Jewel of the Seas - December 30

7 hours ago, Meem47 said:

Are you marked as Celiac in your cruise planner? And have the speciality dining approval prior to sailing? I’ve been sailing for years as Celiac and always have the head waiter assist me and our entire table with orders…I would never place an order with a regular server if they asked about potatoes being gluten free.  And yes, cross contamination can easily come from a shared table.  They have an entirely separate workstation in the galley where they prepare these meals, I was lucky enough to have a head waiter show me (it was a slow night haha) once aboard Freedom.  While each person is different in symptoms, if I had a reaction on the ship it would most definitely destroy the entire trip and land me down in medical.   They take allergens and Celiac very seriously…if it’s not noted in accommodations prior to sailing, they will treat it as “gluten free diet” versus “celiac disease/allergy” 

Yes - head waiter and I are good friends already. He just walked by and we chatted. I pre-order dinner and was even able to order French toast for this morning.

I last got sick in 2018 on a trip and it was unpleasant. If I have an exposure at this point it's game over. My niece has a reaction like me and last time ended up in the ER due to dehydration.  I don't mess around or take chances - not worth the short or long term consequences.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MichaelCMTX said:

How are they handling a shared table "under the circumstances"?  Past experience has had us anywhere from 4 - 10 per table and not at all distanced.

Hope you're having an awesome time.  Be well and safe.

There are 6 of us. I'm actually having drinks and enjoying Jamie's music right now with one of the couples.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, w770496 said:

Ask him to play Alphie he promised would learn this standard 

I just asked - he hasn't learned it. It was a good exchange - who said he'd learn it? I let him know we talk so I also couldn't say he played it when he hadn't.

Whoever is on next is up for requesting it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FlyOverGirl said:

Yes - head waiter and I are good friends already. He just walked by and we chatted. I pre-order dinner and was even able to order French toast for this morning.

I last got sick in 2018 on a trip and it was unpleasant. If I have an exposure at this point it's game over. My niece has a reaction like me and last time ended up in the ER due to dehydration.  I don't mess around or take chances - not worth the short or long term consequences.

Good to hear it! I got nervous for you haha…have a great time! (Yes I hear you with the exposure on a trip making it game over…yikes).  Happy New Year

• Like 1

Happy New Year y'all.

Random observation and complete speculation on my part - there have been a number of requests and reminders to put on masks when walking around, when it gets busy at the bar, and when standing near the piano. There are more people out and about tonight compared to last night. One comment in particular to one person stood out - they were asked to put on their mask because they were near the piano and Jamie could get in trouble/get a warning. All the reminders also mention the high risk to crew if they get exposed.

So, leadership appears to be leaning on crew to provide mask reminders, there is still crew spread, or/and they are concerned about the high risk (any higher than any other night on a cruise ship??) with NYE. All speculation on my part just stood out to me tonight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, FlyOverGirl said:

There are 6 of us. I'm actually having drinks and enjoying Jamie's music right now with one of the couples.

Thanks for the feedback.  We go in late April and are really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hoping either things blow over somewhat or RC gets their plans a little more consistent or both in the next 4 months. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone.  We're also onboard for this cruise and the next.  Internet has been slow today. 

1. Everyone was moved from traditional to mtd. Noticed on our seapass card and dh went to maitre d'  he explained they were using traditional dining for unvaxed and mixed seating.  We have 8 pm mtd and have asked same table and waiter.  Went to Chef's Table last so we will see how it works.

Chef's Table is normally 16 restricted to 8 but they had 7 when they agreed to add us to make 9.  Great time. More courses than I remember.  Very good about accommodating food issues,  but ad vise letting them know in advance,  which we did.

2.  Seemed crowded at NYE celebrations so we stayed on our deck, 9, and watched from there. Dh did head to deck 11 and ,out his party hat!  

3.  Did a waxing after boarding and a mani/pedi yesterday,  which ran late. The lady before me messed up her nails. The girl who took care of me said she gets her booster next week.

4. I've noticed that most of the crew are double masked, N95 and blue Royal mask over it.  Most people are pretty good about masks but most are not observing limits on elevators!  As to elevators someone didn't change Wednesday to Thursday!   Fixed by Friday! 

