Antigen Test vs. PCR Test

lotadots

Hey Guys,

Quick Question,

As we all are aware the Quick Antigen Test can provide False positives. Has anyone heard if you do your own PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding, will that be accepted at the dock on embarkation day and override a potential false positive Quick Antigen Test. 

Awaiting your feedback

1 minute ago, lotadots said:

Hey Guys,

Quick Question,

As we all are aware the Quick Antigen Test can provide False positives. Has anyone heard if you do your own PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding, will that be accepted at the dock on embarkation day and override a potential false positive Quick Antigen Test. 

Awaiting your feedback

No it will not override the testing result at the port. They can't tell if you caught Covid from when you got the test and when you arrived at the port.

If you do test positive, they will retest you before denying you boarding.

• Like 4

It looks like it depends when you are cruising:

Cruises with embarkation dates through February 28, 2022:
All guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test, administered and paid for by the cruise line, prior to boarding and receive a negative result. Any positive antigen test will be confirmed with a PCR test. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing.

In addition, while guests will be tested for COVID-19 upon arrival at the terminal pre-embarkation, we highly recommend that guests self-test at home prior to departure.

Cruises with embarkation dates beginning March 1, 2022:
At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/ or BioReference's Scarlet service - BioReference sends a trained Scarlet Health Professional to your home to collect your COVID-19 test specimen), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

• Like 1

A negative PCR test three days ago doesn’t mean you couldn’t possibly be positive today 🤷🏻‍♀️ I know false positive antigens happen but in real life I see many, many more false negative antigens.  One of my friends has been sick/symptomatic for 6 days, testing daily and today was her first positive antigen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, lotadots said:

Hey Guys,

Quick Question,

Awaiting your feedback

The Antigen test at the pier, if positive, is not the final answer.  They'd give you a rapid PCR next.  If that's positive, it's time to get your bags off the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

All guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test, administered and paid for by the cruise line, prior to boarding and receive a negative result. Any positive antigen test will be confirmed with a PCR test. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing.

In addition, while guests will be tested for COVID-19 upon arrival at the terminal pre-embarkation, we highly recommend that guests self-test at home prior to departure.

At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/ or BioReference's Scarlet service - BioReference sends a trained Scarlet Health Professional to your home to collect your COVID-19 test specimen), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing.

Hello,

Thank you for this information and for the link.  I had thought maybe something was copied wrong but the link has the same language.

What is with the wording?  When I read this, NCL will pay for my Covid Antigen Test.  It then goes on to state that "In Addition" guests will be tested at the terminal pre-embarkation.

If I didn't know what I know, or think I know, my expectation is they are paying for my test prior to going to the port and again prior to boarding.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Thanks for the update. I booked a February cruise on the Breakaway yesterday and I checked this site but this was only until January. Apparently they updated it today and extended it for February. I’m happy that I don’t have to look for a place in NOLA to get the test.

• Like 1

I went back and read through this more.  I’ve found NCL to make statements that require further reading.  I’ll cut them a little slack, not much, for this is an evolving situation.

Please be aware they are only talking about free test at port and strongly suggest you test at home prior to leaving for cruise.

However, please note the following and as always caveat emptor.

Please note for cruises with embarkation dates through February 28, 2022: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by their travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of their travel date. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within 96-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance.

False positives are far more common with PCR testing, whereas the rapid antigen tests are more likely to have false negatives (~100x more likely than a false positive). The stats vary but last I saw the false positive rate for antigen tests was 0.4%. https://www.healthline.com/health/how-accurate-are-rapid-covid-tests#other-types-of-tests

So here's where I'm confused. We plan to get tested 3 days prior. Our store offers pcr which can takes days to get. But also offers the antigen test which is 15 minutes. So will either be ok to take? I'd rather have the final results before flying down to fl. But it seems NCL keeps changing the wording ughh.

A few days ago it was pcr only and at the least an antigen test. But now seems they will take either?? As long as done by a lab and not home test?? Anyone know for sure?  My head is spinning