Upgrading to streaming internet. Is it necessary?

Ken the cruiser

11 hours ago, drwbrt said:

Oh, I forgot. One big issue we had with the internet.

Being on WiFi made our devices look like they were in Panama City. It also caused problems with our phones, and Apple Watches, keeping ship time. Add in the time change from LA to Cabo and it was a confusing five days.

It was so confusing, in fact, that our safety window for returning to the ship was shaved down to an uncomfortable level. A stupid simple Casio watch may be a nice edition to the packing list.

Thanks for the tip.  I just added a <$20 snorkeling- friendly digital watch to my shopping list. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 9:57 PM, ktpc2005 said:

Is the regular internet OK if you want to listen to music on apps like Spotify or SirusXM?

No. I can't stream no audio at all ... not even a podcast or news audio. Plus, many streaming music services will not work outside the US because of licensing deals.

Download any tunes you'd like to your phone. I have a bunch of instrumental jazz for background, but am sorry I deleted most of the rest of my music files!

Audiobooks will work if they're preloaded.

• Like 1

My question is: How do you connect to the ships Wifi? Like if you want to text back home while in port and need the ships Wifi to do that.....how do you do that without using your Internet minutes...or do you have to use them?  I am a bit confused about connecting to the ships Wifi. 

39 minutes ago, uneamie said:

My question is: How do you connect to the ships Wifi? Like if you want to text back home while in port and need the ships Wifi to do that.....how do you do that without using your Internet minutes...or do you have to use them?  I am a bit confused about connecting to the ships Wifi. 

Normal SMS texting will not work over Wi-Fi either on the ship or at home, you need a cell signal to do that.  However I know that the iPhone iMessage works over Wi-Fi.  You don't even need to be signed into an internet account on the ship, just make sure you are connected to the ships free Wi-Fi.  I don't remember if you can send pictures like that with iMessage but you can send a regular text.

There maybe other texting type app's that work that way too, maybe someone else knows?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RadioPeri said:

No. I can't stream no audio at all ... not even a podcast or news audio. Plus, many streaming music services will not work outside the US because of licensing deals.

Download any tunes you'd like to your phone. I have a bunch of instrumental jazz for background, but am sorry I deleted most of the rest of my music files!

Audiobooks will work if they're preloaded.

I do something similar.  I have an old iPhone set on airplane mode, loaded with music and podcasts, and a small Bluetooth speaker I bring on trips.  It's nice to have some music playing sometimes when in your room or enjoying the view from the balcony.  I also bring ear buds and headphones so I can listen on the plane or at a beach.

• Like 1

I was traveling with @drwbrt last week on the Bliss. My kids never connected to the internet. All four of us were in Apple devices. All of us could message reliably on iMessage. My brother and I could send and receive media between each other and to people with iMessage on land. My boys could not receive multimedia in iMessage with just ship WiFi. 

While I’m port on the first day, we were waiting for muster to begin and our phones and internet were in limbo and nothing was working well. I set up the NCL messaging package ($9.95/person). It was a good system … that we never used because we could rely on iMessage. If you are Apple people, rely on ship WiFi. If you aren’t, the ship messaging program might be right for you. 

13 minutes ago, jimsig said:

However I know that the iPhone iMessage works over Wi-Fi.  You don't even need to be signed into an internet account on the ship, just make sure you are connected to the ships free Wi-Fi.  I don't remember if you can send pictures like that with iMessage but you can send a regular text.

Our whole family has iPhones and this sounds great if we do not have use Wi-Fi minutes to touch base at home with family…Going on the Gem next month….. Just wondering if you could kind enough to share how to text from our iPhone on board, to someone’s iPhone at home, not logging into NCL Wi-Fi. Would be great to save a few minutes!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Mrdell said:

Our whole family has iPhones and this sounds great if we do not have use Wi-Fi minutes to touch base at home with family…Going on the Gem next month….. Just wondering if you could kind enough to share how to text from our iPhone on board, to someone’s iPhone at home, not logging into NCL Wi-Fi. Would be great to save a few minutes!

