Arrival Day Before Good Enough These Days?

Julma

3 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

How about this for a strategy for making your Plan B, since you have some airline points.  This was suggested by the "Points Guy" during a CNBC interview.   First go ahead and book a flight using your credit card.  Book a later flight with your points.  If the first flight goes, great.  Cancel your award flight as you board the aircraft, most airlines allow same day cancellation and the miles to be redeposited without penalty.  If they cancel the first flight apply for the refund and take the second flight that you have booked.  Perhaps this approach would make you feel more comfortable.

this is exactly what I did!!  thank you.  I booked through Celebrity for the day before (American out of Boston at 6 PM).  I'll cancel the JetBlue once I'm in FLL.  Flight is late enough that I'll book a test in the AM and still have plenty of time to make it to the airport.  I live 10 minutes from airport.   I also have several proctored tests, so I'll be ready.  Lucky my husband and I are past the work, kids, etc. time in our lives or this would be so difficult to plan, I may choose not to go.  Thanks everyone, really appreciate the help.  Now time to cross fingers and toes!

• Like 1

We've always done the day before the cruise but, with the current situation of flights being cancelled, for our March cruise, we have reserved our flights from New York to Florida,  two days before!  I would advise you do the same!  Just MHO!

36 minutes ago, Pickels said:

We've always done the day before the cruise but, with the current situation of flights being cancelled, for our March cruise, we have reserved our flights from New York to Florida,  two days before!  I would advise you do the same!  Just MHO!

Sorry I should have been clearer.  My American "day before" is the day before my first flight, which was a day before the cruise.  I'm scheduled to fly out on American the Thursday before a Saturday cruise.  If that doesn't work, I still have my JetBlue flight on Friday. 

7 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Poor advice from TPG. This is particularly risky on Southwest. They will cancel duplicate tickets for same day/same city pair travel. 

All you need to do is book on two different airlines. Or fly into two different cities such as MIA and FLL.

7 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

All you need to do is book on two different airlines. Or fly into two different cities such as MIA and FLL.

Come on SNJ, this is cruise critic, I am with you, many of us plan accordingly but some...seem to rely on "oh dear what would you do" I make my plans according to me, and always have a plan B or C in my back pocket, regardless of COVID.

22 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Come on SNJ, this is cruise critic, I am with you, many of us plan accordingly but some...seem to rely on "oh dear what would you do" I make my plans according to me, and always have a plan B or C in my back pocket, regardless of COVID.

I have plans A, B and C lined up to get our Covid tests this weekend.  Plan A is to walk in to our clinics on Saturday since CVS (B) and Walgreens (C) are closed on New Years Day, but  Sunday morning appointments are lined up in case we hit a snag on Saturday.

On a side note, a big middle finger to the CDC for providing the anti cruise media more ammunition.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

On a side note, a big middle finger to the CDC for providing the anti cruise media more ammunition.

I agree with you.  I'm still going at the end of January.  They'll need to pry my Sea Pass card from my cold dead hand to keep me off the ship

• Haha 1