Upcoming (next few weeks) RCCL cruise to CHARLOTTE AMALIE, ST. THOMAS, what to do on our own?

LB_NJ

Have an upcoming cruise in the next few weeks that has a stop at St. Thomas, not interested in the beach.

Signed up for a 2 hour driving tour and wondering if there is anything to do near the port and if it is safe?

Never been to this island before.

In my experience there isn't much to do in this small port beyond the typical Diamond International and gift shops. There are a lot of taxi's available so that is usually what we do. We grab a taxi and go over to Emerald beach which is close by but you have to get a taxi back as well. It just sort of works out for us in the past on the taxi back but I wouldn't cut it too close. 

For a non-beach day, your options include a self-tour of the historical area and maybe some shopping in Charlotte Amalie, a lunch at Gladys’ or another spot…

STT offers nice beaches with snorkeling as well as nice daysails…

is your tour a shared tour with others? Do you know where it takes you?

Hi, we were just in St Thomas, passing through on our way to St. John for a 5 night stay.  St T seemed still very closed up from a tourist perspective, with many of the jewelry shops etc not re opened.  I would recommend taking a ferry to St. John and then a taxi to one of the fabulous beaches.  Cinnamon Bay, Trunk and Maho have food and other services available.   Enjoy!

On 2/3/2022 at 10:46 AM, Stldan said:

In my experience there isn't much to do in this small port beyond the typical Diamond International and gift shops. There are a lot of taxi's available so that is usually what we do. We grab a taxi and go over to Emerald beach which is close by but you have to get a taxi back as well. It just sort of works out for us in the past on the taxi back but I wouldn't cut it too close. 

To clarify, Lindbergh Bay (aka “Emerald Beach” for the Emerald Resort) is the closest beach with amenities to Crown Bay…

On 2/6/2022 at 8:09 AM, the2006Junket said:

Hi, we were just in St Thomas, passing through on our way to St. John for a 5 night stay.  St T seemed still very closed up from a tourist perspective, with many of the jewelry shops etc not re opened.  I would recommend taking a ferry to St. John and then a taxi to one of the fabulous beaches.  Cinnamon Bay, Trunk and Maho have food and other services available.   Enjoy!

Maho is in St Maarten unless there's another one in St Thomas ??

I beg to differ that there isn't much to do here.  Have been many times and always find plenty to do.  The driving tour is always a good idea, but you might want to to some research to choose some places you'd like the driver to taker you (i.e., Mountain Top, Magen's Bay, etc.).  If you are beach people, there are plenty to choose from.  The ferry over to Water Island and Honeymoon Beach is also a good option for the day.  Easy trip and a great place to relax.

2 hours ago, cleophus12 said:

I beg to differ that there isn't much to do here.  Have been many times and always find plenty to do.  The driving tour is always a good idea, but you might want to to some research to choose some places you'd like the driver to taker you (i.e., Mountain Top, Magen's Bay, etc.).  If you are beach people, there are plenty to choose from.  The ferry over to Water Island and Honeymoon Beach is also a good option for the day.  Easy trip and a great place to relax.

Yes so many great options one can choose for their short visit here - From easy island tours to nice beaches to more adventurous daysails and other water sports. Agree the small ferry over to WI is a nice day, just beware the crowds on HB today with the larger ships in port, esp at Crown…
But there is always a choice for everyone…

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would mention that there is (or was?) a pretty good zip line that runs down a mountain on the north side of the island. My daughter and her husband really liked it and it offers a good, fun, scenic ride down a mountain. If you decide to do an island tour, other things on that side of the island worthy of photos are Magen’s Bay and Drakes Seat, which offers a good panoramic view. In my opinion just driving all around on the island to see the scenery and what is where, how things and areas look,  is interesting in and of itself.