Scattering of human remains at sea

luvs2beachit

I scattered my husband's ashes off the back of a boat, albeit much smaller than a cruise ship.  The ashes were a combination of dust and very small chunks.

Unfortunately, the cloud of dust blew right back into my face and I was brushing him out of my hair and spitting him out for an hour. I swear I could hear him laughing.......

My advice if you scatter ashes off a boat:  keep your mouth shut.

Here's a fun one:

I flew navy fighters back in the 90s. While out at sea aboard USS Independence, a package arrived in our ready room.  Inside was about a quart of ashes, double bagged in zip locked bags, and a note.  The ashes were a deceased naval aviator, and the note from his family requested that we, as fellow fighter bubbas, spread them into the ocean.

After some discussion and planning, we gave the bag to one of our maintenance CPOs.  On the catapult, going through final checks, one of our pilots opened his jet's speed brakes, and the Chief tossed the bag into the brake as it was closing.

The pilot gave that bag of bones a hell of a hop,  and when he came into the carrier break at 450 knots, he thumbed open his brakes, releasing the ashes in a big puff.

We all thought that was a pretty cool way to be scattered at sea.

Screenshot_20220213-001633_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 2