Ottawa Layover - Timing

ALD18

Upcoming cruise in May out of New Jersey.  Had to book flight from Toronto Pearson to Ottawa with a 2 hour layover and then on to Newark day before cruise.  Suspected we would exit Ottawa arrival gate from Toronto and go directly to departure gate for Newark.  Not so due to Canadian arrival and US final destination.  Appears we have to depart the arrival area, check in with Air Canada, go through customs, security, and obvious COVID protocols to enter US.  Concerned 2 hours may be cutting it close.  Anyone been through the connector flight process in Ottawa?  Suspect lower passenger volume in Ottawa should make for faster processing time.   Thanks for help. 

As an Ottawa resident who flies out of our airport regularly, I'd say that 2 hours is enough on most days, but certainly not all. The day of the week and time of day can have a big influence, both for checking in with Air Canada and going through pre-clearance. Also, I'm wondering if you will actually have to check in at Air Canada, as they should be able to give you both boarding passes in Toronto.

But the bigger question I have is why fly through Ottawa? There are hourly direct flights to Newark from Toronto, and they cost less, while Ottawa only has three direct flights. But if you are going to fly through Ottawa, why not just take an earlier flight out of Toronto? It means getting up earlier, but you won't have to worry about your connection.

If your flight arrangements are because you are hooking up with travelling companions from Ottawa, I'd meet them in Newark.

• Like 1

There were multiple reasons for the flight we chose.  The Air Canada flight goes at 4 in afternoon on a Sunday and that gave us ample time to get our antigen test at Pearson.  That would cover our entry to US and pre cruise test as well.  Where we were going to get our local antigen test is closed on Sundays.  Reason 2 Porter airlines had multiple direct flights throughout the day but they utilize Toronto Island airport.  Since our return flight is from UK it will go to Pearson so we would have had to juggle where to park the car and get to/from Pearson to Island on one leg.  Reason 3 there were United Airlines flights but with the mess of US carrier cancellations did not want that risk.  Lastly, we didn't really have an issue with the layover initially.  As stated we "thought" we would have Ottawa boarding pass and go through US customs etc at Pearson before departing.  Arrive in Ottawa, find connector flight on tote board, and go directly to departure gate without going out into the general public area and all the recheck in/security issues.  Someone said it didn't work that way as initial flight is Canada airport to Canada airport.  Second flight was Canada to US so that is where the additional security checks occur.  So now we're a bit fidgety if the 2 hours is enough and if we can even change flights.  Thanks for ideas.

24 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

There were multiple reasons for the flight we chose.  The Air Canada flight goes at 4 in afternoon on a Sunday and that gave us ample time to get our antigen test at Pearson.  That would cover our entry to US and pre cruise test as well.  Where we were going to get our local antigen test is closed on Sundays.  Reason 2 Porter airlines had multiple direct flights throughout the day but they utilize Toronto Island airport.  Since our return flight is from UK it will go to Pearson so we would have had to juggle where to park the car and get to/from Pearson to Island on one leg.  Reason 3 there were United Airlines flights but with the mess of US carrier cancellations did not want that risk.  Lastly, we didn't really have an issue with the layover initially.  As stated we "thought" we would have Ottawa boarding pass and go through US customs etc at Pearson before departing.  Arrive in Ottawa, find connector flight on tote board, and go directly to departure gate without going out into the general public area and all the recheck in/security issues.  Someone said it didn't work that way as initial flight is Canada airport to Canada airport.  Second flight was Canada to US so that is where the additional security checks occur.  So now we're a bit fidgety if the 2 hours is enough and if we can even change flights.  Thanks for ideas.

Now knowing that your US leg an early evening flight on a Sunday, I've more confidence that you won't be faced with any significant crowds and that the available time is probably more than sufficient. That said, I'd still take the 3:10 pm flight out of Toronto, but that's just me. Of course, if you do, you'll waltz through in under 30 minutes and curse yourself for lever having listened to me as you sit there waiting and waiting and waiting! 😇

To get a better feel for conditions, why not check the Ottawa Departure board on Sundays for the next while. https://yow.ca/en#/departures. This afternoon/evening, there is not a single US-bound departure showing. 

• Like 1

While there has been considerable media coverage of flight cancellations in the US you should be aware that both Air Canada and Westjet have been cancelling many flights as well - just not the thousands like in the US as we don’t have as many flights here in Canada. So it doesn’t get the same sort of media coverage, but is happening more than most people may realize. I can appreciate your desire to travel within the timeframe of your antigen test, but you may want to ensure that should your flight get cancelled, the airline has another one later in the day that you can hopefully get moved to.

As for the Ottawa airport, the checkin gates for US destinations are in a separate area so even if the Air Canada checkin lines are busy for domestic or international travel, those dedicated for US destinations will only be as busy as needed for the AC flights.  Ottawa is nowhere as big or as busy as Toronto.  Pre-COVID I would agree that 2 hours would likely be enough time to change flights.  But as Fouremco as said, maybe an earlier flight would be better just to be safe - I have no idea what the staffing levels are at the airport these days.  Personally if I was flying to get to a cruise these days I would not want to chance taking connecting flights.  I had a Celebrity cruise booked (which I have cancelled) for late March and was going to drive to Montreal in order to get a direct flight to FLL.  I was not willing to chance a connecting flight out of Ottawa via Toronto or elsewhere.

• Like 1

This is more than enough time if things are on time.  The only times I find US customs in Canada to be blocked are early morning when there are (were pre-covid) multiple 6-6:30am departures) and before the evening high density flights to Florida.  It will take you a total of five mins to walk from the arrival gate to US customs and then that leaves you 90 mins to get through.

If you want to give yourself more time, you can ask to be put on an earlier Toronto - Ottawa flight (they're every hour) to give you an extra hour.  Standby is free without bags, not sure what they would say with bags at check-in.  

With flight cancellations and changes lately, perhaps you can also find yourself onto a Toronto - Newark direct by the time you depart as well.

Edited to add:  There are so many flights to Newark from Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto that even in a worst case scenario you should be able to make it in plenty of time to sail.  It's only a 7 hour drive if really stuck!

Edited by dolfan1980

1 hour ago, ALD18 said:

Thanks for the info.  As luck would have it looks like the flight we are scheduled for was cancelled today.  Plot thickens........................

Hopefully you find a new flight that works.

The only thing to add to the earlier discussion is Toronto-Ottawa is a rapid air flight with Air Canada.  That generally means for most fares there is no cost to move to an earlier flight in the day.  That provides quite a bit of flexibility.  An afternoon/evening flight to the US out of Ottawa is not going to have long lines.

I'm seeing a lot of flights from Ottawa have been cancelled March and April. I really hope May stays as we are hoping to cruise from Bayonne, and have flights booked as well.

To your question, according to AC website, you need 50 minutes to transit through Ottawa when going to the US. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/check-in-information/minimum-connection-times.html#/

Even with Covid protocols, I would imagine 2 hours is plenty of time. We normally arrive 2 hours before we fly (though those are early morning flights, and that was pre-Covid, but your bags should go through so that will save time). 

All kinds of juggling going on in our minds in hindsight.  One contingency is to have the car at the ready if flight issues arise in Toronto and hit the road to NYC.  Anything happens in Ottawa we rent car and head for NYC.  Newark airport being the smallest of the NYC airports kind of limits choices and availability.  As stated when we looked at yesterday's flight on Pearson's flight schedules and it was cancelled only added to our anxiety🤪  Hopefully, as with everything right now, things are better by May.  Thanks for the links above, will follow up for a bit more clarification.  Appreciate everyone's input.