Rental Cars at Tampa Port?

Vaca2006

1. Are there any rental car locations at the Tampa port? We'll be on the Veendam returning to Tampa on 4/15. Our flight home is not until 8pm, so we'll have lots of time to play. I'd like to know whether I can get a car at the port and return it to the airport.

2. If I can't and must go to the airport to get a car, will I save much time taking a cab instead of a HAL transfer?

3. If I have to go to the airport, I'd like to check our luggage and get our boarding passes so that I don't have to allot time for those things at the end of the day. I've never checked in 10 hours before a flight; is there any reason I can't?

Thanks,

Lee

National told us they have a shuttle that will pick us up at the port and take us to the rental car pick-up location near the airport. Most other companies I checked did not offer this service.

Longduo

That's perfect! Do you need to call National upon disembarkation or will they be there waiting for you?

Thanks for the info.

Lee

We rented a car here in November from Avis. They did claim they would pick us up at the terminal, but then claimed I had to call 24 hours in advance to verify I would be there. Duh, I was on the ocean 24 hours in advance. We ended up taking a cab. It didn't take long and wasn't terribly expemsive. Hope that helps

Trisha

Hi Lee,

I called National at 1-800-227-7368 to make our reservation. We are staying in Florida for 10 days after our 2/25 Veendam cruise.

They told me that there may already be a National shuttle there when we get off the ship. If not, the special number to call for a shuttle from the port is

813-396-4140.

Just in case the direct number for the rental location at the airport is

813-396-4140.

We will not be home until March 15, but I'll try to respond and let you know how it works out since that is before you leave.

Also, in response to checking your luggage in 10 hours before your flight, many airlines will not take it that early. I'd call the airline to find out just in case. Since 9/11 lockers to store luggage are gone too.

Longduo

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lee,

Just returned from FL. Our cruise on the Veendam was great. We got off the ship at 9 am. A green and blue shuttle marked National/Alamo was waiting off to the right as we exited the terminal. It dropped some at the airport and got us to the rental location quickly. I hope it works as smoothly for you and any others who try it. A $2 tip for help with a little luggage was much less than a taxi.

Longduo

Archived