taxi to Kahalu'u from cruise dock?

39august

I understand Kahalu'u is not far but wonder if taxis will be available and the what the approximate cost would be for 2. I have read that taxis in ports in Hawaii are not as readily available as in the Caribbean ports. We don't want to rent a car.

I understand Kahalu'u is not far but wonder if taxis will be available and the what the approximate cost would be for 2. I have read that taxis in ports in Hawaii are not as readily available as in the Caribbean ports. We don't want to rent a car.

Kahalu'u Beach Park is about 6 or 7 miles south on Ali'i Drive from the tender pier in Kailua-Kona. There are taxis, but you can also take the Ali'i Drive Shuttle (don't know the current fare but the phone number is 808-775-7121) and lately I've seen a "snorkel shuttle" van on Ali'i coming and going to the pier. I don't have any information on that, though, other than it does exist! Sorry!

You can actually walk to the Old Airport beach park from the pier (around a mile or so) and the snorkeling in Pawai Bay is pretty decent. There's also a very calm little bay and small sand beach in front of the King Kam hotel that you can use. It is right at the pier, to your left as you get off the tender.

Sometimes there is a welcoming booth at the pier (volunteer staffing so not always open) and they can give you more information on the shuttles, etc. if they are there. There's a tour desk in the King Kam hotel, too.

Archived