1970's map of Naval Air Station Bermuda?

PaperSniper4

I was with a USN VP squadron which deployed to Bermuda in the early 1970s. We have a Celebrity cruise booked to Bermuda July 2022 and I'd like to try to find some of the places on the base to see the changes. I'm sure there are many since the base has been gone since the 1990s! If anyone has a map of the base I'd appreciate a link. I've been searching on the internet in vain. I am particularly looking for the location of the hangars, the VP office spaces and BOQ buildings.

When we get there this summer we plan to rent an e-car and tour the island, and the former NAS will be one of our major places to see. My wife and I rented a house in St George, but I have no idea where that was unfortunately. We might wander around just to see if anything looks familiar.

Thanks

Doug

retired USN since 1994.

1 hour ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I was with a USN VP squadron which deployed to Bermuda in the early 1970s. We have a Celebrity cruise booked to Bermuda July 2022 and I'd like to try to find some of the places on the base to see the changes. I'm sure there are many since the base has been gone since the 1990s! If anyone has a map of the base I'd appreciate a link. I've been searching on the internet in vain. I am particularly looking for the location of the hangars, the VP office spaces and BOQ buildings.

The location of the base has been turned into the Bermuda International Airport. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, philpcruiser said:

You may want to try go ogling a website that has old aerial photos.  Don't know if Bermuda will be covered, but it may be worth a try.  In the US, the site might be "historic aerials ".

Been trying that, not much luck. There are a few aerial photos, but none in which I can pick out the landmarks I want. If I could fine just one (officer's club, BOQ, NEX, etc) I could likely find the others. The topology won't have changed...at least much....so I think once I'm there I could figure out the location of the places where I worked and slept all those years ago.

9 minutes ago, philpcruiser said:

Maybe try contacting a library in Bermuda?  Maybe they would have an old map from the '60's or '70''s they could scan and send to you.?

That's a possibility. I may resort to that, or I may just decide to try to find them when we're actually there.

On 1/23/2022 at 10:36 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

We might wander around just to see if anything looks familiar.

As Charles mentioned, the site is now the location of the LF Wade International Airport-- the entire property will be off limits in terms of wandering around. It' also been extensively redone with a new terminal opening in 2020. 

There are a few fragments left, including an original runway that has been only partially demolished, but very little of the NAS still exists and what does will be behind airport security barriers and inaccessible. 

9 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

As Charles mentioned, the site is now the location of the LF Wade International Airport-- the entire property will be off limits in terms of wandering around. It' also been extensively redone with a new terminal opening in 2020. 

There are a few fragments left, including an original runway that has been only partially demolished, but very little of the NAS still exists and what does will be behind airport security barriers and inaccessible. 

I knew it was now an airport, but figured I could find my old barracks and a few of the other buildings. Sounds like not, dang it. Oh well, I am still going to try to look around as much as I can, most probably totally in vain. I wish I knew our old address for the house we rented in St George. That would be fun, but neither of us have any idea where it was....that was about 50 years ago!😳

Doug