Canadians - Testing Requirements for Returning Home

On 1/27/2022 at 6:34 PM, Amberle3 said:

None of us are getting a PCR test done, we're all doing the RT-LAMP test.
"This test kit is designed for travellers. The RT-LAMP test is accepted for re-entry into Canada, amongst other countries.

Test for presence of the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, which causes the disease COVID-19. The RT-LAMP Test Kit is a molecular diagnostic test and does not require laboratory processing. It is a self-collected test observed via a telehealth experience."

So the 2 of them that are heading back home right after the cruise will be doing the test onboard in the last few days of the cruise, and the other 2 will be doing it in the hotel at WDW before going home.

Is the ship's basic internet fast enough for the streaming call that you have to be on while these tests are performed or do you need to upgrade to the faster version?

On 1/27/2022 at 6:34 PM, Amberle3 said:

None of us are getting a PCR test done, we're all doing the RT-LAMP test.
"This test kit is designed for travellers. The RT-LAMP test is accepted for re-entry into Canada, amongst other countries.

Be careful with this one.  I found this article a few days ago and it looks like CBSA is not on the same page with this test.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/01/16/relieved-but-what-a-nightmare-travellers-pre-entry-covid-test-questioned-by-border-officials/

Also, on another forum, another poster called CBSA to verify after reading the above article and this was the response from (1/26/22):

We were just about to purchase these tests from Switch Health but I thought best to do some due diligence before doing so and wanted to share what I have just  learned:

1.  I contacted Canada Border Services Agency and was adamantly told that whether you are providing a PCR, NAAT or LAMP test it must be done so in a licensed facility.  I explained that the Switch Health tests were proctored and was told they are not valid.

2.  I contacted Switch Health and was told that while their website states that they are accepted, it is up to the customer to verify and remain up to date with protocols.  As far as they were concerned, their LAMP tests are accepted upon entry back to Canada.  They did suggest I contact Public Health.

3.  I was advised by Public Health that these tests would not meet entry requirements because sample collections must be sent to a lab in order to be valid.

I find it extremely frustrating and misleading that Switch Health and Air Canada are recommending these tests when the border agency and public health are saying that they are not acceptable.  It is also not very accurately stated on the government of canada travel site that the tests must be lab based.  It simply lists the type of tests that can be used.

I suppose it may come down to which land or airport border representative you happen to get upon arrival into Canada but I don't think it's worth taking a chance unless clearer information is updated.

Edited by Lovetocruise2002
  • Like 1

I am going in April as well. I think I may just do the Pier testing to keep things simple since there are just two of us. If I was a family of 4, I may go the Walgreens way. We used Walgreens twice when in Florida last year and we had no issues. It was quick and painless. However, it is a pain to get an appointment. I just want to go the path that causes the least amount of stress! Also hoping the requirement goes away in April! 🙂

I can add that we crossed via land last night after our sailing from Baltimore.  We crossed back at the Peace Bridge.  The agent did not even look at the tests.  Nor the ArriveCAN.  Just asked if we had them.

We did terminal testing provided by RCCL and had the results within 40 minutes.  The tests were provided by Rapid Reliable Testing.  When I checked the results it met all the criteria as set out for an acceptable test.   

I certainly hope that there is advancement with the Switch Health LAMP test as it is a fantastic option for Canadians.  We will be using them on our upcoming April Las Vegas trip.

30 minutes ago, edrussell said:

I can add that we crossed via land last night after our sailing from Baltimore.  We crossed back at the Peace Bridge.  The agent did not even look at the tests.  Nor the ArriveCAN.  Just asked if we had them.

We did terminal testing provided by RCCL and had the results within 40 minutes.  The tests were provided by Rapid Reliable Testing.  When I checked the results it met all the criteria as set out for an acceptable test.   

I certainly hope that there is advancement with the Switch Health LAMP test as it is a fantastic option for Canadians.  We will be using them on our upcoming April Las Vegas trip.

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound.

Good thing you didn’t need the hundo in your passport and the bible on your dash.😂😉 

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound.

Good thing you didn’t need the hundo in your passport and the bible on your dash.😂😉 

Who says the Benjamin didn't prevent me from getting the test handed to me....

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, edrussell said:

Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm really glad to hear that you didn't encounter any issues crossing the border. 

I personally find it very disappointing that the border guard did not look at the results. This point is causing our family a lot of grief over whether or not to go on our planned March Break cruise. If we go ahead and spend a minimum of $1260 USD for our family ("starting at $210 usd per person") on tests at the port and they aren't even verified at the border I will be incensed. 

11 minutes ago, edrussell said:

Who says the Benjamin didn't prevent me from getting the test handed to me....

