Covid on Zuiderdam

Loreto

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Perhaps the most interesting report involved the Jewel of the Seas where it was said that some infected crew members were moved to a different RCI ship in order to reduce the numbers/percentage of infected on the Jewel (so it could meet some threshold requirements).  While I have a degree of skepticism about this report we have not seen any denials from RCI.  

Its the purportedly reported news story I read somewhere about the crew on some ship Double-Masking...

What's up with that?  Not really a confident signal that things are going well in cew quarters or on board or behind closed curtains.

• Thanks 1

FYI. The current variant challenges the vaccines as well as the covid tests. DS and his GF caught covid despite being vaccinated and boosted and diligently mask wearing. GF went out to dinner with a couple of vaccinated friends (clearly that was the mistake) and they all brought covid home. After experiencing symptoms GF tested twice (once a rapid test, second time a PCR test)  and tested negative both times.  They assumed she had the flu. After DS experienced symptoms both of them turned up with positive rapid tests. 

Because they had the vaccine and boosters both experienced mild cases that cleared rapidly - Thank God for the vaccine.  But the new variant is treacherous and should not be underestimated. It is very contagious and without the vaccines, who knows how severe. Clearly it is challenging our covid tests. If you have symptoms assume you have covid. 

Edited by arzz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

…Perhaps the most interesting report involved the Jewel of the Seas where it was said that some infected crew members were moved to a different RCI ship in order to reduce the numbers/percentage of infected on the Jewel (so it could meet some threshold requirements).  While I have a degree of skepticism about this report we have not seen any denials from RCI….

It’s not just the Jewel. It’s Explorer, Odyssey, Symphony and perhaps more reported by those on board. Their captains have made announcements. See this for more from passengers currently onboard reporting these transfers: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2820934-jewel-of-the-seas-puts-covid-infected-crew-members-onto-rhapsody-of-the-seas/ (there’s also a link that has photos).

Koningsdam also did this last week, and the passenger reported that the captain said after doing so there were then no known cases onboard.

While it may help bring totals down—and also allow the ships to dock in some ports—I do think it’s in the best interest of other crew and passengers to do so, for isolation purposes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Just a heads up, Karen. We are in Mazatlan as we speak with Konngsdam. No probs getting clearance from the local authorities this morning. Be safe! 

When we returned from dinner the Where and When for Mazatlan was in our mailbox, a good sign! We will be on our favorite excursion, Estuaries and Bird Watching (for the 4th time) hopefully still with Polo.

I must say, the Pinnacle Grill on the Zuiderdam is outstanding, the best we have ever experienced.  We dined there 3 nights.

Enjoy your cruise, John, we are on the Koningsdam Feb.2-27 for the first time.

Karen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anyone on this sailing ended up being put in isolation and then transported to the San Diego La Quinta by HAL?  Do you have any info on how HAL is handling that situation?  Are they sending medical staff to follow up with those in isolation to release them to travel home?  

2 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Anyone on this sailing ended up being put in isolation and then transported to the San Diego La Quinta by HAL?  Do you have any info on how HAL is handling that situation?  Are they sending medical staff to follow up with those in isolation to release them to travel home?  

We got off this morning...not the greatest disembarkation.  After the initial COVID report after Guaymas and the cancellation of Topolobompo, I never heard anything else about th covid problem on the Zuiderdam.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 4:01 AM, Lizofwisconsin said:

How was the bird watching?

The afternoon scheduling of this excursion was a terrible decision.  Shore ex said they would let Seattle know.  We have done this 3 times, always in the morning.  This time we went first to Stone Island to eat...beach was over run with Holiday locals... and we could not do the usual tractor ride along the beach due to high tide.  It was quite late in the afternoon by the time we got into the boats for the estuary cruise.  We did see birds, but not as many as in the past.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Loreto said:

We got off this morning...not the greatest disembarkation.  After the initial COVID report after Guaymas and the cancellation of Topolobompo, I never heard anything else about th covid problem on the Zuiderdam.

I assume unless you were someone who was in isolation/quarantine, you would have no idea.  I have family that were and am just seeking information.