MSC Cruise from U.K. post-covid.

ConnieTact

I wondered if anyone else has cruised with MSC having tested positive for covid, after 14 days?

Both my husband and I tested positive and I am now end my isolation tomorrow and husband is back at work.

We are booked onto the Feb 1st Magnifica sailing from Southampton.

I called MSC in U.K. to see what would happen if we tested a false-positive to a PCR test and the call-handler was very blunt and told me adamantly that nobody testing positive would be allowed onboard. I explained we had been advised that a future PCR test may throw up a false positive result for 90 days post-covid. She went on to say we had to take a PCR within 48 hrs of sailing and if it was positive we would be denied boarding. 
She said that as it would be last minute we would lose our cruise fare and need to claim on our travel insurance. 
lt didn’t help that she was almost barking the words at me and this sounded rude.

There was no mention of the option to move the cruise date she just said if we cancelled we wouldn’t get any money back as it was too late.

I wondered if anyone else had experience of post covid cruising with MSC?

8 minutes ago, ChC said:

Until further notice, any positive (false positive or otherwise) test prior to cruise will result you being refused boarding. 

However, we all know MSC is terrible at updating their policies online. And their language is not clear at all (sometimes very confusing without clarity for their purpose). In above sense, they might mean passenger's Covid-19 protection insurance rather than theirs. So take this Q&A with a pinch of salt. So the agent might be right to 'bark' at you again. And if you are really worried, you can reschedule your cruise 15 days before your departure to a later date.

Thanks ChC.

That does clarify the position to me. I’m sure a lot of post-covid U.K. cruisers will get affected by that rule! We were warned it is likely to throw up false negatives and advised by NHS not to get further tests during this time.

I guess MSC are not interested in that and just want to stay extra safe. (Although I wonder if they are wait the full 90 days to accept their post-covid staff back onboard?)

If people really do throw up false positives for up to 90 days following recovery it does make this cruise a less attractive proposition.  

Also, thanks for clarifying that we should get the 15 days stress-free option.
I used this option already for our original January cruise and transferred it to another due in June. 
I wonder if we could attach our full payment for this cruise to ourJune one or if it would have to be a completely different booking?

The only other way I suppose is, to wait until the 48 hrs before for the PCR test results, to see if we can go or not! Then claim on insurance if not. Guess at least we can have cash back for something else.

21 minutes ago, kernow said:

Just seen on the other site that they have now cancelled Magnifica sailings until 8th Feb.

Kernow! Thank you so much! Fab info as usual.
Wouldn’t you have thought she may have told me that when I called?!?! 🤪

That’s that then! Hope I get my money back.

I must admit her attitude out me off MSC for now so just as well we have a bit of a break until next one. The next one is Yacht club so hope to get usual fab treatment.

Thanks again!

12 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

Kernow! Thank you so much! Fab info as usual.
Wouldn’t you have thought she may have told me that when I called?!?! 🤪

That’s that then! Hope I get my money back.

I must admit her attitude out me off MSC for now so just as well we have a bit of a break until next one. The next one is Yacht club so hope to get usual fab treatment.

Thanks again!

Sounds like they are very slow in telling people.We were originally meant to be on the 8th ourselves but have already changed it to Virtuosa in May. Think these Magnifica cruises have become a bit of a disaster for them.

I'm sure they will have to give you your money back now.

Just now, kernow said:

Sounds like they are very slow in telling people.We were originally meant to be on the 8th ourselves but have already changed it to Virtuosa in May. Think these Magnifica cruises have become a bit of a disaster for them.

I'm sure they will have to give you your money back now.

That’s good. 
We much prefer Virtuosa and are going in June. So we all have that to look forward to!

do they say ‘on the other site’ if they have been told by MSC or TA?

It doesn’t say anything on MSC site yet and can still be booked and checked in to!!

16 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

That’s good. 
We much prefer Virtuosa and are going in June. So we all have that to look forward to!

do they say ‘on the other site’ if they have been told by MSC or TA?

It doesn’t say anything on MSC site yet and can still be booked and checked in to!!

Sounds like some who were going on 18th have been told. Someone called and had it confirmed  they were told they are sending emails out. I think most people have not heard anything officially Apparently Magnifica is no longer showing in Southampton port schedule until 8th Feb so it sounds right.

39 minutes ago, kernow said:

Sounds like some who were going on 18th have been told. Someone called and had it confirmed  they were told they are sending emails out. I think most people have not heard anything officially Apparently Magnifica is no longer showing in Southampton port schedule until 8th Feb so it sounds right.

Something's wrong then as I can still book 25th January this evening (Tues 11th)

I'm already booked on that one but hoping for a cancelation TBH

2 minutes ago, Speedbird01 said:

Something's wrong then as I can still book 25th January this evening (Tues 11th)

I'm already booked on that one but hoping for a cancelation TBH

I'm just reporting what several people seem to have heard, guess we'll have to wait and find out officially if it's correct. It's on the book of faces, at least 2 Magnifica groups saying the same thing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Speedbird01 said:

@kernow

Thank you for that info so quickly as well, but we will have to wait to be told as we don't do any social media.

Mike

Hi Speedbird01 

We just received our letters regarding our cruise on 1st February:

“We are writing to you today in connection with your MSC Magnifica’s proposed Northern Europe cruise that was set to sail 01st February 2022.

As you will understand, the pandemic continues to lead to a range of challenges with the travel sector in many parts of the world and we are very sorry to say that we have been forced to further extend the temporary suspension of operations of MSC Magnifica and cancel her next three voyages, including your holiday at sea, because of port restrictions during her itinerary that have yet to be lifted.

These unfortunate restrictions would have, of course, led to the cancellation of many shore excursions at destinations that we know many of you wished to visit as they were the central element of this itinerary.

MSC Magnifica’s Northern Europe sailings will resume on 08th February 2022. If you would like to re-book another sailing now including MSC Magnifica Northern Pearls Itinerary, you will need to provide us with details before Tuesday 25th January 2022.

Please note you must call us on 0203 426 3010 to complete the cruise move by Tuesday 25th January 2022. 

Should you not proceed with a cruise move immediately, please be advised that we will issue new vouchers to you at the end of February 2022 that can be used to rebook, inclusive of MSC Virtuosa who is returning this Summer from the UK. Furthermore, the voucher will be issued with an additional benefit of a non-refundable on-board credit of €200.00 per cabin (€100.00 Single Occupancy) which will be applied to the new reservation once made.”

I hope this helps you if you didn’t!

• Like 1

Actually, I don’t understand the email entirely!

Are they saying, we can choose any sailing for no extra charge, if we choose it by 25th Jan? Or just on the Magnifica ones?

what do you think? 

I have written to ask but it would be good to know how you are reading it.

Also, anyone else who may have experience of being cancelled and offered similar by MSC may hopefully see this and comment.