Mariner Numbers

NORTHSHOREPAIR

How long after your first cruise do you receive your Mariner number? We cruised 1/21-1/28 and we've yet to receive it. I contacted HAL by email last week and was told it would be sent out shortly.

Does the mariner number really give you a cruise discount? If you buy stock how much of a discount do you get?

It will likely take a few weeks to get your Mariner number. You'll soon get e-mail or snail mail that will have the number on it. You can also go on HAL's website and look it up. Discounts for Mariners are minimal.

I don't own stock in the company, so someone else will need to answer that for you. I do know you have to own a mininimum number of shares.

I have been a Mariner for most of my life. First of all you do get a discount on some sailings. Just like any vacation if you don't go during peak times you get better discounts. Peak times would be in the summer to Alaska and during the winter holidays for the children to the Carribbean. Usually HAL will send you their newsletter or other mailings telling about specials that they will have on different cruises.

As for the stock options I don't think you get anything special about that. HAL is not on the stock market remember, HAL is owned by Carinival corparation and is traded under their symbol. If you wanted stock in HAL you would have to buy it under the umbrella of CCL. Not that I am a stock market buff but to save your money I would stay away from the travel sections. There are many things that can have negative effects on the travel market than other sectors of the stock market. Keep your money, put it in sound investments and you will cruise many more voyages.

It does take awhile for HAL to send out the Mariner numbers for passengers who have completed their first sailings.

We own Carnival stock - the only perk is the shipboard credit - no discounts.

On back-to-back cruises we use Carnival stock for shipboard credit for one segment and AMEX Plat for shipboard credit for the second segment.

I honestly have seen no financial benefit in being a Mariner. I have checked the HAL website for pricing both with, and without, and seen no difference. And as for the special promotions, as in the Mariner Magazine, you can still do much better using many online ta's.

Disclaimer: this has been my personal experience. Anyone else who has had a different experience, please feel to let me know. susana.

As a Mariner, I get some very beautifully printed brochures (such as the one which arrived yesterday for South America, Amazon and Antarctica) for cruises which I couldn't afford if I robbed a bank.

I also get a "Welcome back!" when I board. There is an exclusive reception for the Mariners during the cruise, attended by 1,200 of the 1,300 people onboard. Also, there is a Mariner's discount, but I don't know how that works; I let my TA handle that.

What's really nice is being recognized by the staff! "Ah, sir," said Luckman, "You are Mr. Tom, the writer. Welcome back!"

Archived