You should listen to the Corb Lund song Bible on the Dash. When you were describing your trip home, on another thread, it totally reminded me of you headed home in a Blues Brothers type of mission. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JillK said:

Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm really glad to hear that you didn't encounter any issues crossing the border. 

I personally find it very disappointing that the border guard did not look at the results. This point is causing our family a lot of grief over whether or not to go on our planned March Break cruise. If we go ahead and spend a minimum of $1260 USD for our family ("starting at $210 usd per person") on tests at the port and they aren't even verified at the border I will be incensed. 

3 international trips during the pandemic and only once were our tests looked at.  The agent at Westjet glanced at one of them for about 5 seconds.

I've never had our ArriveCAN receipts ever looked at.  

9 hours ago, melbur said:

Did the pier testing last Sunday at Ft Lauderdale, although the tab was picked up by royal, it was fast and efficient. Had the results in about 45 minutes by email. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again even if it is on my dime!

Hi.. we are leaving and returning to Barbados and so are little concerned about the partner on the pier. I have emailed RCL but no answers yet and it is 4 weeks away. We might go with the self testing/video offered via AC. Friends returned in Jan from a holiday (not cruise) in Mexico, used this method and all was good. 

Was a copy on the cell phone sufficient  for entry as printing out on board or on terminal might be difficult. 

You speak of:  https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/#collectionKits

$149.00 for RT-Lamp (Molecular test which is needed to fly back to Canada.) However you will require adequate wifi speed to complete this monitored test.  It can be uploaded to your ARRIVECAN APP as you are probably aware to allow your return to Canada.

Happy and Safe travels,

Pam

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, scousergirl3 said:

Was a copy on the cell phone sufficient  for entry as printing out on board or on terminal might be difficult. 

Yes it was acceptable, as well in my ArriveCan app. 

hi...did you do the terminal testing or use the self  pcr lamp test with video? I have heard that canada border gave people issues as the heading address was mississauga and dates made been taken in mississauga impossible. So they had difficult time getting in. 

12 hours ago, melbur said:

Did the pier testing last Sunday at Ft Lauderdale, although the tab was picked up by royal, it was fast and efficient. Had the results in about 45 minutes by email. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again even if it is on my dime!

If you don't mind me asking, why did Royal cover the cost of your tests? Thanks 🙂

36 minutes ago, Bronx12 said:

If you don't mind me asking, why did Royal cover the cost of your tests? Thanks 🙂

They are covering PCR tests for international re-entry requirements until January 31st. They moved them from ship board to terminal January 5th. After that, the costs are your own. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jjunge81 said:

What happens if you do the in port testing as people have described here and it ends up coming back positive? We can still get on the plane and get home, just need to follow quarantine requirements when we get there?

No, you cannot return by air for 15 days

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/answers/citizen-symptoms-air

1 hour ago, melbur said:

I think that is an old page. This is from the updated page.

Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting January 15, 2022, 11th day) after your positive test result. If you had symptoms without a positive result, wait until the symptoms have ended and you have a valid negative pre-entry test result.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:35 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Be careful with this one.  I found this article a few days ago and it looks like CBSA is not on the same page with this test.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/01/16/relieved-but-what-a-nightmare-travellers-pre-entry-covid-test-questioned-by-border-officials/

Also, on another forum, another poster called CBSA to verify after reading the above article and this was the response from (1/26/22):

We were just about to purchase these tests from Switch Health but I thought best to do some due diligence before doing so and wanted to share what I have just  learned:

1.  I contacted Canada Border Services Agency and was adamantly told that whether you are providing a PCR, NAAT or LAMP test it must be done so in a licensed facility.  I explained that the Switch Health tests were proctored and was told they are not valid.

2.  I contacted Switch Health and was told that while their website states that they are accepted, it is up to the customer to verify and remain up to date with protocols.  As far as they were concerned, their LAMP tests are accepted upon entry back to Canada.  They did suggest I contact Public Health.

3.  I was advised by Public Health that these tests would not meet entry requirements because sample collections must be sent to a lab in order to be valid.

I find it extremely frustrating and misleading that Switch Health and Air Canada are recommending these tests when the border agency and public health are saying that they are not acceptable.  It is also not very accurately stated on the government of canada travel site that the tests must be lab based.  It simply lists the type of tests that can be used.

I suppose it may come down to which land or airport border representative you happen to get upon arrival into Canada but I don't think it's worth taking a chance unless clearer information is updated.

We've used the Switch Health kits 2 times for my family with no issues. Once flying, and once at the land border.  I'm surprised to hear that someone had issues with this test kit because it was absolutely no problem for us, it was never questioned.

• Like 1