Recent Joy Cruisers in Aft Cabins

vacation44

On 1/6/2022 at 3:46 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

Even after seeing the video? Yes. I'm guessing that the vibrations are sporadic and not constant.

Ship movement doesn't bother me. I've stayed all the way forward, all the way up and forward, all the way aft, etc. and been able to sleep without a problem (PBP, thanks).

Knowing that some movement is normal also helps whereas someone not accustomed to movement/shimmy might be bothered more.

This is not "ship movement" we experienced on deck 14 in our aft facing balcony. It was CONSTANT teeth chattering body jolting vibration. We have cruised just over 50 times and many of our earlier cruises were in aft facing balconies. Some ships did have some vibration but nothing that would prevent us from sleeping. Joy, on the other hand, was vibrating so strongly, neither one of could not sleep and we did try for two hours before going to customer service for a cabin change.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, vacation44 said:

My 23 year old daughter got me off the should I or shouldn't I ledge this morning. She reminded me that I have a great Haven cabin with a double extended balcony that will be able to fit two loungers easily.   Then informed me I will be worried about it for the next five weeks and will then most likely stay awake during the cruise wondering if and when the vibration/noise will start.   

The vibration/noise started from the moment the ship left the dock We figured it would "simmer down" once we got underway. No such luck and the vibration/noise intensified when we tried to go to sleep.

29 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

This is not "ship movement" we experienced on deck 14 in our aft facing balcony. It was CONSTANT teeth chattering body jolting vibration

In that case, I probably wouldn't take it. Thanks for letting us know that it isn't just an occasionally violent shimmy but is a constant shake.

Bummer. I couldn't take the chance and canceled my bids. I had already self paid and upped to the SC category for what would have been the lowest bid so I will just stick with that. Odds were against me winning the aft haven cabins as I only did 100 dollars up from the minimum but I was afraid if too many people backed out of the cruise I might have actually won it. I will be thrilled just to make it to and through the cruise.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, coffeebean said:

This is not "ship movement" we experienced on deck 14 in our aft facing balcony. It was CONSTANT teeth chattering body jolting vibration. We have cruised just over 50 times and many of our earlier cruises were in aft facing balconies. Some ships did have some vibration but nothing that would prevent us from sleeping. Joy, on the other hand, was vibrating so strongly, neither one of could not sleep and we did try for two hours before going to customer service for a cabin change.

Thanks! I guess now i just have to decide if I want to upgrade from forward facing penthouse to Courtyard Haven Penthouse with large balcony, gonna strike the aft off my list. 

6 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Thanks! I guess now i just have to decide if I want to upgrade from forward facing penthouse to Courtyard Haven Penthouse with large balcony, gonna strike the aft off my list. 

Wise decision:)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

decided to do the courtyard large balcony, even though the room is smaller than fwd facing. 

One other caveat about forward staterooms.  If your room is positioned so that light from your room might interfere with the night vision of officers on the bridge, you will be required to either close your window shades or turn out your lights.  So don't count on using your balcony at night.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 10:07 AM, aubreyc1988 said:

Very smart move.

• Like 1

I'm wondering how far back the vibration is heard. I do not have an aft facing balcony, but always book cabins toward the very back of the ship (I just like it there for some reason) So, on the Joy we have a cabin in the back, exactly 7 cabins forward of the end suite/starboard. Should I move toward the center?

56 minutes ago, halos said:

I'm wondering how far back the vibration is heard. I do not have an aft facing balcony, but always book cabins toward the very back of the ship (I just like it there for some reason) So, on the Joy we have a cabin in the back, exactly 7 cabins forward of the end suite/starboard. Should I move toward the center?

The vibration is felt. The creaking is heard. Hubby and I walked to just forward of the aft elevators and the vibration is still very noticeable. Our aft facing balcony cabin was changed to a club balcony cabin a few cabins forward of the forward elevators. That is where the vibration is non existent. 

