Travel cancellation insurance company for people who live in Canada?

Hi Cathy, 

I am wondering as well. I spoke to RCL last night and they told me they don't offer cancellation insurance on my Norwegian Fjord cruise to Canadians. Have you ever heard of this?  I have not. We have done cruises from Europe before with no problem with insurance. 

My husband and Mom are both over 65. The RCL lady referred me to Manulife.

I am so confused. Lol

Jan

OMG, Waverley7 that is ridiculous - Have you tried "Insure my Trip"  -   We have used TourMed - when our cruise was cancelled with Royal - I called them and they refunded my money. I will probably with go with them for our Sept cruise, keeping my fingers crossed, we will be able to cruise.

• Like 1

We are going on an MSC cruise in Feb.   They require full health insurance covering covid plus cancellation and trip interruption or you can't board. For Canadians it is hard to get travel insurance for cruises.   MSC is partnered with an insurance company so we can get it but super expensive. We don't mind the health part but the cancellation/interruption insurance adds about $500.00 more to the cost.  

Had a hard time finding someone to talk to so just putting it out there.

11 hours ago, Cthy651 said:

Steve, can you recommend an travel cancellation insurance company for people who live in Canada?  Thank you

Hi Cthy651,

Unfortunately, the Canadian government stopped US travel insurance companies from doing business in Canada in 2018. I had a website called https://snowbirdinsurance.com/   and 1/3 of my customers were Canadian. This website is now inactive until I can find a solution.

Since then I've tried to work with Canadian insurance brokers, but I find them woefully lacking in understanding how their policies work.

I'm sorry I can't help you.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 2:45 PM, Cthy651 said:

OMG, Waverley7 that is ridiculous - Have you tried "Insure my Trip"  -   We have used TourMed - when our cruise was cancelled with Royal - I called them and they refunded my money. I will probably with go with them for our Sept cruise, keeping my fingers crossed, we will be able to cruise.

I think this is a great site. I am interested in Trip Interruption and Cancellation insurance as a top up (if possible) as we already have a hefty $$ annual plan (which will b=not cover Covid). However from the TourMed site: "

It depends… On March 9, 2020, the Canadian Government issued an advisory to “avoid all cruise ship travel”. This advisory is still effective. On March 13, 2020, they issued a global advisory to “avoid non-essential travel”. This advisory was lifted on October 21, 2021, and then reinstated on December 15, 2021.

For a trip other than a cruise: 

Any initial Trip arrangement booked between March 13, 2020 and October 21, 2021, as well as on December 15, 2021 or later, is not covered in the event of a trip cancellation or interruption pertaining to the advisory to “avoid non-essential travel”, since the advisory originated from the COVID-19 pandemic, and COVID-19 was a known risk at the time of booking.

Initial Trip arrangements booked between October 22, 2021 and December 14, 2021 are covered (subject to the terms, conditions and limitations of the policy).

For a cruise: 

Any initial Trip arrangement booked after March 9, 2020 is not covered in the event of a trip cancellation or interruption pertaining to the advisory to “avoid all cruise ship travel”, since the advisory originated from the COVID-19 pandemic, and COVID-19 was a know risk at the time of booking.

In other words, COVID-19 is considered a known risk since March 9, 2020 (for cruises) and is not an insured risk for initial Trip arrangements that would have been made after that date. (Coverage of a possible trip cancellation or interruption is subject to the other terms, conditions and exclusions of the protection.)"

SOOOOO it looks like even they will not cover this for a cruise.....??

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2022 at 8:32 PM, SplashSplish said:

We are going on an MSC cruise in Feb.   They require full health insurance covering covid plus cancellation and trip interruption or you can't board. For Canadians it is hard to get travel insurance for cruises.   MSC is partnered with an insurance company so we can get it but super expensive. We don't mind the health part but the cancellation/interruption insurance adds about $500.00 more to the cost.  

Had a hard time finding someone to talk to so just putting it out there.

Did you ever get this figured out?

What did they ask for?