Help advising friends...FV or S2

gordylad

Any help appreciated. Our two friends are considering going on a M class ship and have the option of FV aft cabin [not the one in a picture that's at the end of the ship with big balcony] or S2 sky suite. We have been in a S1 suite about 10 years ago [not M class] and have always recently cruised SV.

Thanks to anyone who can advise

Our last cruise on the Summit was in a FV. I loved it and wouldn’t hesitate to book one again.

Your friends will have to decide what is more important to them.

The FV’s as of now are still considered Verandas and you only going to received 3 Captain Club points per night and of course they don’t come with any of the

suite benefits.

Edited by Elainemh

To me it would depend on the price difference and if Luminae and MC lounge are worth that to them.  As far as the room goes the FV (even the non corner ones) are better than sky suite rooms on M class in my opinion.   Yes the CC points are less but they really don't have much value anymore with AI.

I'd vote for FV and maybe specialty dining every night and still come out way ahead financially!

I stay in suites over 1/2 the time and just recently stayed in a FV for 10 nights on Summit.   That said on M class I will often choose an aft C1 cabin over a Sky Suite for the aft view and super large balcony.  With FV you get the aft view, same large balcony and a large room.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gordylad said:

Totally confused now...we see the Infinity has Luminae but the ship hasn't been modernised? Wondering if they would be better off in the FV cabin?

Those are two totally separate things. Every ship, whether it's been revolutionized or not has Luminae.

Thanks...I've pulled the following off the web site. It mentions OBC pp [including shore excursions] so this is just saying it can be used for almost anything including shore excursions?

What does it mean "breakfast, lunch and dinner at select venues" Does this mean Luminae and MDR?

Just for Info the $ cost between the 2 types of cabins is 900$

The Retreat

Streaming Wi-Fi

$400 per person in onboard credit to use however you choose, including shore excursions

Premium drinks

TipsDining

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner included at select venues

Exclusive Access to Luminae

900 total will pretty much be taken care of by the OBC which comes with the suite as well as premium bev package and stream wifi.   Just make sure it is not a Simply Sail rate which comes with none of that with the suite.  If it's an AI rate for just $900 more then my vote changes to go with the suite.

Yes OBC can be used for just about anything onboard except a deposit on a future cruise.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, gordylad said:

Any help appreciated. Our two friends are considering going on a M class ship and have the option of FV aft cabin [not the one in a picture that's at the end of the ship with big balcony] or S2 sky suite. We have been in a S1 suite about 10 years ago [not M class] and have always recently cruised SV.

We used to kid that it was never a good idea to take an FV Guarantee for fear you might get upgraded to a Sky Suite!  The FV has more space both inside and out than any SS, and unless the SS is being considered for suite perks, the FV is the much preferred cabin.  Cabin to cabin, FV, no question.  Throwing in suite-nonsuite adds a bit of a monkey wrench.

You say "not the one in a picture that's at the end of the ship with big balcony", so I assume we're talking about the FVs that are just inside of those (2nd from the end on both sides on 7/8/9).  While not quite as roomy, either FV is still a cut above the SS cabins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisinsusin said:

any experience with the FVs on deck 9? Only a few reports in the M class cabin spreadsheet and noise from Oceanview/Sunset bar has been mentioned

Thanks

We had an FV on Deck 9 (9158) last June on the Millennium.  Every time someone slid a chair at the bar area, you could definitely hear it.  Fortunately, the ship was at 22% capacity, so it wasn't too bad for us, but if that bar is busy, it could be annoying.

Edited by Fedic

17 hours ago, gordylad said:

The FV cabin is nice, we had it on Millie a few weeks ago. If you want the whole Retreat experience, book the suite. If you are happy mingling with the commoners, the FV is a great and roomy cabin. We were in 9199.

1pA9Mf93Ql+0t9k2+b81Ow.jpg

tOBiX3L%SLaVkoHVYfxYNQ.jpg

dKg+g662Q+K6VC3hZg0XgQ.jpg

8 hours ago, cruisinsusin said:

any experience with the FVs on deck 9? Only a few reports in the M class cabin spreadsheet and noise from Oceanview/Sunset bar has been mentioned

Thanks

Oh yeah, 9199 was our cabin and the deck noise from Sunset Bar/Oceanview cafe outdoor seating is annoying as all get out. Do not book on 9 if you can avoid it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruisinsusin said:

Thanks

Not horrible, but 7 or 8 definitely better choices for noise from moving furniture back into place.

• Like 1