Stateroom Questions (Aft Verandah Suite)

benchmarklearning

Thanks to all the comments on this board - it has been very helpful to us as we look forward to our first cruise Mar. 25 on the Oosterdam.

Does anyone have any experience with the corner aft Deluxe Verandah suites (7132 in particular)?

Is the size of the room smaller than the other Deluxe Verandah suites due to the massive size of the verandah? Is the layout "wierd" because of the corner aft position?

Does the fact that we are high up on the aft of the ship increase the risk of some seasickness?

Will we hear engine noise?

Hope these questions aren't too naive! Since this is the first of many cruises (hopefully) we have tried to do everything right.

Thanks!

We have never stayed in one of the S aft cabins.

We prefer mid-ship on the Vista class ships.

JMO - the midship suites are much larger than the aft ones while the midship verandahs are smaller than the aft verandahs. If you intend to stay out on your verandah a lot, then you might be happy with it. Do keep in mind that people standing at the rail on Navigation and Lido Decks can see you.

First cruise - yes you may feel some sway that far back. I would not recommend a cabin that far back for first time cruisers until you know whether or not you may get seasick.

I love the aft corner verandah suites. Stayed in S5187 corner (largest corner suite) on Zuiderdam to Caribbean and also the year before in a side S suite on Zuiderdam. Yes, the side suite was slightly larger but the larger verandah at the aft corner for us made all the difference. Guess it depends on how much time you plan on spending out on the verandah.

Managed to snag the S5187 again on our upcoming Alaska cruise on Oosterdam in May and can't wait.

Engine noise we never really heard at all. Just the wonderful sound of the wake. Only one night did we really feel the cabin vibrating and that didn't upset us in the least. Reminds you you're on a ship.

Yes, upper decks can look down on the decks below, but who cares?! No one really did anyway, and I'm sure if they were it was with envy. There's always the wonderful side portion that wraps around if you want complete privacy.

Either way you can't go wrong in an "S" category.

Happy Sailing!

Lauderdalebob,

We are first time cruisers and are booked in 6158 which seems to be one deck up and on the opposite side. Do you think the cabins will be similar?

As first time cruisers I have been reading as much as I can on these boards and I have noted that there tends to be more engine noise. Is that true?

Any info (preferably positive:) ) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi, we were in cabin 7132 on the Zuiderdam in July 2003, we loved it. The balcony was so big we figured we could have had 100 people on it easily! The only bad thing I can say about it was the fact that trash would get on it from higher decks and even that depended on the wind direction. I love being at the back of the ship personally. So you have to walk farther, burns more calories for all that fabulous food. I don't know if the cabin was any smaller than the other ones, not much would be my guess from just peeking into ones that the door was open on while it was being cleaned. Any other questions just ask!

Archived