~~Is there a liquor store/wine shop in walking distance of the San Diego Port?????

FlorenceItaly

I would like to carry on some wine. I just think the mark up on HAL is a bit high. For instance a bottle of Beringer, White Zinfandel is $21.75 plus the 15% surcharge. That IS high for Beringer, imo. Now, I understand I will have corkage fee, however, I would like this for in room consumption. I enjoy having a cocktail while getting ready for dinner.

Thanks for your help!

Marie

i believe that there is -- to be safe if you fly in the same day as the sail why dont you have the taxi just stop at a package store and you can duck in and make your purchases

That is an option also. I had not even thought of that. I keep thinking I read somewhere there was a store nearby, but maybe I am dreaming :). Maybe someone will come along with the good news that there is, but stopping on the way is definitely an option. Thanks again.

Btw, have you heard from Randy while on his cruise???

Marie

Yes. There are at least two options. If you just want some everyday type wine, you can go to Ralph's Market-they have a very large wine department along with most everything else-a real superstore. If you want some really nice or unusual wine you can go to the Wine Bank in the Gas Lamp District. We stayed at the Hyatt and both were walking distance. A third option is Cost Plus World Market which is just a block from the Wine Bank.

Gary

Where is your hotel? There might be one next to where you are staying, so let me know and I'll give you some ideas. I live near Downtown SD.

All of the other wine suggestions were spot on, too -- Wine Bank (for higher end), Ralphs, and Cost Plus.

Thanks for the help! We're staying at the Mission Valley Travelodge at 1201 Hotel Circle South. Not fancy by any stretch of the imagination... just an inexpensive place to crash for the night (for us east-coast travellers who will have been on the go from 5am onwards...) before hitting the pier the next day.

THANKS!

Caroline

our last home was in the Antelope area. I know exactly where you are. In fact, everytime I see a post of yours it reminds me of some dear friends we have in Sacto. His name is Gary too. He is a CPA and they live over by Country Club Plaza, not far from you. We can not get over the current real estate prices in Sacto. Unfortunately when we left in 1993 we took a loss on the house. We bought high, and then had to sell when the market was bad. My dh worked at the Sacto. Army Depot, and was effected by the closing of it.

Marie

Thanks for the help! We're staying at the Mission Valley Travelodge at 1201 Hotel Circle South. Not fancy by any stretch of the imagination... just an inexpensive place to crash for the night (for us east-coast travellers who will have been on the go from 5am onwards...) before hitting the pier the next day.

THANKS!

Caroline

I do know there are loads of places near there. my mother lives near fashion valley. And now that I am old enough I know the places to get alcohol near there :) Do you have a CostCo card? Costco is a great place. or even better there is a Ralph's supermarket on Mission Center Blvd. That is about 5 or 10 mins where you are staying. Here is the address and directions etc http://clients.mapquest.com/ralphs/mqlocator?screen=find&link=map2&sqlcol1=record_id&sqlcnd1=%3D&sqlval1=70300077&queryIconCol=icon_id&addr_origin=&city_origin=San%20Diego&state_origin=CA&zo=92111&occ=US

or http://web.sa.mapquest.com/ralphs/?transaction=route&pwidth=450&pheight=389&destrecordId=70300077&origaddress=&origcity=San%20Diego&origstateProvince=CA&origpostalCode=92111&origcountry=US&table=MQ_31446

Hope this helps...

Thanks, Gary. I've written the address down and put it with my cruise documents. We'll definitely make a stop there :).

Marie

Caroline, there is a shop (like a 7-11 type of place) near your Travelodge that sells alcohol. I don't know the name of it but it's in easy walking distance. Ralph's and Costco would require a taxi, but they probably would have better prices.

Have a great time!

When we took the Oosterdam in January, we stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay. Worked out well with the free shuttle from the airport and I was able to watch the ship come in Saturday morning.

There was wine for sale in the gift shop at the hotel and the prices weren't bad. Unfortunately, they didn't carry my brand of Riesling.

I walked to the Thifty White drug store up the street. From the Holiday Inn walk over to W Ash St (at the corner). Turn right, walk across the tracks, and the drug store is at the next corner. I believe it's the corner of W Ash & Kettner.

There was a lot of variety and prices were good. Not many small bottles of liquor, mostly larger - so allow room for wrapping and packing. I put a bottle of wine in each of our carry on's and there wasn't a problem when they went through the x-ray machine. I picked up a box of red wine for my dad who was flying in that day and going directly to the ship - I put that in our luggage that we left on the cart in the lot at the cruise terminal. No problem there either. I had used those pull through zipper tabs (don't know what they're called, those plastic things) on all of our luggage and nothing had been disturbed.

A side note though. Prices on the ship weren't as bad as I expected they would be for a drink. And, buying a bottle of wine and taking the rest back to your room was cheaper than buying by the glass.

Have a wonderful vacation!!!!

PS - remember the corkscrew;)

Hi Marie,

I'm going to drive to San Diego for the cruise. If you know exactly what you'd like, it's no problem for me to either buy it here (Sam's Club has a two-pack of Beringer White Zinfandel for $7.59) or pick it up in San Diego. I should have all day Friday there before the cruise. I really don't mind. Let me know.....

I would like to carry on some wine. I just think the mark up on HAL is a bit high. For instance a bottle of Beringer, White Zinfandel is $21.75 plus the 15% surcharge. That IS high for Beringer, imo. Now, I understand I will have corkage fee, however, I would like this for in room consumption. I enjoy having a cocktail while getting ready for dinner.

How sweet of you to offer. Thank you. I think I will take you up on your generous offer, if you are sure it wouldn't be too much for you. The 2pack of Beringer, White Zinfandel sounds perfect. My plan was for my sister and I each to have a bottle in our room. So, this is perfect. Are you sure it's not too much to handle when you get to the port? We can talk more on our Roll Call. Thanks again :).

Marie

When we took the Oosterdam in January, we stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay. Worked out well with the free shuttle from the airport and I was able to watch the ship come in Saturday morning.

There was wine for sale in the gift shop at the hotel and the prices weren't bad. Unfortunately, they didn't carry my brand of Riesling.

I walked to the Thifty White drug store up the street. From the Holiday Inn walk over to W Ash St (at the corner). Turn right, walk across the tracks, and the drug store is at the next corner. I believe it's the corner of W Ash & Kettner.

There was a lot of variety and prices were good. Not many small bottles of liquor, mostly larger - so allow room for wrapping and packing. I put a bottle of wine in each of our carry on's and there wasn't a problem when they went through the x-ray machine. I picked up a box of red wine for my dad who was flying in that day and going directly to the ship - I put that in our luggage that we left on the cart in the lot at the cruise terminal. No problem there either. I had used those pull through zipper tabs (don't know what they're called, those plastic things) on all of our luggage and nothing had been disturbed.

A side note though. Prices on the ship weren't as bad as I expected they would be for a drink. And, buying a bottle of wine and taking the rest back to your room was cheaper than buying by the glass.

Have a wonderful vacation!!!!

PS - remember the corkscrew;)

Northshorepair - Thank you so much for your help, especially the wonderful directions to the store. It is greatly appreciated. I will be cruising out of San Diego again next year, on a very long cruise, so will be definitely bringing some wine onboard. And, thanks for the reminder about the corkscrew :).

Marie

Archived