Using OBC to Pay Tips?

Tralfie

I'll be sailing in the Haven for the first time in March. I'm going to have a fair amount of OBC and was told it might be possible to use some of that toward tipping my butler, concierge, etc. Wondering... how do you go about doing that? Anybody done it can give me a clue? 

As always, thanks in advance! 

24 minutes ago, Tralfie said:

I'll be sailing in the Haven for the first time in March. I'm going to have a fair amount of OBC and was told it might be possible to use some of that toward tipping my butler, concierge, etc. Wondering... how do you go about doing that? Anybody done it can give me a clue? 

Not sure how you would tip the butler or concierge with OBC, but offering an additional tip to a waiter would be easy.  Just add it to the receipt you receive during dinner and it will be charged to your on board account.

31 minutes ago, Tralfie said:

Wondering... how do you go about doing that?

You can do it at Guest Services. Give them the name and the amount and they will give you a receipt with the name and the amount which you can give to your butler or concierge. 

Whether or not the butler or concierge actually receives that amount is between them and NCL just as when you tip at a restaurant, you don't know how much of it actually goes to the waiter/waitress.  

36 minutes ago, Tralfie said:

If it is REFUNDABLE OBC (from your TA, for example) you can do that.  The Concierge can arrange it.

If it is NONREFUNDABLE OBC (from NCL) it cannot be used for gratuities.  We tried that last month and they said "No can do."

• Like 3

I don't know if they still allow this, but on our last cruise (March 2019) I went to guest services and asked them to add the tips for the butler, concierge and steward to their on-board accounts, using refundable OBC from our TA. I wrote a thank you note to each, to thank them, and telling them about their tips in their accounts.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, suometar said:

I don't know if they still allow this, but on our last cruise (March 2019) I went to guest services and asked them to add the tips for the butler, concierge and steward to their on-board accounts, using refundable OBC from our TA. I wrote a thank you note to each, to thank them, and telling them about their tips in their accounts.

The rule changed about that time.  Before you could use non.  However, I cruised about that time also.  Based on past times, I went to Customer Service and without asking, filled out gift certificates for butler and Concierge, making an assumption it could be used.  Ended up it being added to my credit card account.  Ended up losing about $75 left behind on my non refundable account.  Wrote NCL. They said sorry, but the rules had changed and I was out of luck.     Ooops, I see you were using refundable.  Yea, that's fine.  Not the non though.  

Edited by roger001
  • Like 2