MSC Upgrade offer, only first two passengers pay, but three of us in current room, we will all move to new room.

defbref

I'm on the Grandiosa in April and have just received the upgrade offer email, I have never upgraded previously so never looked at the offer.

As this is for my 50th birthday I'm considering upgrading, we currently have a room with me and my two kids in (12 and 14) and the offer says it based on two people sharing and only the first two guests will be charged. Does that mean its ok for me to bid and only pay the upgrade price for two of us despite three of us moving to the new room (assuming we win that is) or can I not bid because I need a room for 3 ?

We chose not to do the upgrade offer. YC interior to YC balcony which was $640 per person minimum bid. 

Once I boarded, I inquired about the upgrade and we were offered (and accepted) the upgrade for €448. Much better deal!

Not sure of anyone else's experience with this - certainly the capacity would make a difference and it is pretty light right now. 

Sorry, not your question, but wanted to throw it out there as a potential option for you.

• Thanks 1

That's how it works on Royal Caribbean, and they use the same company to manage upgrade offers so I think you'd be all set. They want to keep the upgrade bids reasonable because the costs add up really quickly if they charge it for more than the first two people. It's in their best interest to get some money out of you rather than nothing because it becomes too much. (Otherwise it would be cheaper to just have booked a balcony to begin with!)

On 1/16/2022 at 7:53 AM, tweakes said:

We chose not to do the upgrade offer. YC interior to YC balcony which was $640 per person minimum bid. 

Once I boarded, I inquired about the upgrade and we were offered (and accepted) the upgrade for €448. Much better deal!

Not sure of anyone else's experience with this - certainly the capacity would make a difference and it is pretty light right now. 

Sorry, not your question, but wanted to throw it out there as a potential option for you.

Who did you ask?  I would love to try this next cruise. Did you go to the regular service desk?  Was that 448 pounds total or each?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ddlb said:

Who did you ask?  I would love to try this next cruise. Did you go to the regular service desk?  Was that 448 pounds total or each?

It would be Euros, not Pounds Sterling.  However, he was on a sailing originating outside of the US.  With CDC guidelines, some people are reporting that last minute or on ship  upgrades are not available.  Still worth a try, I suppose.

9 minutes ago, JAGR said:

It would be Euros, not Pounds Sterling.  However, he was on a sailing originating outside of the US.  With CDC guidelines, some people are reporting that last minute or on ship  upgrades are not available.  Still worth a try, I suppose.

Whoops 😬€ 

3 hours ago, ddlb said:

When in Yacht Club, the YC Concierge is your 'service desk'. 😉