Just back from APEX today - 1/8/2022

eroller

15 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Sounds like on the Apex the "happy" place for Basic Surf Package users might be somewhere under 1100 - 1200 passengers, but that's just a guess.

I recently read an article about reduced internet speeds on Celebrity due to “free internet” included causing everyone to use it more often. That was certainly the case on our sailing. Only “complaint” I had about the cruise honestly and unplugging a bit is not a bad thing really. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

I recently read an article about reduced internet speeds on Celebrity due to “free internet” included causing everyone to use it more often. That was certainly the case on our sailing. Only “complaint” I had about the cruise honestly and unplugging a bit is not a bad thing really. 

This is my first time having included internet and will have it again on our B2B on the Discovery Princess in April.  All of my past cruises and my future ones booked on other lines I unplug for the week.

On 1/11/2022 at 5:43 PM, SNJCruisers said:

Last week we had 1300, this week 1065. Can't see the difference making that much of a change.

WOW even fewer pax for the 7-day.  We will look back on these days when mega-ships sailed less than half-full very fondly.  Never will we experience the lack of crowds and inflated crew:pax ratio again.  We will be spoiled.  The only thing I missed about a full ship was at night, when none of the evening venues had much of a crowd so it was a bit more quiet than it would normally be.     

15 hours ago, eroller said:

As promised, here is the link to all the pictures from the cruise.  510 photos and 4 videos.  Pretty much all of the ship, which I thought was amazing and so photogenic.  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eroller/albums/72177720296079532

Just finished looking at all your photos....loved them.    The only thing that bothered me was on some of the oceanview photos I saw people serving themselves.  I thought it was n ot allowed at this time. 

Great photos and a wonderful review, Roller person, but why did you give away the secret to getting good interior pix?  🙂 I was particularly interested in seeing what Apex was like in these COVID times, as we are B to B in early February and are of a certain age (not young). Suffice to say, it was a relief to read that Apex, like so many other ships, is sailing at one third or one half capacity. Honestly, it's not the cruise that worries us, it's getting from LA to Ft. Lauderdale, Ubering, overnighting, eating ashore, etc. that gave us pause. In fact, we cancelled our original Apex booking and switched to a Pacific Coastal cruise on Eclipse so we could sail out of LA (we live 25 minutes from the port). Unfortunately, Celebrity cancelled our cruise and seemingly took that ship out of service, so we rebooked our original Apex cruise and took a financial hit because the fare had gone up since our old booking, some months ago. 

Not to steal this thread, in December we sailed on Viking Orion and thought we were on a ghost ship, what with 270 pax out of a possible 930. Talk about social distancing. And great service. As another poster said, as occupancy goes, we'll never see times like this again. 

16 hours ago, joeinsb said:

Great photos and a wonderful review, Roller person, but why did you give away the secret to getting good interior pix?  🙂 I was particularly interested in seeing what Apex was like in these COVID times, as we are B to B in early February and are of a certain age (not young). Suffice to say, it was a relief to read that Apex, like so many other ships, is sailing at one third or one half capacity. Honestly, it's not the cruise that worries us, it's getting from LA to Ft. Lauderdale, Ubering, overnighting, eating ashore, etc. that gave us pause. In fact, we cancelled our original Apex booking and switched to a Pacific Coastal cruise on Eclipse so we could sail out of LA (we live 25 minutes from the port). Unfortunately, Celebrity cancelled our cruise and seemingly took that ship out of service, so we rebooked our original Apex cruise and took a financial hit because the fare had gone up since our old booking, some months ago. 

Not to steal this thread, in December we sailed on Viking Orion and thought we were on a ghost ship, what with 270 pax out of a possible 930. Talk about social distancing. And great service. As another poster said, as occupancy goes, we'll never see times like this again. 

I sailed on NORWEGIAN BLISS out of LA to Mexico in late October.  Great cruise but the ship didn't compare to APEX.   It's been years since I've done a Mexico cruise so it was nice.  Also lived in LA for 15 years and it was fun to spend time there again too.  Living in Fort Lauderdale I usually just cruise right from my back yard and avoid the hassle of flying.  

Yes the secret is out regarding interior ship pics ... but I'm not worried.  I don't expect a slew of passengers staying on to take interior pics!  LOL.  For me ships are a hobby so I really like to capture them.  That is not the case for most people.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 9:26 PM, eroller said:

When I’m talking shows I’m really talking production shows. Yes they had a couple solo singers in Eden but they had those in the atrium as well, and I didn’t consider it a show.  Just musical entertainment.  There was a solo singer in the showlounge  Claire Maidin who is married to the Hotel Director.  She was accompanied by the 8-piece Celebrity orchestra. That really was a show, a true performance,  and a good one at that.  What I saw in Eden was basically a cocktail lounge singer.  Not a show.  Unfortunately none of those production shows you mentioned.  I would have loved to see them, and see Eden in that element. 

I am curious.  Is  Claire Maiden a pretty blond British singer?   If so, I remember her with her previous last name, and she was not married to the Hotel Director. She is wonderful.  I would love to see if she is going to be on any of my future cruises this year.

5 hours ago, chloe kitty said:

I am curious.  Is  Claire Maiden a pretty blond British singer?   If so, I remember her with her previous last name, and she was not married to the Hotel Director. She is wonderful.  I would love to see if she is going to be on any of my future cruises this year.

Yes she is. I’m pretty sure we are talking about the same person.