When on the ship, if you are using minutes, you can login to your minutes by going to login.com on your browser. When you are done, log off or go to logoutnow.com on your browser. 

When you just want to iMessage, be logged off but connected to your ship’s Wi-Fi while in airplane mode. It will work the same for iMessage on the ship and to people off the ship. If you do not have internet connection, only text will work. No photos. 

3C807FC9-8A46-49E7-8421-6121581E7FC8.png

Edited by New2cruise2022

On 1/28/2023 at 8:38 AM, farmecologist said:

So It seems the "streaming" internet only blocks specific sites.  Therefore, I think our "cat cam" will work.  👍

On 1/28/2023 at 8:38 AM, farmecologist said:

I haven't seen much information on *what* kind of streaming NCL blocks...just major streaming sites...or ALL video streams?  

Reason why I'm asking is we have a video camera that will monitor our cats while we are away...haha.  It does send "video".  However,  I'm not sure NCL would catch this instance...since it is very low bandwidth, etc... Any ideas?

Edit : I think I found my own answer...from NCL's site :

Premium Internet "The package also gives you streaming options via YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Audible, Hulu, Tik Tok etc."  

So It seems the "streaming" internet only blocks specific sites.  Therefore, I think our "cat cam" will work.  👍

We have Wyze cameras inside and outside our house mainly to see what our three dogs are doing.  I was able to connect to the cameras in Dec on the Jewel with basic internet.  Because the ship internet is so slow I did knock the resolution down on the cameras in the app. 
On another note - the internet on the ship is strange.  I'd be connected to the ship's wifi, but NOT connected to the internet and would get notifications on my phone.  I would get notifications from the Wyze cameras and the garage door.  I couldn't react to those notifications but I still got them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

When on the ship, if you are using minutes, you can login to your minutes by going to login.com on your browser. When you are done, log off or go to log off.com on your browser. 

When you just want to iMessage, be logged off but connected to your ship’s Wi-Fi while in airplane mode. It will work the same for iMessage on the ship and to people off the ship. If you do not have internet connection, only text will work. No photos. 

Great!! Thanks so much for your tutorial 🙂 …. This should work out great to send a quick “hello “ text to family and grandchildren when away on board. …. We do have 150 minutes each of internet but not so sure how far it will go on an 11 day cruise. When on the islands we are going to take advantage of Verizon travel pass… $10.00 for a 24 hour period.

2 minutes ago, Megamixer said:

We have Wyze cameras inside and outside our house mainly to see what our three dogs are doing.  I was able to connect to the cameras in Dec on the Jewel with basic internet.  Because the ship internet is so slow I did knock the resolution down on the cameras in the app. 
On another note - the internet on the ship is strange.  I'd be connected to the ship's wifi, but NOT connected to the internet and would get notifications on my phone.  I would get notifications from the Wyze cameras and the garage door.  I couldn't react to those notifications but I still got them.

Good, so based on my research and your response, my "cat cam" camera should work fine. 👍

However, we are considering upgrading to unlimited internet for one account...and leave the other one as the basic "frea at sea" minutes.

• Like 1

@Mrdell last year on the Pearl we found that the free Wi-Fi connection would get disconnected every

now and then. Not sure if it was the Wi-Fi or the phone disconnecting if you know what I mean.  So be sure to occasion to check to make sure you are still connected to the system.  

3 minutes ago, jimsig said:

@Mrdell last year on the Pearl we found that the free Wi-Fi connection would get disconnected every

now and then. Not sure if it was the Wi-Fi or the phone disconnecting if you know what I mean.  So be sure to occasion to check to make sure you are still connected to the system.  

I experienced this as well. But when you notice you are disconnected, toggle your Wi-Fi off and back on, click on your ship’s Wi-Fi. Once connected, return to the login page and refresh. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I experienced this as well. But when you notice you are disconnected, toggle your Wi-Fi off and back on, click on your ship’s Wi-Fi. Once connected, return to the login page and refresh. 

