GHIC or new UK EHIC

amajaa

Does anyone know what the difference is as I understood when your EHIC ran out you could replace it with the GHIC. I was just going in to do so and there appears to be a new UK EHIC . Anyone know what the difference is? 

Link to Government website

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-global-health-insurance-card-ghic/

It looks like the UK EHIC might cover you in Norway and Iceland as well, but not sure if this is just for non UK citizens that have the right to live here. I think it will tell you more as you are applying so I going to apply.

Update on this - it didn't give me a choice only gave me GHIC. Unfortunately our first cruise is to Norway so we won't need it yet anyway 

Edited by amajaa

UK EHIC is for EU nationals resident in the uk.

GHIC is for UK citizens and replaces EHIC

But … in my case , I am a UK citizen and my wife is Finnish and we live in the UK  and she has right to remain.

Because of this she also gets a GHIC as she is married to me , and I also get an EHIC as I am married to her !!!

so we get both each !! And have got them.

so if you are a “dependant” (which includes being married) to an EU citizen who has right to remain and you live in the UK you both get reciprocal rights for both cards.

very little difference except the Norway Iceland bit.

paul

Edited by paulatsea