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 9:39 AM, lkj1301 said:

We were on the Joy 12/11 - 12/18 Haven corner aft 13958.  The worst days were the 1st 2 nights

(travel down to Roatan) and the night we left Cozumel on the way back to Miami.  I was told Captain was traveling at a higher rate of speed than the cruise say from Belize to Costa Maya or Costa Maya to Cozumel.  Also, we were going against the current.  The1st night we weren't able to sleep at all.  The 2nd night they gave us a different cabin to sleep in for the rest of the week if needed since the Haven was "sold out."  The 2nd to last night was "livable" but I still would not have wanted the noise/vibration for the entire trip.

I have read on these boards (sorry can't remember where), that this problem was a known problem.

Why they haven't fixed it or changed the itinerary so we wouldn't have to speed down to Roatan is beyond me.  

Sorry if this doesn't help or not what you were hoping to hear.

I will say the concierge, Armando in particular did everything in his power to resolve the situation.

The room and balcony, other than noise and vibration were really nice. And our butler Loy and room steward Mohammed were great also.

DH will probably never let me book another aft cabin again on the Joy even if the problem is resolved.

Hi there.  Our daughters will be in cabin 13958 on the June 5th cruise to Bermuda. Would you have any pictures of the room that you could share? They are excited about the room. 

19 hours ago, Mitch2785 said:

Hi there.  Our daughters will be in cabin 13958 on the June 5th cruise to Bermuda. Would you have any pictures of the room that you could share? They are excited about the room. 

NCL Joy 13958 bdrm.jpg

NCL Joy 13958 bdrm 2.jpg

NCL Joy 13958 bathroom.jpg

NCL Joy 13958 bathroom 2.jpg

NCL Joy 13958 livingrm.jpg

NCL Joy 13958 livingrm 2.jpg

NCL Joy 13958 balcony.jpg

• Like 2

Hopefully by the time they cruise the vibration problem will be fixed or the Captain doesn't go "full steam ahead" to Bermuda.

But other than that it was a wonderful room.  We didn't mind the walk to the elevators or stairs either.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lkj1301 said:

Hopefully by the time they cruise the vibration problem will be fixed or the Captain doesn't go "full steam ahead" to Bermuda.

Yes, I would be interested to know if the problem will still exist when they switch over to Bermuda sailings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On Joy now and my husband and I did a walk by these cabins to check out the situation and we are very that we passed on them.   Absolutely love our Haven 14178.  Perfect location for us and 100% do not mind not being in the courtyard.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, vacation44 said:

On Joy now and my husband and I did a walk by these cabins to check out the situation and we are very that we passed on them.   Absolutely love our Haven 14178.  Perfect location for us and 100% do not mind not being in the courtyard.

Glad to hear this-I am in the twin cabin 14778 in  5 weeks. Debated bidding/paying to be in the Haven  proper courtyard-but after many comments from others-saying staying outside courtyard was not that big a deal or that bad a walk to courtyard-decided to save the money for other things like tips for butler,concierge,bar tenders, room steward and possible upgrade to premium plus beverage package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acruzaholic said:

Glad to hear this-I am in the twin cabin 14778 in  5 weeks. Debated bidding/paying to be in the Haven  proper courtyard-but after many comments from others-saying staying outside courtyard was not that big a deal or that bad a walk to courtyard-decided to save the money for other things like tips for butler,concierge,bar tenders, room steward and possible upgrade to premium plus beverage package.

Do not think being in the Courtyard would enhance our vacation at all.   We really love our location.   Enjoy your cruise.

36 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

PXL_20220214_152735851.MP.jpg

PXL_20220214_134951462.MP.jpg

Once again THANK YOU for the pics-Gary  I can hardly wait-less than 5 weeks to go-1st time in the Haven. I did a lot of comparing other Haven room categories and I think these rooms 14178/14778 are the best Haven value for two.