"No show" one guest

PattiPB

One of my sons can't make this July's cruise to Alaska. His cabin was booked with his siblings during the fabulous "Book a verandah get an inside cabin free" offer in 2019. So, I only paid about $250 taxes for his rate.

How should I handle it? The other two people in his cabin will still be sailing. Do I let HA know in advance, or just ignore it completely when I check in. will the $250 be refunded?

TIA~

The three son were going to be in the interior?

I would let HAL know and you will get his port taxes and fees back now.  

Please make sure you sons know that they need at least their gov't issued birth certificate to travel.  Passports would be great.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher

34 minutes ago, PattiPB said:

One of my sons can't make this July's cruise to Alaska. His cabin was booked with his siblings during the fabulous "Book a verandah get an inside cabin free" offer in 2019. So, I only paid about $250 taxes for his rate.

We ran into this last September when my BIL wasn't able to travel in one of those free interior rooms. The port fees and taxes were refunded to our credit card about three weeks after the cruise was over. My DW's sister enjoyed the interior room but spent a lot of time with us in the Neptune Suite we paid for with mostly FCC after a few cancellations.

4 hours ago, PattiPB said:

So you didn't say anything in advance and just let the scenario play out? At check-in, did they ask the whereabouts of your BIL?

My SIL did call HAL about the possibility of him not sailing, and they said not to worry about it. He wasn't certain until almost the last minute. It all worked out.

4 hours ago, PattiPB said:

PS---my kids all have passports, thanks for the reminder.

You would be surprised at the number of people who show up for their cruise without the needed documents.  One story I'll share is of a young couple (about 30 yr old), she had her passport, but he just had his MA driver's license.  Luckily he was able to call home and someone was able to find his birth certificate and send a photo of it to the pier and he was able to board the ship.

I know many people read these threads, and I will often times take the opportunity to remind folks of what they need in the way of travel documents.  Thanks for letting me 'piggyback' onto your thread in hopes of getting a reminder out.  ;  )