Mardi Gras - Dec 26th - Jan 2nd

K_e_short

I just got off that cruise and had a fantastic time.

I did a longer post in the Canadian section as I had some extra hurdles to go through to get to and from the ship.

The ship is amazing!!! There is no other way to explain it. 

So many others have posted reviews and pics so I don't need to do that, other then to give this suggestion.

Read up on those reviews and make a list of what you need to do, what you want to do. If I hadn't I would have probably forgotten to do something.

Now in terms of Covid there were rumours that there were over 200 cases on board. Someone from the Canadian section was on that sailing with me and tested positive. She saw the list of positive tests and said it looked like over 200 people.

I also know of another Canadian family who tested positive after getting off the ship. (To explain - Canadians need a negative PCR test to travel home. We aren't doing it because we have symptoms).

I felt very safe on the ship. I wore my mask when I was supposed to. I tried to social distance but that wasn't always possible. My vacation (first sunny vacation since March 2019 and first cruise since August 2019) was not ruined by the masks. I am from Ottawa, Canada and we have to wear masks inside. 

I will say that the skill I learned from this cruise is how to take on and off a mask while holding my cell phone and a drink with one hand 🙂

I have a 12 day Europe cruise booked on the Pride, along with a Queen Mary 2 transatlantic booked in the summer. I really hope things calm down there and we don't have to cancel. It looks like I'll have to cancel my all inclusive to Mexico (too many rules put out by the Canadian government) so happy I was able to enjoy some sunny weather on such an amazing ship.

(If you are Canadian and looking for a detailed review of the process to go to and from Canada during a pandemic, I posted it in the Canadian forum).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Cruise, J.D. said:

We were on the Glory during the same time. We saw your ship in Coz and Roatan. It looked BIG!

My son really wants to try it out but the potential crowding makes me a bit leery (not really Covid-related, just don't like too much crowding on the ships).

We had 5200 passengers and it can hold 6500.

It was crowded. I can't imagine what 6500 guests would look like.

I did the Carnival Sunshine for Spring Break and remember the crowds as well. 

The good thing about the Mardi Gras is there are so many areas that you can find a quiet space, as long as you are flexible. For example I was at the pool reading and suntanning every day. I rotated around based on what pool was the quietest and what deck loungers were free.

Oh and here is pic of our two ships next to each other. My son was like "um mom the Glory is like 1/3 the size of our ship."

20211228_103508.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, K_e_short said:

The good thing about the Mardi Gras is there are so many areas that you can find a quiet space, as long as you are flexible. For example I was at the pool reading and suntanning every day. I rotated around based on what pool was the quietest and what deck loungers were free.

And then there's that wonderful Serenity area on Mardi Gras.  I ended up spending much of my sea-day afternoons there.  Bartenders were great and the salads from Fresh Creations were also great...when the wind wasn't blowing the lettuce up and over into the pool.  😄  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pellaz said:

And then there's that wonderful Serenity area on Mardi Gras.  I ended up spending much of my sea-day afternoons there.  Bartenders were great and the salads from Fresh Creations were also great...when the wind wasn't blowing the lettuce up and over into the pool.  😄  

I only made it there on the last day and the salad bar was closed, or hadn't opened yet.

I did find the wind to be annoying, which is why I stayed at the Lido Pool.

Such a rough life I have - there is too much wind as I sit on a pool deck on a beautiful ship in the middle of the ocean for New Years 🙂

• Haha 1