Best beach to visit to avoid cruise ship crowds

GaTechCruiser

We will be in St. Thomas the first week of April, 2022.  As of today there are 7 cruise ships on the schedule to be in St. Thomas on the day we are scheduled to be there.  We have been on so many cruises, but surprisingly we have never been to St. Thomas.

We will be docked at Crown Bay

Right now (of course subject to change) we will be in port from 11 am - 7pm

We have two daughters, 15 and 9.  

Since there are options to go snorkling from the beach either in St. Thomas or St. John, we are considering snorkling at this port (we are not comfortable snorkling with our children from a boat anchored not at shore)

I have started researching beach options and since there are so many, and of course some will be more crowded, I wanted to get some opinions from fellow cruisers as to which beaches I should consider (and not consider) for our day at St. Thomas.

Black Beard's Castle, 99 steps and the Ft. Christian museum also look like options to include in our day.  We are not interested in shopping, and since we do not have to spend "all day" at the beach, wanting to find out if a good option to check out these locations and then go to beach later in the afternoon.

Always appreciate the advice and information on these forums!

Edited by GaTechCruiser

Well, unfortunately an answer to your real question will not be the same as an answer to your title…Just very hard to avoid your fellow cruisers with so many in port…And 11 - 7 can make it hard to enjoy any snorkeling beach…

Having said that, if at least some of the other ships depart by 3 or 4, your thought of going to the beach to snorkel after sightseeing may be a good idea…😄

We’re not avid snorkelers, but Sapphire would be our choice. Mainly because there is a coral area as well as a sea grass area, and space to find a nice spot on the beach. I’m afraid Coki and Secret Harbor would still be crowded…Brewer’s Bay is an option but I don’t know the snorkeling situation there. And I would not go to STJ; That adds another 2 - 2.5 hrs of travel time, and the best snorkel spots are further away than most day visitors venture.

Question? Do you need to rent snorkel gear? And are you looking for a beach with restrooms, lounges and food?

On 1/16/2022 at 11:17 PM, blue_water said:

We’re not avid snorkelers, but Sapphire would be our choice. 

We are thinking of Sapphire Beach. 

Can you tell me if there is a place to rent chairs and an umbrella?

And do we just tell the taxi driver Sapphire Beach?

Chairs yes, umbrellas no because there are shaded areas way from the busy spot.

Yes just hop a shared safari taxi heading to Sapphire, the taxi coordinator and drivers are very experienced at getting folks in the right taxis. Fare is $10 $11/pp each way, and taxis will show up throughout the day to return you to the ship…

Hands down recommend Magen’s Bay Beach. 

Check out Trip Advisor and can see why recommend. Nice white sand, clear calm turquoise water, facilities, food and chair/raft rentals. Also when we were there had a marked off “snorkel trail” right off beach shore and a 15-20min ride. We have done Saphire and ride much longer, rocky terrain in water, and need to not touch trees marked with white as poisonous but that was a decade ago. 

For Megans we usually got off ship asap, then hired our own taxi or one of those wooden trolley shuttles. Ask though before getting in a vehicle the rate, and how long before leaving. Some want to sit & wait until trolley is full.  So private taxi vs cheap rate depends on how much value your time. 15-20min. length to get there.

It is a National park, so bring lots of singles to pay $5 cash/ person for beach entrance (age 12 and under is free though) Also bring cash if want drinks, raft/chair rentals etc. We prefer bringing our own spring type raft that inflates around the edge I think Swimway brand. Never rented a chair, too hard to drag down beach. The beach is usually not crowded way down to left. Although snorkel trail is on right side as arrive. We usually left around lunch hour leaving plenty of time go to ship,clean up,eat and shop. 

We never felt unsafe there either as requires entrance fees. However did wear a waterproof wallet for phone & id, cash. I have seen bags that are cut proof and can lock to a tree etc. if doing a lot of beaches. 

• Thanks 1

Yes Mages Bay is mostly sandy bottom and very calm, popular for families. That and Trunk Bay are the most touted beaches by cruise directors. Sapphire is a much better snorkeling destination with a coral area and a sea grass area and just a naturally beautiful bay. Both are great beaches, just depends on what you are looking for?

I think by “wooden trolley shuttles” you mean the safari taxis? Depending on your port the ride to Sapphire is no different that to Magens.

Thank you - We will be docked at Crown Bay

Definitley need restrooms!  We will eat an early lunch on the ship and maybe by after lunch Megan's Bay or Sapphire will be less crowded.  We do not have to snorkle, my husband does not want to do it, but I know my two girls and I would enjoy it.  Any snorkling we do, will have to be not too far from the shore and not in rough waters.  

@blue_water - I grew up on the western part of the Fingers Lakes 🙂 - very close to Conesus Lake

We went to Lindquist Beach in January of 2020, I assume it is still there. We took a taxi from the port, I don't remember the price but it was reasonable. The beach and water were gorgeous, not crowded at all. There are bathrooms but no food sales. We would definitely go back.

We will be there 2/15/22 from 11-7. We are thinking either Megan's bay or catching the water taxi to Water Island and do Honeymoon beach. Any suggestions about those two? We are arriving at Havensight so any tips on getting to the water taxi?

On 1/24/2022 at 7:19 PM, GaTechCruiser said:

Thank you - We will be docked at Crown Bay

Definitley need restrooms!  We will eat an early lunch on the ship and maybe by after lunch Megan's Bay or Sapphire will be less crowded.  We do not have to snorkle, my husband does not want to do it, but I know my two girls and I would enjoy it.  Any snorkling we do, will have to be not too far from the shore and not in rough waters.  

@blue_water - I grew up on the western part of the Fingers Lakes 🙂 - very close to Conesus Lake

Yes I know the area, beautiful!

For snorkeling off shore you have a few options.

Coki is very popular with lots of fish not far off shore, but the beach is smaller and quite crowded early afternoon with multiple ships in port. Vendors renting lounges and selling food and drink.

Sapphire has coral and sea grass not far off shore, the water can be rough depending on conditions that day. Beach bar with a rental outfit.

Secret Harbor is the calmest of the 3 and you can find a snorkel spot, nice restaurant on site. If going after 9AM I would reserve lounges and umbrellas through AADivers as they will likely be gone before you arrive. Read their cancellation policy…
https://www.aadivers.com/

Taxi fare to all will be ~ $11/pp each way…

Edited by blue_water
Typo

Coki beach would be great for you.  Chair and umbrella rental and food and beverages available. Plan to be off the beach by 4:30 ish or cover yourself in bug repellent.  That’s when the no see ‘‘em bugs start their attack

Edited by emerisland

3 hours ago, emerisland said:

Coki beach would be great for you.  Chair and umbrella rental and food and beverages available. Plan to be off the beach by 4:30 ish or cover yourself in bug repellent.  That’s when the no see ‘‘em bugs start their attack

As on any beach…

When making plans ahead you want to look at how many fellow cruisers will be looking for the same beach and amenities…Especially if lots of ships are in port, and you are heading out late…Coki can be a great choice or a huge disappointment depending…

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...