Show Cancellations due to performers with guest status?

tx121

At first it seemed weird to me that the ships entertainment crew, mainly the production cast was getting infected with covid since they really had no face to face interactions with the guests. 

Yes I know they could get affected from other crew members but then I remembered when we cruised a few years back on the Oasis, we met the cast member who played Tracey in Hairspray in the Windjammer. She mentioned that certain performers like herself have guest status and stay in guest cabins since they are the leads of the broadway type of shows. I'm wondering if this is causing "outbreaks" among some of the ships production cast? 

If you look at the other ships in the fleet without the Broadway type shows, you don't see their cast becoming sick and canceled shows since they don't have guest status. Maybe it's just a coincidence? 

• Like 1

There are outbreaks because this latest variant is highly contagious and vaccines don't prevent spread.  They are working pretty well to prevent serious symptoms but that's it.  The crew was apparently vaccinated with J&J which is not nearly as effective as the other ones too, therefore they may be more symptomatic.  It seems RCCL has also given boosters to "eligible" staff but again, it doesn't prevent spread.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, tx121 said:

since they really had no face to face interactions with the guests. 

Unlike most of the other staff, they have a lot of latitude where they can go on the ship and interact with guests, including the specialty dining venues where you could have a superspreader event..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Unlike most of the other staff, they have a lot of latitude where they can go on the ship and interact with guests, including the specialty dining venues where you could have a superspreader event..

As entertainers likely have fewer ship board duties during port stops, perhaps entertainers are more likely to have time to go ashore than most other employees.  If so, they have the risk of catching it in port (unless the ship has curtailed all post visit by staff, I just don’t know the current policy)

1 minute ago, Starry Eyes said:

As entertainers likely have fewer ship board duties during port stops, perhaps entertainers are more likely to have time to go ashore than most other employees.

In normal times, yes, but in the Omicron era they are usually stuck on board like all others (except CocoCay).

On 1/4/2022 at 11:17 AM, Biker19 said:

In normal times, yes, but in the Omicron era they are usually stuck on board like all others (except CocoCay).

but I think the time has come for them to isolate from passengers as much as possible.

I would rather see a show than to see them around the ship like they were guests.   Keep them in their own area like bridge crew is kept.  

I doubt it.  Being in a guest cabin above decks would mean they would be LESS likely to contract Covid than below decks.

Below decks is REALLY crowded, and there is no way to distance.  I am not the least bit surprised, considering how tight it is down there, that Covid is spreading like wildfire among the crew.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

but I think the time has come for them to isolate from passengers as much as possible.

I would rather see a show than to see them around the ship like they were guests.   Keep them in their own area like bridge crew is kept.  

Wow, so you can see a show you want to punish the entertainers?  Who told you bridge crew is in their own area?  Bridge "crew" is made up of officers and they have a lot of access to guest areas.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, BND said:

Wow, so you can see a show you want to punish the entertainers?  Who told you bridge crew is in their own area?  Bridge "crew" is made up of officers and they have a lot of access to guest areas.  

given recent events, yes they should stay isolated so at least the show can go on.

I have heard on several forums that the bridge officers isolate as much as possible. yes this is true.