5. Noticed in today's compass that crew will no longer be setting room service trays, that they will be on a trolley outside your cabin.  Can't confirm as we went brunch at Tides. 

Smooth seas though rain predicted for tonight. 

Any Questions? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MichaelCMTX said:

Thanks for the feedback.  We go in late April and are really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hoping either things blow over somewhat or RC gets their plans a little more consistent or both in the next 4 months. 

Which cruise?  We will be on Jewel again April 23rd and 29th. 

On the 23rd cruise, towards the end of the week, I definitely noticed more crew members being double masked. Also outside on the pool deck they made you put on a mask while ordering, which was not required earlier on in the week. 

Happy New Year!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

Hi everyone.  We're also onboard for this cruise and the next.  Internet has been slow today. 

1. Everyone was moved from traditional to mtd. Noticed on our seapass card and dh went to maitre d'  he explained they were using traditional dining for unvaxed and mixed seating.  We have 8 pm mtd and have asked same table and waiter.  Went to Chef's Table last so we will see how it works.

Chef's Table is normally 16 restricted to 8 but they had 7 when they agreed to add us to make 9.  Great time. More courses than I remember.  Very good about accommodating food issues,  but ad vise letting them know in advance,  which we did.

2.  Seemed crowded at NYE celebrations so we stayed on our deck, 9, and watched from there. Dh did head to deck 11 and ,out his party hat!  

3.  Did a waxing after boarding and a mani/pedi yesterday,  which ran late. The lady before me messed up her nails. The girl who took care of me said she gets her booster next week.

4. I've noticed that most of the crew are double masked, N95 and blue Royal mask over it.  Most people are pretty good about masks but most are not observing limits on elevators!  As to elevators someone didn't change Wednesday to Thursday!   Fixed by Friday! 

5. Noticed in today's compass that crew will no longer be setting room service trays, that they will be on a trolley outside your cabin.  Can't confirm as we went brunch at Tides. 

Smooth seas though rain predicted for tonight. 

Any Questions? 

We will be on Jewel in 2 weeks, as long as we pass the home test before we fly and then pass the test at Miami airport to give to RC. Suitcases are out and we are getting very excited! Is there a band in the Centrum? We love to dance. Have you seen the piano man in the Schooner Bar? Thanks for taking the time to do this. Been living thru everyone's blogs! 

2 hours ago, NanaP1398 said:

We will be on Jewel in 2 weeks, as long as we pass the home test before we fly and then pass the test at Miami airport to give to RC. Suitcases are out and we are getting very excited! Is there a band in the Centrum? We love to dance. Have you seen the piano man in the Schooner Bar? Thanks for taking the time to do this. Been living thru everyone's blogs! 

I believe so. Dh says he thinks alternating between 2 groups. 

Edited by njkruzer
Fix

8 minutes ago, lacruiser said:

Question about shore excursions: are you restricted to RCI excursions or can you book your own? We’re on the 1/23 Jewel sailing and I hope we can make our own plans.

If fully vaccinated yes, at least so far. At our first port today, Costa Rica.  Reminded us to take vaccine card. We were on a tour and didn't need to show but also we didn't exit/enter through the port entrance.

One thing I've noticed is what's not on the TV. We last sailed the Radiance in Australia in March 2020. I may be wrong but I thought on the TV you could see that day's menu, your account and booked excursions.  None of that is on the TV.  Yes you can see the excursions but not book.  They tell you to use the app on the phone for everything or to visit guest services.   My memory may be faulty. 

In Colon Panama todY. Went to the Indian village,  bus the dugout canoe!  Had a little rain but not bad.  Dh said the Tilapia was very good. They raise the fish and caught them after we arrived. Can't imagine anything fresher!

On another note there is a couple on board with 2 cute little white dogs!  Saw them in the elevator. I thought "emotional" support dogs were banned pre covid.  Dh says I shouldn't start anything.   The person I spoke with at guest services claimed to know nothing.  We walked past the place where the dogs must do their business on deck 5.