CruiseNext expiration extensions?

JillK

Hi all,

Can anyone here confirm that the CruiseNexts they had purchased prior to the pandemic have not been extended commensurate with the amount of time NCL was not operating in 2020/2021? 

I had given two to my parents who applied them to cruises NCL cancelled last week and my mom is saying they are back in her account with their original expiration dates. 

How were they supposed to be used when the cruise line wasn't operating and further, now that the cruise line has cancelled the cruises they had been applied to, why isn't there some consideration for extension? 

Thanks! 

Extension of Previously Issued Future Cruise Credits

To further support our guests, we have extended the "book by" date for previously issued FCCs. Any current and active Future Cruise Credits, CruiseNext certificates and CruiseFirst certificates originally set to expire in 2021 have been extended. The "book by" date for these credits and certificates is now December 31, 2022. Note all certificates will retain their Sail By dates, which is for sailings departing on or before December 31, 2022.

For example: FCCs issued in July 2020 had a book by date of July 2021. The new "book by" date is December 31, 2022.

Active coupon classes that have been extended include:

• Peace of Mind FCCs
  • Suspension Payment FCCs
  • Discount FCCs from previous suspensions
  • CruiseNext
  • CruiseFirst
  • All FCCs created as a result of ship incidents and goodwill gestures
  • Displacements
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's the response I received from my expiring Cruise Next Certificates -- expire date Dec 2022.

"Good day,

Just to clarify, we don’t change the expiry date on the certificates when we extend for a sailing past the expiry date. We are only extending the valid sail to date in order for it to be applied to the reservation. If you would like to wait until closer to the expiry date to book in order to see what happens with covid, then you do have until 12/28/2022 to book something in either 2023 or 2024. But we wouldn’t be changing the expiry date at any time, that stays the same (unless NCL decides to extend for all guests holding CNDs systematically).

If you make a reservation for 2024 and cancel it after the expiry date, the deposit(s) would be lost as they would be expired. However, you may move the sailing to a closer date as long as you are not in penalty and the deposit would stay on the existing reservation.

I hope this clears up any confusion you may have.

Best Regards,

CruiseNext-Kelly"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mine expire 1/31/22 -this month. NCL declined to extend them. I have them applied to the Joy 1/29 and was told I lose them if NCL cancels the sailing. I’ve had them applied to multiple other cruises that never sailed. 

Is it within their right to do so? Yes.  I still think it’s a poor decision. They sold them to me with four years and I have in good faith attempted to use them. The right thing to do would be to extend them or refund the amount paid if they won’t extend. I bought them for a service they’ve failed to provide and their inflexibility rubs me the wrong way from a customer service perspective. Besides, is keeping the $250 I paid for them in 2018 more important to NCL than me booking a cruise using them and giving them more money?

Sorry for the rant. Between this and the short window to use POM credit on cruises with overinflated prices the rest of this year, I’m not terribly happy with NCL right now. Other lines are giving way more flexibility and seem to be having fewer problems with cancellations on top of it. 

• Like 1

Ok thanks for this - my mom works directly with an agent at NCL so hopefully they will be able to use these for travel past their expiration this year as they are now looking at cruises next spring. 

At minimum their expiration should have been extended the same amount of time they weren't operating. 

The $250 CN they're not going to extend past 2022>>

I booked a 2week vacation for March a year ago, on a (bad) assumption this sh*t would be behind us; "oh, hey boss, I need to change that 2week vacay to this November"

Yeah, not in my world.  Not a chance I can get that kind of time off 'til next year by asking now.

But I'll have to PAY that $250 CN value for the next cruise, which means I'm OUT $125.

?!?!  *****?

Tried to use it THREE TIMES before it expired, but YOU DIDN"T SAIL!!!

F U  NCL.

(Can't wait to hear the "You took the risk/Terms were specific/Read T&C >>> thanks, don't bother)

1 hour ago, n4w said:

To further support our guests, we have extended the "book by" date for previously issued FCCs. Any current and active Future Cruise Credits, CruiseNext certificates and CruiseFirst certificates originally set to expire in 2021 have been extended. The "book by" date for these credits and certificates is now December 31, 2022. Note all certificates will retain their Sail By dates, which is for sailings departing on or before December 31, 2022.

For example: FCCs issued in July 2020 had a book by date of July 2021. The new "book by" date is December 31, 2022.

