Underwater Camera

sjmbruce

On 1/29/2022 at 7:21 PM, sjmbruce said:

I'm looking for an easy to use but good quality underwater camera, preferably no more than $150. Any suggestions?

Answer somewhat depends on how deep you want to go.  Don't mean to be a smarty pants; but, Fuji makes a pretty good point and shoot digital camera that's good to 10 Meters (supposedly, I've never had mine much over 20ft down as I only snorkel these days) for a bit over $100.  If you have a small digital you like, there are also an array of cases (some look like plastic bags) for less than $50 on the market.  

Deeper of more capable than that, is beyond my knowledge set since I haven't dived with a camera for 20years or so.🙄  Hope this helps,

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, The best underwater camera on the market for a starter range is the Olympus TG6. Waterproof to 15M and then needs an housing. We have seen some amazing photos using this camera. They now do a ring light attachment for dark days. This camera is as good above water as below. Has underwater features and white balance. Not as cheap as you would like but would last you many years. I think about £340. If you go to Youtube and check out Backscatter using a TG6 and you will see what it can do.

Chris

the first question: what's you definition of 'underwater'

a) at the surface and maybe a few feet underwater not to exceed 5

b) not to exceed 15 (a decent surface dive for most snorkel crowd

or c) SCUBA depths 

a) I use my cell phone in a bag ..... MoKo Waterproof Phone Pouch Holder, Underwater Cellphone Case Dry Bag with Lanyard Armband Compatible with iPhone 13/13 Pr... about $10

b) there are fairly inexpensive digital cameras

c) Sealife reefmaster 4k is waterproof to 130ft (sport diving limits) RM-4K-Website_0012_RM-4K-PNG_0009_Layer-0.png?fit=1000%2C1000&ssl=1

• 4 weeks later...

I had a few of those cheaper cameras,Nikon,Fuji,Olympic, all have leaked and are no good and the company wouldn’t fix. Do yourself a favor,get a go pro and get the extra underwater housing. Works as a camera or video. You’ll be glad you did.

those cameras are really meant for underwater 

• Like 1

Go Pro and alike cameras do a pretty good job underwater. There is a reason why a lot of divers use them.   I use SJ Cams which are Go Pro clones. I bought one, dived with it and liked it so much I bought another. They are significantly less expensive than a Go Pro. Lost the first one on a dive, dropped the second one and broke the screen but it still works. They use most Go Pro accessories as well.

The easiest to use camera I've owned was a sealife for recreational dive depths (130 feet max).  They have a wide variety so check it out.  As others have said, it depends on what you're looking to do and how deep you're going to go.