Just off Koningsdam Jan 2-9 Mexican Riviera

gknep

We sailed last week in our first aft balcony cabin 8192 and have been converted. We loved the cabin. It is a little bigger than the standard balcony cabin with more room in the interior and a much deeper balcony. I was a little afraid there would be noise from the aft pool deck directly above us, but we heard nothing all week. There were only about 900 people aboard (according to the crew we spoke with) so no lines anywhere. Getting off and on the ship in ports and even getting a tender in Cabo was no issue. We were able to complete our COVID testing before flying to San Diego so the embarkation process was super smooth and fast. Those who did not get their test results or had tests cancelled had a much different experience (talked to a couple who waited more than 2 hours in line to get tested at the port). Some venues never opened during our cruise. The Panorama Bar and the Gelato stand were the ones I noticed the most. Not sure if that was a function of the small amount of passengers or the lack of crew due to COVID. Entertainment was also somewhat affected by COVID. The Rolling Stone Rock Room Band was a quintet until Wednesday when they became a trio. The BB King Blues Club band completely disappeared after Tuesday although their vocalist did make a guest appearance on Saturday night at a different show. One of the comedy shows was also cancelled. The Billboard Onboard piano duo was excellent and played every night of the cruise. Despite these shortcomings, it was still an excellent cruise. We made every port and the shore excursions we took went off without a hitch. We did the Salsa and Salsa in Mazatlan and the Yelapa and Majahuitas snorkel, beach, and waterfall hike in PV. Whales were abundant on the boat ride there and back including full breaches and multiple tails visible. The weather was phenomenal pretty much the whole time. We found the food to be excellent overall. The only subpar meal I had was in Canaletto which was my own fault for ordering something to new to see if I liked it (I did not). The cocktails were outstanding with Alan in the Ocean Bar making the best Old Fashioned at sea. The crew was very friendly and the service was excellent. They are currently not allowed off the ship and the ones we spoke to did admit that overall morale was a little low because of that. Masking was not too much of a problem. We wore them when we had to and took them off when drinking or eating. We live in Oregon so the mask rules on the ship were the same as the mask rules at home. Very glad to have been able to cruise even under the current conditions. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, gknep said:

Entertainment was also somewhat affected by COVID. The Rolling Stone Rock Room Band was a quintet until Wednesday when they became a trio. The BB King Blues Club band completely disappeared after Tuesday although their vocalist did make a guest appearance on Saturday night at a different show. One of the comedy shows was also cancelled. The Billboard Onboard piano duo was excellent and played every night of the cruise. Despite these shortcomings, it was still an excellent cruise. 

7 hours ago, gknep said:

I think our entertainment reductions were the result of positive COVID tests. 

I would be inclined to think the same thing. On our November cruise each group performed 6 nights and got one night off. Sounds like they were doing a lot of shuffling to keep everything running. Sorry to hear the crew and entertainment staff have been so affected. Glad you had a great cruise. I am very much looking forward to getting back onboard in March & am hoping that I am still able to go. 

• Like 1

also just got off the Koningsdam this past Sunday Jan 9 after 8 weeks onboard--56 days.. we were required to be Covid-tested every Saturday morning.. to say that the crew and staff was the best of the best is not giving all of them due credit.. Captain Henk and his senior staff including Hotel General Manager (HD) Santosch were outstanding.. every crew member that we encountered went out of their way for the passengers.. the last 3 weeks no crew had any shore leave... they still did their jobs knowing what was at stake trying to keep everyone including themselves safe from Covid.. hopefully everyone who cruises with HAL in the near future will try to follow the protocols onboard.. it is a must-do for everyone to adapt and follow the rules as best as they can in order to keep the ships out there and sailing..  again kudos to the crew and staff-- they were fantastic.. 🥰

btw we chose to do the 8 weeks onboard the Koningsdam going to the same ports after a number of our booked Hawaii and Tahiti South Pacific cruises were canceled on the Zuiderdam back in late Sept then in Nov and Dec for a variety of reasons before it was taken out of service..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1