops over the next month. We agree it is not worth it to pay half the cruise fare on testing - especially when so many have reported that no one appears to actually look at those results when coming home. Hubby is hopeful the testing requirement will be dropped but I can't see that happening. 

I'm perplexed as to why Canada is still requiring the PCR for entry - seems to me it's unsuccessful at stopping COVID from coming into the country. Omicron came from someone coming in who in theory had a negative PCR test result. It would be far less onerous in terms of expense, availability and time required for turnaround if we only needed a rapid antigen test which would likely be just as "effective" as the current requirements. 

I really hate to disappoint the kids again. It's our last chance at a March Break cruise for our family as our eldest is off to university next fall and her break will no longer align with the rest of the kids. 

Hard to believe it was little more than a month ago that we deposited and I thought I was so clever to "surprise" the kids with this trip as a Christmas gift (gave them a puzzle to put together on Christmas morning to figure it out). Things sure can change quick! 

IMG_2169.jpg

Wow...   what a great creative Christmas surprise.  I hope you will all enjoy the cruise in March. At least you will be all vaccinated to make things little simplier.

Yes, we did Feb 23-March 1 cruise last year.  I really wanted to cancel but everyone else said no problem.  I was glad we did go as not only we enjoyed the new ship (first on Anthem and Quantum class), I was the healthiest as we were laughing all week (better comedians).  Amazing that no one was coughing or sniffling all week.  We as a family went out to a nearby beach by taxi together each port. Nothing fancy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TOCruisers said:

Hi LuCruise,  You are welcome.

At the EWR airport, everyone was wearing mask so we did not feel any different from home.  And definitely not crowded.  So the shock was stronger at the hotel’s sign and the mall.  To be fair, we had breakfast at the hotel, and tables were placed with enough social distancing to feel comfortable.  We now use YTZ to go to EWR because it is much easier for immigration which is done at the EWR.  We also do not have to get up at 4 am.   After we moved to downtown, we used YTZ three times to fly to EWR.  Very easy each time. This time, however, US ESTA (e-US Visa) system went down, apparently country wide, just before I used my Nexus card.  I was luckily cleared manually through Americans/Canadians immigration booth.  Not sure what happened to people who piled up in the “other” nationality immigration booths without Nexus cards, American or Canadian passports.  They were definitely crowded.

My husband did not want to drive to CL. Otherwise, under the current circumstances, the driving to Cape Liberty is a very reasonable and safe alternative.  My son stopped for gas and drive thru meals only.

Thanks for getting back to me.  Very good to hear about EWR.  I like the fact that it's so close to the port in New Jersey side.  Also have the option of flying porter or from Pearson but Pearson seems a mess these days and prob much more crowded.  We have Anthem booked 2022 and still planning on driving (with plan similar to your son - and maybe a hotel to break up the 8hr drive), but definitely comforting if we decide to fly.  

• Like 1

I too was on this cruise with the wife, and when it started Omicron wasn’t that bad but as the cruise progressed it got so bad out there but on the ship we were kinda isolated and it felt safe to us. We drove down but parked at a hotel close to EWR for the cruise duration. 

We too were on the fence of if we should go or not but going was the best decision for us as we really enjoyed it. We felt the safety measures in place were sufficient, and yes we did come across the bad apples who don’t wear masks properly and force themselves into elevators.

Coming home later that day the land border crossing was simple, we crossed at Landsdowne / 1000 Islands. We flew a couple months back and had green stickers already on our passports and we’re Nexus holders so we kinda expect it to be a breeze. Agent asked to see the PCR test result and I showed the Eurofins one on my phone. I didn’t print anything. Agent didn’t tell us to quarantine or take any additional test.

The only downside was that Royal charged my credit card in Canadian dollars when I specifically asked them during Check-In to charge in USD and let my bank convert it (Scotia Passport Visa has no 2.5% fx fee that’s why). Phone agent wasn’t that helpful and took and hour to convince them to give me a small refund for the error.

Edited by dm1336

4 hours ago, dm1336 said:

I too was on this cruise with the wife, and when it started Omicron wasn’t that bad but as the cruise progressed it got so bad out there but on the ship we were kinda isolated and it felt safe to us. We drove down but parked at a hotel close to EWR for the cruise duration. 

We too were on the fence of if we should go or not but going was the best decision for us as we really enjoyed it. We felt the safety measures in place were sufficient, and yes we did come across the bad apples who don’t wear masks properly and force themselves into elevators.

Coming home later that day the land border crossing was simple, we crossed at Landsdowne / 1000 Islands. We flew a couple months back and had green stickers already on our passports and we’re Nexus holders so we kinda expect it to be a breeze. Agent asked to see the PCR test result and I showed the Eurofins one on my phone. I didn’t print anything. Agent didn’t tell us to quarantine or take any additional test.

The only downside was that Royal charged my credit card in Canadian dollars when I specifically asked them during Check-In to charge in USD and let my bank convert it (Scotia Passport Visa has no 2.5% fx fee that’s why). Phone agent wasn’t that helpful and took and hour to convince them to give me a small refund for the error.

re Charges to CC:  I normally set my account as Cash (the trick I learned here in CC).  This time I did not have that choice.  Only way to secure the proper charge to my USD credit card (In the past RCL charged my USD CC a converted CAD equivalent amount at their favourate exchange rate, no matter how I instructed) is a visit to guest service last day and give them my USD card and ask for a paid receipt.  Often I get an argument that I do not have to do this, charges to C.C will be done automatically in Miami.  This time no argument.  They definitely had better GS staff and less line up.  Go when the GS is not busy.  Save an annoying hour to spend here in Canada for 15 minutes (this time much less) at the GS.

re green sticker:  I did not know you could keep it for the next time 😀  I took it off.  ☹️