HOU Airport to Galveston?

Dragoncruiser22

12 hours ago, Dragoncruiser22 said:

I'm not booking all inclusive (booking flights separately). In that case how do I book the shuttle? Just contract RCI directly?

Your travel agent can arrange it for you or call RCCL if you booked the cruise directly through them.

On 1/30/2022 at 4:55 PM, Hutcha said:

You cant use a regular car set on a plane. Only boosters

On 1/31/2022 at 7:05 AM, Dragoncruiser22 said:

It's a good question. For the ship shuttle bus that is a motor coach then no, but for an airport shuttle like a minibus then yes it is required. I will likely just buy a booster seat as she is tall enough for those now.

When the hell did this change, and why the hell did this change?  A baby not in a carseat is even worse off than a toddler/preschooler not in a carseat/booster!

I flew many a time with my son in a full-on carseat until he was over 5yo (took him that long to hit the 40lb limit).  I know he's a grown adult now, but it wasn't THAT long ago that the rules should have changed?????

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

When the hell did this change, and why the hell did this change?  A baby not in a carseat is even worse off than a toddler/preschooler not in a carseat/booster!

I flew many a time with my son in a full-on carseat until he was over 5yo (took him that long to hit the 40lb limit).  I know he's a grown adult now, but it wasn't THAT long ago that the rules should have changed?????

I had it backwards. A car seat is allowed, a booster is not. Just make sure it is approved for aircraft use, and it goes in the window seat.

On 1/31/2022 at 2:08 PM, mitz18 said:

its about 70+ miles from IAH to Galv pier and maybe 50 miles Hobby to Galv.  No train except freight trains. Public transport difficult between the two.  Uber probably $150 (just a pure guess) Cruise line transport probably best.

Uber is only $50 from downtown Houston to the cruise port in Galveston. It will be even cheaper from around Hobby airport area. From IAH to cruise terminal would of course be more, but considering I can generally get an Uber from my home near downtown to or from IAH for less than $40, I would suspect that an Uber from IAH would still be under $100. While Uber is definitely more expensive than a shuttle, it is definitely more convenient than the shuttle as well.

On 1/31/2022 at 7:05 AM, Dragoncruiser22 said:

It's a good question. For the ship shuttle bus that is a motor coach then no, but for an airport shuttle like a minibus then yes it is required. I will likely just buy a booster seat as she is tall enough for those now.

Thanks for the reply.

If you are getting a booster, then I assume you could use that as well in an Uber? If so, I would consider taking Uber to the port. However, when you arrive back at port after the cruise, I would definitely arrange to take the Royal shuttle to your airport as that will definitely be the most convenient.

• 1 month later...

All,

Thank you for your replies. While we originally booked a hotel near the airport and booked the cruise shuttle (one way, they didn't have space for the return), we then decided like many said that it would be better to get to Galveston the day we land as there is much more to do there. So we booked the Galveston express which is actually cheaper than the RCI shuttle anyway. 

2 weeks out, getting excited!

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 6:42 AM, Dragoncruiser22 said:

All,

Thank you for your replies. While we originally booked a hotel near the airport and booked the cruise shuttle (one way, they didn't have space for the return), we then decided like many said that it would be better to get to Galveston the day we land as there is much more to do there. So we booked the Galveston express which is actually cheaper than the RCI shuttle anyway. 

2 weeks out, getting excited!

And are you flying with your child's carseat as well?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 10:22 AM, brillohead said:

And are you flying with your child's carseat as well?

We bought a backless booster we are flying with in that it will be with us on the flight for use in Galveston but are aware it is not allowed to be used for the flight.

24 minutes ago, Dragoncruiser22 said:

We bought a backless booster we are flying with in that it will be with us on the flight for use in Galveston but are aware it is not allowed to be used for the flight.

Sounds like your kid is a pretty big kid if they're out of a carseat at 3yo! 

Mine was a scrawny little thing, he was still in a carseat when he started kindergarten because he wasn't 40 pounds yet! (He's an Army soldier now -- his scrawny early childhood didn't hold him back! LOL)