I noticed it when I was waiting for a text from my daughter.  She had left our room and was going to text me in about 5 min.  After 10 I looked at my phone and realized it was not connected.  

1 hour ago, jimsig said:

Thank you so much for the heads up! I will definitely keep an eye out for connectivity! So many helpful suggestions… I really appreciate everyone’s input!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

When on the ship, if you are using minutes, you can login to your minutes by going to login.com on your browser. When you are done, log off or go to logoutnow.com on your browser. 

So....my question is: how do I connect to the ship"s FREE wifi? How will I know I am connected? I have an Iphone and Imessage and my son at home will be receiving the text on his Iphone. Do I have to sign into my "free Internet" minutes to get connected to the free wifi? ....Im confused. 

Edited by uneamie

2 minutes ago, uneamie said:

So....my question is: how do I connect to the ship"s FREE wifi? How will I know I am connected? I have an Iphone and Imessage and my son at home will be receiving the text on his Iphone. Do I have to sign into my "free Internet" minutes to get connected to the free wifi? ....Im confused. 

Your confusion is not misplaced.  Its hard to describe sometime. There are two steps:

1. Connecting to the WiFi network: This is like connecting to your home network of the network at Starbucks. This happens somewhere in the device settings. Doing this DOES not incurr any charges and will allow for something like the free iMessaging.

2. To connect to the ship's paid internet you would need to open the browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc.). A website is provided in the NCL app, in the Freestyle Daily, and located in information posted on the ship. This will require you to register, accept the terms and conditions, and confirm the start of your minutes.

1 is the "free internet": iMessaging, NCL.com, almost nothing else.

2 is the "paid internet".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, drwbrt said:

Your confusion is not misplaced.  Its hard to describe sometime. There are two steps:

1. Connecting to the WiFi network: This is like connecting to your home network of the network at Starbucks. This happens somewhere in the device settings. Doing this DOES not incurr any charges and will allow for something like the free iMessaging.

2. To connect to the ship's paid internet you would need to open the browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc.). A website is provided in the NCL app, in the Freestyle Daily, and located in information posted on the ship. This will require you to register, accept the terms and conditions, and confirm the start of your minutes.

1 is the "free internet": iMessaging, NCL.com, almost nothing else.

2 is the "paid internet".

Great description....thank so much!  Just one more: While using this "free wifi" and Imessage, will I be able to text my son at home and him text me back? And will it work while at sea or do I have to be in port?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, uneamie said:

Great description....thank so much!  Just one more: While using this "free wifi" and Imessage, will I be able to text my son at home and him text me back? And will it work while at sea or do I have to be in port?  

Our experience on Bliss last week was yes. iMessage worked to any other iPhone that was also using iMessage (blue messages). Text messages (green messages) will not work. This was both at sea and in port.

• Like 2

Just now, drwbrt said:

Our experience on Bliss last week was yes. iMessage worked to any other iPhone that was also using iMessage (blue messages). Text messages (green messages) will not work. This was both at sea and in port.

Thank you....my son is caring for my diabled brother while we are away and I was nervous to not have any connection with him while at sea. Now I can relax. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 8:39 PM, SunshineGal2022 said:

If you upgrade to FAS+, you would get 2 unlimited Internet logins, the Premium drinks, Starbucks, and the excursion credit. You could give him one login and keep the other for yourself. 

Messaging children back home is why I would get Internet too.  Some people say they are able to have video chats on the unlimited plan, but they use apps that are not the big social media apps.  

We will not do FAS+ -- not worth it for us. My husband doesn't drink and he hates Starbucks. While I do drink, we have enough onboard credit to cover anything that isn't on the regular drink package. In all of our cruises, we've only done one ship excursion -- so the excursion credit is a complete waste to us. And we also don't use all of our specialty dinners -- especially on the Epic. At this point anything we upgrade will be a la carte.