What Credit Card provides free travel insurance?

DrSea

13 hours ago, Babr said:

You were not responding to me, but I thought I should add that, while the cancellation provision will apparently work for you, be aware that the Trip Interruption and Trip Delay provisions will be of little help if you are impacted by a positive Covid test during your trip or upon testing positive for a return flight. Neither will pay for hotel or meals - only change fees or common carrier delays.

Appreciate that comment but those possibilities are not problematic in this instance.  We are good with that risk.  

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 8:29 AM, galveston gal said:

Appreciate that comment but those possibilities are not problematic in this instance.  We are good with that risk.  

Well said in terms of "risk."  We each have our own level of risk tolerance.  So while some folks are willing to spend big money to insure most risks, others (like me) cover the potentially high ticket items (like a major medical problem and medical evacuation) and do not concern ourselves with things like CFAR (I like to call this cancel for a change of mind).   We just flew home (Monday) from Prague and had no special insurance to cover us if we had tested positive.  But we did have a plan.  Our airline would have changed our flight (and waived change fees) for COVID so there was no extra cost for air (and insurance would not have paid anything).  We knew where we could stay and an extra week in Prague would have cost us about $1500.   But we are already ahead by over $100,000 because of all the insurance premiums we have never paid so self-insuring an extra week in a wonderful city is not too awful (assuming we had few symptoms).

Hank

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 2:53 PM, Hlitner said:

We just flew home (Monday) from Prague and had no special insurance to cover us if we had tested positive.  But we did have a plan.  Our airline would have changed our flight (and waived change fees) for COVID so there was no extra cost for air (and insurance would not have paid anything).  

Hank

You will have to cover the higher cost of the last minute flight home, even without change fees.

1 hour ago, westcoastmom said:

You will have to cover the higher cost of the last minute flight home, even without change fees.

Not always true.  But it sure does depend.  The airlines have been pretty good on allowing free changes for those testing positive.   So much with the airlines changes on a daily basis.   For example, we had booked Delta One from Lima, Peru to Harrisburg and used miles plus the usual fees.  When Oceania moved the debarkation port from Lima to Santiago we were stuck with those useless flights home from Lima.  I called Delta to find out my options and, at first, Delta agreed to refund my miles but not refund the fees/taxes (a little over $200).  When I mentioned to Delta that the reason we were canceling the flights was that we had been totally screwed by Oceania (they moved the debarkation about 1500 miles with less than 3 weeks notice) the Delta rep asked me to wait and put me on hold.  A few minutes later she came back on the phone and said that they would also refund all of the fees since we had been screwed by "O."   

We know folks who tested positive when they were supposed to fly home from Puerto Vallarta and their airline agreed to change their flights for no extra cost.   But, at best, dealing with any airline is now like playing Russian Roulette.

Hank

• Thanks 1