Just Curious How Cheers Gratuities are Distributed

BubbaD123

If anyone happens to know. For simplicity's sake, if I have a $15 per day gratuity added on to my Cheers and get 15 drinks. is the system smart enough to distribute it evenly amongst all drinks I order? Or are the tips just pooled and given to all bartenders/runners equitably? 

My understanding is that gratuities are paid in advance when you purchase your Cheers package. Thus those gratuities would go into a pool for all bartenders and waitstaff eligible.  Each drink you buy with Cheers creates a ticket, so there could be some remittance since the barkeep or wait staf printed the ticket. There is a space on the ticket for you to add extra and many do so.

For the record, I do not know the answer, I have just rolled it around in my head many times.  I am a logistics nerd and a former bartender, so the real answer is somewhat important to me.

I believe it is most likely that the gratuity (which ranges from $9.36 per day for an advance purchase on long cruises to $10.79 per day for an onboard purchase on a short cruise, it is NEVER anywhere near $15/day) is pooled for all staff who 'sell' Cheers inclusive products, and split evenly.

I believe it would be most sensible/fair, but somewhat less likely, that the daily fee is prorated against the total 'normal price' of all the Cheers inclusive products you 'purchase' - for simplicity, if in a day you order fifteen $10 alcoholic beverages and five $3 sodas or waters, each booze beverage will have a ~$.60 (sixty cent) tip assigned to the appropriate server/venue and each water/soda will have an ~$.18 (eighteen cent) tip assigned to the appropriate server/venue.  I imagine this amount would be lower if the Cheers package is from a discounted RU promo.

It's also possible that the system counts your total number of drinks - perhaps just booze drinks, maybe all your Cheers freebies - and splits your ~$10 a day equally - that's $.50-$.75 a drink in the above example, more if you're not a drunk like me (I mean, a heavy user of Cheers.). I also assume this amount would be lower if you have a Cheers RU discounted package.

It seems absolutely impossible that Carnival actually gives the appropriate server/venue a tip based on the actual price of the drink.  I am confident that Carnival doesn't give them any more than you give Carnival - so $10.79 a day at most, so ~$.75 a drink at most if you're a heavy user.

I would be SUPER interested in knowing how it actually works.  If I knew for sure, I'd be able to tailor my additional tips more appropriately.   Following with extreme curiosity!

Edited by Virga
wording

7 minutes ago, Virga said:

For the record, I do not know the answer, I have just rolled it around in my head several times.  

I believe it is most likely that the gratuity (which ranges from $9.36 per day for an advance purchase on long cruises to $10.79 per day for an onboard purchase on a short cruise, it is NEVER anywhere near $15/day) is pooled for all staff who 'sell' Cheers inclusive products, and split evenly.

I believe it would be most sensible/fair, but somewhat less likely, that the daily fee is prorated against the total 'normal price' of all the Cheers inclusive products you 'purchase' - for simplicity, if in a day you order fifteen $10 alcoholic beverages and five $3 sodas or waters, each booze beverage will have a ~$.60 (sixty cent) tip assigned to the appropriate server/venue and each water/soda will have an ~$.18 (eighteen cent) tip assigned to the appropriate server/venue.  I imagine this amount would be lower if the Cheers package is from a discounted RU promo.

It's also possible that the system counts your total number of drinks - perhaps just booze drinks, maybe all your Cheers freebies - and splits your ~$10 a day equally - that's $.50-$.75 a drink in the above example, more if you're not a drunk like me (I mean, a heavy user of Cheers.). I also assume this amount would be lower if you have a Cheers RU discounted package.

It seems absolutely impossible that Carnival actually gives the appropriate server/venue a tip based on the actual price of the drink.  I am confident that Carnival doesn't give them any more than you give Carnival - so $10.79 a day at most, so ~$.75 a drink at most if you're a heavy user.

I would be SUPER interested in knowing how it actually works.  If I knew for sure, I'd be able to tailor my additional tips more appropriately.   Following with extreme curiosity!

You are 100% accurate.  The grat amount that is added to your CHEERS purchase is divided up equally per beverage, be it a soda, a latte or a handcrafted martini for the servers.  

• Thanks 1