Pre travel antigen or PCR TEST?

smj

I want to be certain to meet all necessary COVID requirements. I can’t find a lab that can provide PCR results within 72 hours. Am I am correct  that a lab antigen test will be acceptable? I want to make sure our expenses will be cornered if we test positive at the pier or onboard. I really don’t want to do a at home monitored test.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, smj said:

I want to be certain to meet all necessary COVID requirements. I can’t find a lab that can provide PCR results within 72 hours. Am I am correct  that a lab antigen test will be acceptable? I want to make sure our expenses will be cornered if we test positive at the pier or onboard. I really don’t want to do a at home monitored test.

Thanks

Check out all of the info on the website as that is the controlling doc.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/health

As of today (and the past few months), the PCR is preferred, but antigen is acceptable. They also give a link that can help you find testing.

Enjoy your cruise!

I would always do the antigen rather than the PCR if it is accepted, especially if you have recovered from Omicron.  The PCR may still show positive even if you are fully recovered from Omicron for some period of time after recovery.  

How Long Do You Test Positive On A PCR After Covid Infection? (yahoo.com)

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 6:36 PM, HiFi43 said:

As I was looking at a listing for the sale of one of the Crystal ships I found this listing of an an R ship for $150 million dollars. It is located in California , where Regatta is currently, and I I read Regatta’s name on the picture. We are due to sale on the Regatta at the Ed of the summer. Curious? Anyone have any information about this?

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1998-cruise-ship---684-824-passengers----stock-no.-s2204-6520634/ 

8 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I would always do the antigen rather than the PCR if it is accepted, especially if you have recovered from Omicron.  The PCR may still show positive even if you are fully recovered from Omicron for some period of time after recovery.  

How Long Do You Test Positive On A PCR After Covid Infection? (yahoo.com)

But I thought the PCR test was more accurate, i.e., fewer false positives?? No?

12 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I think the antigen tests give more false negatives.  It's not a sensitive as the PCR tests, especially in the early and late stages of infection.

Edited by 1985rz1

5 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

No. NAAT tests such as RT-PCR can return a positive result after you're no longer clinically ill.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html

"Prolonged Detection of SARS-CoV-2

While viral RNA shedding declines with resolution of symptoms, SARS-CoV-2 RNA shedding may continue for days to weeks.(37,47,48) Thus, detection of viral RNA during convalescence does not necessarily indicate replication-competent virus (infectiousness) or the presence of new infectious virus. Some people who have recovered may have detectable SARS-CoV-2 RNA in upper respiratory specimens for up to 3 months after illness onset, albeit at concentrations considerably lower than during illness, in ranges where replication-competent virus has not been reliably recovered and infectiousness is unlikely"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No. NAAT tests such as RT-PCR can return a positive result after you're no longer clinically ill.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html

"Prolonged Detection of SARS-CoV-2

While viral RNA shedding declines with resolution of symptoms, SARS-CoV-2 RNA shedding may continue for days to weeks.(37,47,48) Thus, detection of viral RNA during convalescence does not necessarily indicate replication-competent virus (infectiousness) or the presence of new infectious virus. Some people who have recovered may have detectable SARS-CoV-2 RNA in upper respiratory specimens for up to 3 months after illness onset, albeit at concentrations considerably lower than during illness, in ranges where replication-competent virus has not been reliably recovered and infectiousness is unlikely"

Viking actually has a policy for this--allowing a certificate of recovery to be submitted by your doctor if you test positive on a PCR test following recovery from infection.  Not sure if Oceania has a similar policy.

Just now, basenji56 said:

Viking actually has a policy for this--allowing a certificate of recovery to be submitted by your doctor if you test positive on a PCR test following recovery from infection.  Not sure if Oceania has a similar policy.

Oceania does not.