• Peace of Mind FCCs
  • CruiseNext
  • CruiseFirst
  • Displacements

Could you please direct me to the source of the above regarding the extension of FCCs expiring in 2021? I do not see anything about this or extensions of CruiseNext that were due to expire in 2021. Thanks!

Edited to say I did find that on NCL, BUT,  they have told several of us who used CruiseNext that expired on Dec. of 31 and were used on a cruise sailing in May that was cancelled by NCL that they would NOT extend them. Maybe that changed since we tried to get them re-deposited a few weeks ago.

Edited by macruise
Found some information
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, n4w said:

• Peace of Mind FCCs
  • CruiseNext
  • CruiseFirst
  • Displacements

N4W U R my best friend----Please tell me where you found this-  I hope to save my two certificates!   Thank you very much!!

1 hour ago, xcell said:

Here's the response I received from my expiring Cruise Next Certificates -- expire date Dec 2022.

"Good day,

Just to clarify, we don’t change the expiry date on the certificates when we extend for a sailing past the expiry date. We are only extending the valid sail to date in order for it to be applied to the reservation. If you would like to wait until closer to the expiry date to book in order to see what happens with covid, then you do have until 12/28/2022 to book something in either 2023 or 2024. But we wouldn’t be changing the expiry date at any time, that stays the same (unless NCL decides to extend for all guests holding CNDs systematically).

If you make a reservation for 2024 and cancel it after the expiry date, the deposit(s) would be lost as they would be expired. However, you may move the sailing to a closer date as long as you are not in penalty and the deposit would stay on the existing reservation.

I hope this clears up any confusion you may have.

Best Regards,

CruiseNext-Kelly"

Is there Really a Cruise Next Kelly??

3 hours ago, macruise said:

I notice that this looks like a Canadian site. I could not find anything similar on what I think is the non-Canadian site. 

Sorry all, I didn't even notice.  Good catch, eh? 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, n4w said:

• Peace of Mind FCCs
  • CruiseNext
  • CruiseFirst
  • Displacements

Thank you for posting this, however it is off topic.  The OP's question concerned extended expiration dates on Cruise Next Deposits, not Future Cruise Credits.  The Terms & Conditions for these two are significantly different.  To the best of my knowledge, NCL normally does not extend the expiration of CND, although they occasionally have extended FCC, especially on those issued for cruises cancelled during the pandemic.

11 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Thank you for posting this, however it is off topic.  The OP's question concerned extended expiration dates on Cruise Next Deposits, not Future Cruise Credits.  The Terms & Conditions for these two are significantly different.  To the best of my knowledge, NCL normally does not extend the expiration of CND, although they occasionally have extended FCC, especially on those issued for cruises cancelled during the pandemic.

If you read what the link says, you will see that this does include CruiseNext and CruiseFirst. It is confusing that they added those with the FCC conditions.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, n4w said:

Sorry all, I didn't even notice.  Good catch, eh? 😉

In the end, the people with the CruiseNext certificates did get them extended - even after NCL agents insisted it wasn't possible. Hope it works out for all. Good reason to call and call again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, macruise said:

If you read what the link says, you will see that this does include CruiseNext and CruiseFirst. It is confusing that they added those with the FCC conditions.

You're right, Cruise Next and Cruise First are similar in concept.  The main difference is that you can purchase CN only while on board a ship.  CF is a relatively new NCL offering.  As I recall, it only began after the pandemic caused a suspension of cruise sailings.  I suppose it was one way NCL thought that they could get some cash flow.  FCC is an entirely different animal, of course.

14 minutes ago, macruise said:

In the end, the people with the CruiseNext certificates did get them extended - even after NCL agents insisted it wasn't possible. Hope it works out for all. Good reason to call and call again.

Good to know.  I don't think I have encountered a fellow passenger who reported that his or her CNDs were extended, but it certainly is good news to learn that some have.  Prior to the Covid cruise shutdown, we cruised often and never let our CNDs sit idle for very long.  Probably the longest time I've ever had one "in my pocket" was six or eight months, at least that was true up until March 2020.  Now, with all the cancellations and re-bookings, I have some that are applied to a May 2022 cruise that will expire sometime in 2024 if the cruise is cancelled and I have to reapply them to some other future cruise.