Antarctica Trip - Any Potential for it to be Canceled?

MostlyGreyBeard

Hello!  I'm scheduled to sail on the Octantis next week from Ushuaia to Antarctica for about 14days.  This is my first cruise and I've been reading about recent South American/Antarctica cancelations and was wondering what the likelihood is of something like that happening before leaving.  I'm still getting emails about all the steps I need to take before departing but over the last week I'm often locked out of my account and haven't been able to view my airline tickets online.  Additionally, there's no details about individual days while we're in Antarctica--it all seems tbd with no ability to sign up for anything. 

I'm hesitant about booking some end-of-trip flights if I'm still not certain this is a go--just wondering if I'm being paranoid.  

Thanks very much!

I think you'll be fine.  Hop onto the thread called "Viking Expeditions" and read the last page or so and join in the talk there, and I think you'll be reassured.  Viking is experiencing problems with "My Viking Journey" that are unrelated to the actual cruise going, so it's not just you.  

Also, they never really know too far ahead which excursions will happen on any given day in Antarctica because of weather.  It's all pretty fluid down there, so that shouldn't be a worry either.  

13 hours ago, MostlyGreyBeard said:

Hello!  I'm scheduled to sail on the Octantis next week from Ushuaia to Antarctica for about 14days.  This is my first cruise and I've been reading about recent South American/Antarctica cancelations and was wondering what the likelihood is of something like that happening before leaving.  I'm still getting emails about all the steps I need to take before departing but over the last week I'm often locked out of my account and haven't been able to view my airline tickets online.  Additionally, there's no details about individual days while we're in Antarctica--it all seems tbd with no ability to sign up for anything. 

I'm hesitant about booking some end-of-trip flights if I'm still not certain this is a go--just wondering if I'm being paranoid.  

Thanks very much!

Hi, We are on the Feb 4th cruise, there is a great Facebook page if you are on there.  It’s the Viking Expedition Antarctica Cruises page, Phil Buzby is the administrator and it’s full of wonderful information.  The latest form you need to complete is featured there as well, which was helpful as we are locked out too.