Home country re-entry testing

So I received an email from Celebrity on January 6th, which dealt with a number of topics, but mainly Covid and testing. The part that I found concerning was the following:         "All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Details on testing registration will be provided onboard. Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked and paid in full prior to November 16, 2021.  For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee." This is a change from the policy they confirmed to me in writing last October, which was that they would pay for testing while onboard, for guests flying home the day of disembarkation. I find this to be an underhanded way of avoiding responsibility for any passengers who might test positive on the second last day of the cruise; in that scenario, Celebrity would be responsible for the guest under the "Cruise with Confidence" policy. Not to mention, I don't know if they can guarantee the results in time to allow me to board my flight (around noon), which not incidentally was booked via Flights by Celebrity. Now they want to test on shore, meaning the passenger is now the responsibility of the local authorities. Secondly, my cruise booked for February had a final payment date before November 16; Celebrity changed that date, and is now going to penalize me for their decision by charging me for the above mentioned test, which in all likelihood will not work for passengers in a similar situation as myself. Is it just me? Does this seem to be a poorly thought out policy change, or am I missing something here? Looking forward to comments...

35 minutes ago, Cruising from Mississauga said:

Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked and paid in full prior to November 16, 2021. 

As @AlbertaCruisers points out in the linked thread, the payment requirement has been dropped if you go by today's change to the website.

11 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As @AlbertaCruisers points out in the linked thread, the payment requirement has been dropped if you go by today's change to the website.

Thanks, Fouremco. I hadn't noted that change, but I do see that on the website now, as well as the additional statement regarding the third party vendor providing the tests. Which does not give me any comfort in terms of the timing for getting results in time to fly home that day; nor does it relieve my fears that this allows X to walk away from the commitments made under their Healthy at Sea policies.

• Like 2

Celebrity has changed its policies multiple times as the pandemic has developed.  If one is to cruise today they need to be patient and flexible.  I expect several policies to change again....and again, with Celebrity offering those effected the  choice to cancel their booking.

10 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Celebrity has changed its policies multiple times as the pandemic has developed.  If one is to cruise today they need to be patient and flexible.  I expect several policies to change again....and again, with Celebrity offering those effected the  choice to cancel their booking.

Part of the problem, however, is that policy changes frequently come after final payment and Celebrity will only offer FCC's, not a full refund. 

The policy changes have been nothing but "bait and switch exercises" in our opinion.  It's certainly been an eye opener for us.  "We'll promise this and that and you'll have nothing to worry about"......just to find out later...."Sorry, we've changed our minds".   

• Like 2