New To Hal Past Celebrity Loyalist

gizmodog

I agree on the food issue. Celebrity food is often sort of bland, especially the fish. On our last Veendam cruise the fish dishes were really excellent! On Celebrity I usually order the beef, that is what they do well. HAL also has some spicy dishes that you don't find on Celebrity. Celebrity does have it hands down on dining room service.

cruisinjudy,

When you compare your signature with our signature it is apparent we both have cruised many lines, but have settled in with Holland America and Celebrity. I see this trend with many people. As long as these two lines continue to compete for the same customers, we will reap the rewards!:D

Enjoy!

Kel

SS doesn't really have "suite" perks but has a few extras like personalized stationary, extra shower stall and full size whirlpool tub. It is similar to the veranda cabin "mini-suites" on the S and R class HAL ships but bigger by almost 100 sq ft. The S and R class do not have an extra shower stall and have standard size whirlpool tubs.

Now all HAL cabins have robes, lighted make-up mirrors, fruit baskets, and the marvelous bedding so that is no longer exclusive to SS on Vista. Also VCR and/or DVD players with free movies are still included in SS and Mini suites on S and R class. Flat screen TV's may be in all rooms after SOE upgrades.

I'm trying to answer your original questions.

HAL is more "traditional" ocean liner than Celebrity and other lines.

The crew attends the HAL school in Jakarta (sp?) before coming to the line and are excellently trained.

Hope this helps,

GN

Just to follow up about the SS verandah. I checked with my friend and she said that the verandah is definitely HUGE. It had a table and chairs and then two comfy chairs with ottomans. There were no loungers, but they would have fit.

It's so interesting to me to read varying opinions on the food on both these lines. Personally, I so prefer Celebrity and have never found the food bland. I found HAL food bland, but I admit I've only cruised HAL 3 times and only twice since 2000 ... one on Maasdam and one on Oosterdam in 2004. There were dinners on the Oosterdam where they actually had nothing on the menu that I liked. So it's absolutely true that food is so subjective.

As for service, I know most everyone on the HAL board disagrees with me, but the service on HAL just doesn't measure up to Celebrity. On HAL I often couldn't find a table in the Lido and no one helped me. While on Celebrity, there was always someone waiting to take us to a table, bring coffee, etc.

But there are still so many other positives about HAL that we don't hesitate to book more cruises. In the old days, Royal Viking was my favorite ... now sadly gone.

Just to follow up about the SS verandah. I checked with my friend and she said that the verandah is definitely HUGE. It had a table and chairs and then two comfy chairs with ottomans. There were no loungers, but they would have fit.

It's so interesting to me to read varying opinions on the food on both these lines. Personally, I so prefer Celebrity and have never found the food bland. I found HAL food bland, but I admit I've only cruised HAL 3 times and only twice since 2000 ... one on Maasdam and one on Oosterdam in 2004. There were dinners on the Oosterdam where they actually had nothing on the menu that I liked. So it's absolutely true that food is so subjective.

As for service, I know most everyone on the HAL board disagrees with me, but the service on HAL just doesn't measure up to Celebrity. On HAL I often couldn't find a table in the Lido and no one helped me. While on Celebrity, there was always someone waiting to take us to a table, bring coffee, etc.

But there are still so many other positives about HAL that we don't hesitate to book more cruises. In the old days, Royal Viking was my favorite ... now sadly gone.

I'm with you Heather! Celebrity's dining room food is a little better than HAL's, and so is the service. The Lido does a great job and is as good, if not better, than Celebrity's buffet. And as Frommer's states, " you can't get any better than the alternative restaurants on Celebrity's Millennium class ships!" He rates it right up there with Silversea, Crystal, Radisson, Seabourn...,

We love both Holland America and Celebrity!

Kel

Most cruisers fall into the category of preferring one cruiseline or another. Usually, its the line one feels most comfortable on - the line one feels "at home" on. For us that line has been Princess.

However, one needs to venture out and try other lines in order to do other itineraries and experience a different cruise style in order to avoid complete bordom. I think you will find that Holland America is a "homey" cruiseline and is the perfect line to choose when looking for an alternate experience to your regular cruiseline. You will be very comfortable and while Holland may not change your cruiseline preference, you will feel totally "ar home" and will definitely want to go back.

That's what happened to me. :)

Archived