New COVID testing requirements in PR and USVI, NCL denies knowing anything about it

Javajitterz

I feel like my husband and I dodged a bullet. We recently completed a b2b2b starting in NY. Each cruise disembarked in San Juan. We did a post cruise stay of three days in San Juan. No testing was required for our to disembark, post stay or flight home. The day after we disembarked the ship we started receiving emails from Sara Alert monitor our health. I understand we will be monitored 14 days post cruise. 

E9A990D4-2221-49EE-9D1F-9A67894C752B.thumb.jpeg.a976b737f1cce3615e34a43d6e5501b2.jpegDBBBB2D7-FE67-4A18-ADB6-6B3E2900A7D0.thumb.jpeg.eb39f78e141aa23c6de669e82297b616.jpeg

Just reviewed the travel requirements on NCL website for Puerto Rico cruises that start and end there and this is the new requirement.  So on our b2b we will test before flying to PR, at the ship on the 1st cruise, on the ship for the 2nd cruise and since we are staying a few days after we disembark we will test 1 more time either on the ship or at CVS.  

• San Juan, Puerto Rico:
    • Guests must show proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within 48h of visiting Puerto Rico in order to go ashore.
    • Effective 1.16.2022, Puerto Rico will implement post-cruise testing requirements for guests who are disembarking in Puerto Rico as follows:
      • Residents of Puerto Rico:
        • Must have a COVID-19 test performed within 48 hours after disembarking the ship.
        • Must complete the Online Travel Declaration Form from the Puerto Rican Department of Health and Safety, which can be found here, https://1link.travelsafe.pr.gov/. This must be completed PRIOR to disembarking the ship and guests must show proof of the resulting QR code at disembarkation.
      • Non-residents of Puerto Rico departing the same day of disembarkation:
        • No additional testing is required to disembark the ship.
      • Non-residents of Puerto Rico staying overnight in Puerto Rico after the cruise:
        • Must have a COVID-19 antigen test performed within 48 hours prior to disembarking the ship.
          • Norwegian Cruise Line will facilitate the test that is required (cost may apply).
            • Guests who secured their flights and/or post cruise hotel stay with Norwegian Cruise Line will not be charged for the test.
            • Guests who secured their flights and/or post cruise hotel stay independently will be responsible for the cost of the COVID-19 test:
              • $99 per person for an antigen test
              • $150 per person for a PCR test (if required)  

Mannn I absolutely lucked out on my 12.26 to 1.2 cruise out of San Juan.  I literally only tested at the pier with NCL the entire trip.  Came in two days early, which was 3 days earlier than the testing requirement to enter PR kicked in . .  And then I stayed two days post cruise in Isla Verde before heading home which is before the testing requirement to leave the island.

Just so many trap doors to cruise out of San Juan right now and not being able to head home in a car like if you were on the mainland, if you do test positive.

I still haven't tested since coming back and not going to as I feel fine.  Also no Sara alerts yet either.

Good luck to those that have a trip in the near future out of PR and make sure you are insured.

Edited by kdawg954

2 hours ago, pandncruisers said:

Just reviewed the travel requirements on NCL website for Puerto Rico cruises that start and end there and this is the new requirement.  So on our b2b we will test before flying to PR, at the ship on the 1st cruise, on the ship for the 2nd cruise and since we are staying a few days after we disembark we will test 1 more time either on the ship or at CVS.  

• San Juan, Puerto Rico:
    • Guests must show proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within 48h of visiting Puerto Rico in order to go ashore.
    • Effective 1.16.2022, Puerto Rico will implement post-cruise testing requirements for guests who are disembarking in Puerto Rico as follows:
      • Residents of Puerto Rico:
        • Must have a COVID-19 test performed within 48 hours after disembarking the ship.
        • Must complete the Online Travel Declaration Form from the Puerto Rican Department of Health and Safety, which can be found here, https://1link.travelsafe.pr.gov/. This must be completed PRIOR to disembarking the ship and guests must show proof of the resulting QR code at disembarkation.
      • Non-residents of Puerto Rico departing the same day of disembarkation:
        • No additional testing is required to disembark the ship.
      • Non-residents of Puerto Rico staying overnight in Puerto Rico after the cruise:
        • Must have a COVID-19 antigen test performed within 48 hours prior to disembarking the ship.
          • Norwegian Cruise Line will facilitate the test that is required (cost may apply).
            • Guests who secured their flights and/or post cruise hotel stay with Norwegian Cruise Line will not be charged for the test.
            • Guests who secured their flights and/or post cruise hotel stay independently will be responsible for the cost of the COVID-19 test:
              • $99 per person for an antigen test
              • $150 per person for a PCR test (if required)  

So that won't work our 1/8 Escape cruise. We do not meet the 48 hours in advance requirement and NCL won't be testing us at sea to make that port

7 minutes ago, Javajitterz said:

So that won't work our 1/8 Escape cruise. We do not meet the 48 hours in advance requirement and NCL won't be testing us at sea to make that port

When on a close looped cruise, there could be exceptions made.  it's possible that the test at the port and 100% vax status, in addition to current Covid percentage below the threshold on board, will allow you to visit.  It's not as cut and dry as say flying into the territory where these rules would be fully enforced.  Many times a close loop cruise is considered the "start of travel", so you test and start travel to PR the same day (which is obviously testing within 48 hours before start of travel) even if you leave Sunday and don't get the San Juan until Thursday.  Hope that makes sense. 

Not a guarantee obviously, and maybe NCL will reroute, I'm sure discussions are/have being/been had between PR and NCL on this.

7 hours ago, Snowrose said:

$99 for an antigen test? Well, now we know where NCL is making their money...

Actually, that's not terrible. The locations around me wanted $129 for an antigen and $239 for a PCR. I just went ahead and booked the Inspire Diagnostics test though, which was only $40