Formal, Gala or whatever they call them now.

Cruisemeister2002

Hi Everyone. Hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year. Got a cruise coming up soon and me and the wife have been discussing how many Formal, Gala or whatever nights there will be on our 35 night cruise to the Caribbean. She already has her dresses ready, but how many to take is proving a bit of a problem. I gladly don't have that problem as I have a black tux and a white tux and three formal/ Gala shirts which if necessary I will have laundered on the ship. P&O don't seem to give you any info. I have read that the Captains cocktail party now doesn't happen and that there is one formal in every 7 nights. This is where it becomes difficult because assuming no formal between Southampton and La Coruna we then have 6 days before Bermuda, then a day in between there and the Bahamas and from then on various one or two days until New Orleans and then none until leaving Cape Canaveral which has 6 sea days to Punta del Garda then a further 3 back to Southampton. Any ideas ?

8 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Hi Everyone. Hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year. Got a cruise coming up soon and me and the wife have been discussing how many Formal, Gala or whatever nights there will be on our 35 night cruise to the Caribbean. She already has her dresses ready, but how many to take is proving a bit of a problem. I gladly don't have that problem as I have a black tux and a white tux and three formal/ Gala shirts which if necessary I will have laundered on the ship. P&O don't seem to give you any info. I have read that the Captains cocktail party now doesn't happen and that there is one formal in every 7 nights. This is where it becomes difficult because assuming no formal between Southampton and La Coruna we then have 6 days before Bermuda, then a day in between there and the Bahamas and from then on various one or two days until New Orleans and then none until leaving Cape Canaveral which has 6 sea days to Punta del Garda then a further 3 back to Southampton. Any ideas ?

This thread should help you decide

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2821194-which-nights-are-formal/

Edited by yorkshirephil

1 hour ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

We were on Ventura in December.  We had three formals on that 12 night cruise.  People have posted that their cruise itineries were updated to show formal nights about two weeks before sailing, although that didn't happen with our December one.

Just got back from 28 nights on Azura. No info in Horizon about dress evenings like you used to get. We had 4 in the first 1.5 weeks. People were fed up. A lot less in the following weeks. No Peninsula evening and Captains welcome was done over the loudspeaker system instead of from a balcony overlooking the atrium. In fact the captain was conspicuous by his absence for the whole 28 nights. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pennib said:

Just got back from 28 nights on Azura. No info in Horizon about dress evenings like you used to get. We had 4 in the first 1.5 weeks. People were fed up. A lot less in the following weeks. No Peninsula evening and Captains welcome was done over the loudspeaker system instead of from a balcony overlooking the atrium. In fact the captain was conspicuous by his absence for the whole 28 nights. 

Apart from the hotel side of things, officers were a lot less conspicuous on our recent cruises.  I read somewhere that this has been done to reduce their chances of catching covid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Apart from the hotel side of things, officers were a lot less conspicuous on our recent cruises.  I read somewhere that this has been done to reduce their chances of catching covid.

Apparently regulations dictate minimum staffing numbers in some areas of the ship so they want to minimise the risk of not being allowed to sail.

Thinking of captains reception in the Atrium. Not possible in Iona/Arvia because the  atrium is filled with venues such as the Glass House and The Keel and Cow

• Like 1