Joy Aft Haven Questions

mssandora

18 hours ago, vickyelse said:

Hi, it’s noted as aft on the map even though it opens on the side, because it’s still at the back of the boat—the last cabin before the ones that open to the back. The concierge did everything she could but the ship was full. 

It certainly is not the last cabin before the ones that open to the back. It might be considered in the aft third of the ship, but it's in the forward section of that third.

Glad to hear the concierge did everything they could and I guess if the ship was full than that's the reason for the lack of options. You didn't lose your Haven privileges did you? You retained full use of the concierge and butler and Haven courtyard?

We did not lose them even though we told them we wanted a clean downgrade so that we would be clearly eligible for a refund/credit on our cruise fares. They flatly refused to grant our request and as I suspected, are now using that as justification to offer us only a token credit. This is a known issue in the aft section of the ship, as discussed here, and NCL should disclose it during booking. Those who don’t have a problem with it will go ahead and book, and those who do will choose a different part of the ship. This was NCL’s responsibility but we are bearing the substantial cost.

Bummer that it was so disruptive to you.  We were on Joy's deck 12 in an aft facing cabin #12358 last month.  Any vibrations heard or felt were no bother.  We were on a 170,000 ton beast plowing across the ocean to get us to our next destination.  If I could find a "white noise" with the sounds of that I would play it every night. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vickyelse said:

We did not lose them even though we told them we wanted a clean downgrade so that we would be clearly eligible for a refund/credit on our cruise fares. They flatly refused to grant our request and as I suspected, are now using that as justification to offer us only a token credit. This is a known issue in the aft section of the ship, as discussed here, and NCL should disclose it during booking. Those who don’t have a problem with it will go ahead and book, and those who do will choose a different part of the ship. This was NCL’s responsibility but we are bearing the substantial cost.

If it's a known issue, then why didn't you discover this before the cruise and not book an aft room? 

I'm hardly a NCL cheerleader, but lordy, you're grasping at straws here. 

On 1/15/2022 at 9:21 AM, mssandora said:

I think I found the answer to the bed split on another board (the answer is no). But what about vibrations. (good or otherwise now I have Marky Mark in my head)

And having Marky Mark in your head is bad thing?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

And having Marky Mark in your head is bad thing?

oh my gosh! I haven't heard that song in forever...as I scroll to YouTube. Thank you!

Edited to add: my teenage self needed this music video! I only ever heard the song. Wow! 

Edited by cruiseny4life

21 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

If it's a known issue, then why didn't you discover this before the cruise and not book an aft room? 

I'm hardly a NCL cheerleader, but lordy, you're grasping at straws here. 

Known to NCL , obviously not to me! Don’t know why you want to invalidate my experience but that’s on you.

here’s the video showing the level of vibration in the room. Anyway I’m done with NCL.

1 hour ago, iluvthe-c said:

Bummer that it was so disruptive to you.  We were on Joy's deck 12 in an aft facing cabin #12358 last month.  Any vibrations heard or felt were no bother.  We were on a 170,000 ton beast plowing across the ocean to get us to our next destination.  If I could find a "white noise" with the sounds of that I would play it every night. 

That’s good, glad you had a good experience. We’ve been both midship and fore on our many past cruises so never faced this before.

On 4/12/2023 at 4:27 PM, vickyelse said:

To update on our situation in the noisy/shaking aft Haven on Norwegian Jade (room 14514), we were finally moved to a standard balcony room and able to sleep after 3 days. NCL has refused to refund the vast difference in cost between Haven and balcony, offering only a token amount. We therefore canceled two forthcoming NCL cruises and will not be sailing with them again.

That room is not aft. Not at all. Not even close. So even if they disclosed that 'aft rooms may suffer from extra vibrations and noise - please be mindful when selecting these cabins if you are sensitive to those things' - the room you were in wouldn't even come close to qualifying for that disclaimer.

image.png.9ac7dd5a7c114eea824e25f286d8a0cf.png

When doing a new booking, NCL website refers to that cabin as mid-ship, which it 100% is. So not sure where you're thinking it's aft. Just because South Dakota is more southern than North Dakota doesn't mean it's located in "the south". 

image.png.5211756c21481968e879e8f598c8bc41.png

For comparison, here's the middle and aft elevators on that ship - the ones in the photo above are the forward elevators. So to call that an 'aft' room is insanity.

image.thumb.png.e357dc551a50ed8fa6670e3eb4f2ad5d.png

Even if you're not in a Haven room now, you still have all the access and perks of being a Haven guest. 90% of people pick Haven for the perks, not the specific room itself. So not sure why you feel you deserve substantial cost back to you for now having access to 2 cabins during your trip and still have access to Haven.

Our cruise last September I caught Covid and my husband had to downgrade to a standard balcony room in order to not be in lockdown with me. So he paid Haven prices, but had to be in a regular balcony room. We didn't ask for a dime back, because he still had access to all the Haven amenities despite being in a non-Haven room.

If you're done with NCL because you chose to try Haven and had buyers remorse, and they wouldn't refund you to downgrade because you didn't like what you spent your money on - well, that's your choice. But in total honesty, it is coming across simply as you having buyers remorse and trying to find a way to get a refund for not eating the full meal after you chose to super size it and now want that $2.50 back for uneaten french fries.

For every person that says the aft in general has too much noise for them, there's 2 other people who will cat fight to have one of those rooms and love them. But that first room was not aft - sorry, but it's not. If that room was too shaky for you I would hate to see what you would say about a real aft cabin.

• Thanks 1